Inspired by Burn's thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Makorov, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

The people who play this game come from all around the world, which I think is great. I've always been interested in other countries, and when I saw Burn's thread (the one asking you all to post pictures of yourself) I thought I'd do the same and ask for pictures.

But not of your ugly mugs.

I want pictures of your cities, streets, street signs, anything. Just go out there, there being wherever you're from, and take a picture of something. Just say where you're from and throw up a picture.

I'm from Los Angeles.

Please excuse my lack of photography skillz

The first one is of Los Angeles Union Station, mainly because I pass through there every day and it's a place you'll probably end up if you visit Los Angeles without a car. It was pretty dead, but during rush hour it can be a little hectic.

The second one is a tagging of Mudkip on the reflector of a stop sign. Just thought it was cute/funny.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. Qucas

Qucas Guest

All my pictures show up as broken, so I'll try again tomorrow. Anyways I live in Tucson, desert land.

3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I take offense to this

Anyhow as I do not own a twitter/instagram I'm not a qualified photographer and am unable to provide much. The grass is green and the sky blue though.

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I like the concept, I'll see what I can do.
    showoff.

5. Makorov

Something came up, so I'll get my pic up tomorrow!

6. Makorov

Oh that doesn't matter, you could just use your phone or whatever. It's what I'm going to do.

I saw your pictures. I now understand why people call you Fatty. You are gargantuan. Absolutely enormous.

7. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Screw you, I'll post my ugly mug if I want to!

[​IMG]

Geressen and Qucas like this.
  8. Qucas

Qucas Guest

Phones not working well Today but hopefully I'll have pictures tomorrow.

9. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

All my pictures are from like 8 years ago. But it's ok - I'm asian so the only thing that's changed is that half my hair is gray/silver now XD

10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I found this some time ago, it shows a lot of stuff about my country, mostly streets and stuff, I found it quite interesting to hear a foreign perspective on those.

Makorov likes this.
  11. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Genius.

Attached Files:

12. Makorov

This was definitely interesting! I haven't been able to watch the whole thing, since I had to head to class, but it's something I plan on finishing later.

Also, do you ride a bike? :3

13. Makorov

I don't get it :(

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

helmetless and in my regular clothes, everywhere I go.

cross the border into germany suddenly all cyclists are pretending to do the tour de france, and I find it hard to believe any claims of places being ''bicycle friendley"

at 38 minutes he points out the largest oil refinery in europe ... and the bicycle track going into it.
    near the later half he shows some nice and funny infrastructure.

anyways cycling is a large part of the Dutch cultural identity but I'd like to learn about yours too makarov, show me?

oh good, I thought I was the only one who didn't get it.

15. Makorov

Well, Los Angeles is a very, very, very, very, very, very^10, very diverse city. There are areas officially called Chinatown, Little Tokyo, and Koreatown where the street signs are written not only in English, but in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Store windows all over are covered in non-English writing, ranging from Spanish to Arabic (my mother's native tongue! woot!) to French, and intermingled in the wondrously obnoxious sounds of a big city are the spoken forms of those languages.

Such a wide range of culture and beliefs has made Los Angeles into an extremely liberal city. Head over to Sunset Blvd nowadays and you'll find it crawling with hipsters deviating from the mainstream and rocking new styles and ideas. The "wrong" sexual orientation doesn't condemn a person to hell, and racism (though it does exist) is looked down upon with an intense disgust. Los Angeles is much more open to, well, anything, than other parts of the country.

Of course, this tends to make some of the occupants a little overly politically correct. It generally has to do with Blacks and Black history in the country, and the topic was brought up during the case of Trayvon Martin, but it's a complicated matter that's a good distance from my field ( read "my field" as "my incomplete degree that I'm currently working on") so I'll just leave it alone here.

I've heard Northern Californians (Berkeley, San Francisco, etc.) think of Southern Californians (Los Angeles, San Diego, etc.) as materialistic and snobby.

Also, Hollywood

Please excuse my terrible attempt at summing up the culture of Los Angeles, but I'm short on time. This was sort of the generic things you'll hear. It's difficult to write a short post explaining life in Los Angeles, just because of how much there is to talk about. If you'd like I could look around for a video that'll give you much more, and much better presented, information.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  16. Makorov

So yeah, liberalism is a massive part of Los Angeles.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

on the topic of sexual orientations and how people look at them; I once saw a doe in the woods,
    I assume it was a doe but we were 10 meters from eachother and looking eachother in the eye for seconds when it turned and ran.
    I did not have the mental clarity to ask;''what is your sexual identity?"
    even if i'd have done that I admit I would be temporarily confused by an awnser like;"Well I consider myself a male deer in a female deer body and I like other female deer, so I guess I am a pre-op transexual straight bull deer"

But I wouldn't have judged it.

Also deer are usually not that talkative.

Qucas likes this.
  18. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

was it hot tho

19. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Chinese has different dialects and so you don't really say you speak "Chinese", you usually speak in Mandarin, Cantonese, etc. However, when it comes to *written* Chinese, you basically have the simplified and the traditional forms, so you write in "Chinese" using the traditional script to the simplified script.

Think of it as words like Tomato, it's still written the same way, but different people may say it differently.

Makorov likes this.
  20. Makorov

Just looked it up, thanks for the info! ^^