Hurricane Matthew

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by StormChasee, Sep 30, 2016.

1. StormChasee

StormChasee The King of Potatoes

I'm watching the Weather Channel ~2150Z Friday and I see the hurricane has 140 mph winds. That's a doubling since Wednesday morning.

Jamaica, ERN Cuba, Bahamas and Haiti, you are in the threat zone. The US is not out of the woods.

2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Well that blows.

jeeperz2, Tweek516, BurnPyro and 4 others like this.
  3. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Can I just say how much I love that hurricane names are always extremely white and generic?

I am surprised that hurricanes are never named like hurricane Jamal or Abdulla, aka blame some sort of race/religion for fun.

Props to white people for not getting offended or outraged at this consistent slander. :D

jeeperz2 and aseryen like this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Hurricanes are given very generic anglo-saxon christian names.

nobody considers me a Hurrican, Hurricane Gerben :)

5. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

The fictional hurricane from Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland show was Hurricane Flozelle.

I mean, it was a fictional hurricane, but still.

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

when you think about it all hurricane names are fictional humanizations of a natural meteorological event.

aseryen and SPiEkY like this.
  7. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Hurricane shajazzakaren.

I live in Florida, and the last hurricane wrecked us. I am shitting my self over Matthew. It is hard to live/store food without a fridge.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

No generator?

9. OriginalG1

I do not have one. If power is for longer then week, gas gets hard to come by.

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

if you have a dry space that is well aired you can store apples, carrots, potatoes, and onions there for a long time. that gives you some basic meals if you mash em all together. add in some tinned and potted stuff and other food that can keep for a long while?

you can also have some fun trying ways people used to preserve food before refridgeration.

then again it's florida. and also there is a hurricane coming to blow stuff down and rain on you. so...

OriginalG1 likes this.
  11. StormChasee

Sunday morning and he hasn't made the definitive turn north yet.

Qucas and OriginalG1 like this.
  12. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

@OriginalG1 make an assesement of the threats to you and your house where you live and how long would it take to restore basic services.

then come up with solutions to these problems.

for instance if you feel your house itself is in danger of destruction you could right now be inquiring about the nearest shelter https://www.fema.gov/how-do-i-find-place-stay :

if food and water availability might pose a problem but you are on higher ground make a root cellar and put water, a sack of carrots and onions and potatoes and stuff in it http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/diy-root-cellar.html

Qucas and OriginalG1 like this.
  13. StormChasee

Good news; The brunt of this storm will miss Jamaica (unless there's an unforseen turn to the left).
    Bad news; Western Haiti and Eastern Cuba will get pasted.
    No change news; Bahamas you're next after the above.
    Change news; US east coast be on the look out. You may get a tropical visitor.

14. OriginalG1

it is 2016, how do we not have a giant baster orbiting earth that could remove Matthew from the ocean.

15. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

16. StormChasee

Somebody has a lot of time on their hands.

Hurricane is hitting the eastern tip of Cuba now. The grand tour of Bahamas will begin shortly.

Beyond that the east coast from South FL to possibly New England is in Matthew's threat zone. It will depend on how this storm interacts with the oncoming upper-level trough.

17. StormChasee

It's show time for Florida!

18. StormChasee

Looks like it's headed for the Cape somewhere between Melbourne and Daytona Beach.

19. Compost

Compost I need me some PIE!

Almost time. If I dont make it, I want you all to know,

FW is op.

BurnPyro and Geressen like this.
  20. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Oh, believe me, we all know.

Etherielin likes this.