Lag Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by JazzMan1221, Aug 21, 2015.

1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Recently I've been experiencing major lag issues while playing. I say recently because this problem has just cropped up within the last few days. Basically, I get into a game (single player/PvP, doesn't matter) and everything's fine for a few turns, but as I continue playing the lag creeps in and gets worse. Eventually the game becomes unplayable. I haven't messed with any of my computer settings, nor have I changed any of Pox's. The game worked perfectly fine until about a week ago when I first noticed these problems. What info do you need to help with this? I'm willing to provide anything.

2. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Are you still having this issue? We just did a server restart for a hotfix which.

3. JazzMan1221

I am. In a game now, and I can't even deploy or end my turn.

4. Senshu

are you playing on steam or the standalone download?

5. JazzMan1221

Standalone download.

6. Senshu

Hmm, I am checking it out right now and am not having any problems. It could be a local problem on your computer. Maybe antivirus or your security settings were reset so that is causing an issue.

Try uninstalling the game and deleting the Pox Nora folder in your install directory. Make sure your video driver is up to date. Then update all your anti-virus/malware software and run a scan then turn them off. Install the game and then restart your computer. That will help eliminate many of the potential problems. Also, make sure you run Pox as an administrator.

By the way, what are your computer's specs?

7. JazzMan1221

Well, it turns out that my anti-malware was outdated by quite a bit. I updated it, ran a scan, and removed some potential threats. However, when I tried running Pox, the same problem cropped up again. I uninstalled the game as per your specifications, but that didn't help either. Here are my computer's specs:

Dell XPS L702X
    Intel core i7-2630QM CPU @2.00GHz
    8.00 GB of RAM
    64-bit operating system
    Windows version 7 professional

8. Senshu

Hmm, your specs seem all up to snuff. Did you update your video drivers. Have you tried using the Steam version to see if you have the same performance problems? That might be worth trying. When did you first start having these problems?

9. JazzMan1221

Hmm........I tried uninstalling the game, then reinstalling and running it using Steam. It downloaded fine, but when I started the application, I received an Out of Memory error during the loading screen: "Poxnora has encountered an Out of Memory Error while loading resources. The game will now close."

10. Senshu

That error means your video drivers are out of date. It is a common issue with older Intel integrated graphics. You will have to either go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ or to Dell's website to download the latest drivers for the integrated graphics. As a note, laptops tend to require proprietary drivers and if Dell has stopped updating the drivers there is little that can be done.

11. JazzMan1221

Still getting the out of memory error, even though I updated all my drivers using the link provided. Funny thing though, when using the non-Steam client, I never receive the out of memory error, yet the lag problems persist. I'm wondering, how can I find out if this is a problem on my ISP's end (aside from calling them)? Could it be I simply don't have enough bandwidth to run the game smoothly? I've got a whole 5.0 GHz right now, so it should be enough. I recently moved to a new apartment, but this was never a problem in my old building, so I'm hesitant to suggest that outside sources are interfering with my connection. Furthermore, I can run all my other games fine (e.g. DOTA, SWTOR, HotS) and they ought to take up a Bane Shift ton more bandwidth than Pox, right?

12. Senshu

First, for the video driver, do you remember the release date for the driver you downloaded? Some times the intel site does not list the drivers in proper order so the one at the top of the list may not actually be the newest driver.

Second, you only recently had the lag happen, right? When was the last time you played Pox Nora and didn't have the problem you are reporting regarding lag because your internet connection should be more than enough for Pox?

13. JazzMan1221

It was the most recent one, I'm sure of that. Also, the last time I played Pox without this problem was August 7th. The next few weeks were spent doing moving-related chores and visiting with family. August 16th was the first time I experienced this issue.

14. Senshu

Hmm, well August 16th was before the expansion and prior to that from when you last played there were no client changes, so it is highly likely that something on your computer was changed with either another program or with windows update. The video driver version date would be the first thing to look at. Otherwise it is likely if you downloaded a security update some of your firewall settings changed so if you had custom security settings you may want to look there.

15. JazzMan1221

So, this is really strange, but uh..........the problems seem to have been solved. Thing is I have no idea what I happened; I just tried to start the game yesterday and boom, no lag. Mucked around for a bit, just to make sure, and I've been playing most of today with no problems. Interestingly, the games I played today have all been using the Widescreen window mode, whereas my lag problems were occurring on the Legacy window mode. I re-downloaded the web client yesterday since the Steam one was giving me a memory error. The default setting happened to be Widescreen, so I just rolled with it for the time being. Seems to have fixed everything. Who'd have thought?

16. Senshu

Good to hear your problem has cleared up, but from what you described it sounds very much like a graphics card issue.