Laptop Thread! (Buying a new one, need help!)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EnigmaXIII, Aug 21, 2014.

1. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Not sure if it is a touch screen, if it is, you might want to just always use desktop mode, not sure if you have used Windows8 or not.

Also, once you set your up laptop, might as well run

http://www.decrap.org

3. EnigmaXIII

Its not a touchscreen (thankfully) i like the idea of touchscreen, but i hear it kills battery which i cant have since its for school. And i havnt used Windows 8 before, but im hoping i can figure it out.

4. EnigmaXIII

This decrapping thing worries me though, what if it ruins something important :X?

5. KelRama

KelRama The King of Potatoes

I like lenovo products. They are ibm.

6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

You could always just reformat right away installing Windows from scratch, provided you can get install media that doesn't have all the junk. It shouldn't ruin anything, since it won't touch drivers or the operating system. Also, don't forget to use ninite.com to install any legally free software you want on there. It will install with no extra junk.

7. EnigmaXIII

Hey guys! My Asus just came in. You guys were write about the brand, the computer is well built, and windows 8 has been easy so far lol. Everything about the computers hardware looks good. Its currently having a bit of latency, but its about as fast as my old carpier computer. I was hoping it would be a bit faster, but im assuming its because its running updates and what not, since my task manager said thats whats taking up most the cpu. Now u guys gave me a bunch of links to improve my latency, but im not sure i can trust such links, i would appreciate it if you guys explained what they do in further detail, and how much they make a difference @KTCAOP and @darklord48 .

Thanks again for all your help :)

8. KelRama

KelRama The King of Potatoes

Ur latency ? Get higher MBit rate at ur local internet provider.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Ninite.com is a site that will allow you to select all the free software you want to install, such as chrome, avg anti virus, java, Adobe reader, and a bunch more. You check the boxes for what you want, then it downloads an executable for you to run. Each time you run it, the latest version of each software you selected is installed. It automatically unchecks any extras like toolbars. It is free for private use, but makes setting up new pcs so easy that every small computer store I know of is paying to use it.

10. EnigmaXIII

Maybe latency isnt the right word.. the internet seems fine, the computer itself isnt AS responsive as i would like it to be, but already it seems like its gotten a bit better, pretty sure it was just downloading updates.

thanks a lot, sounds great :)

11. EnigmaXIII

oh and wanna recommend some stuff to install ;)? lol im familiar with many, not not all these options. First thing i must have is winrar :D.

12. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Funny how things work, I bought a new laptop yesterday. That ninite.com would've saved me a lot of trouble.

Just the runtimes by themselves are a huge time saver.

EnigmaXIII likes this.
  13. EnigmaXIII

My laptops having wifi connectivity issue, anyone know probable causes.. If i disconnect and reconnect it works fine, and i have a second laptop so i know its not my actual internet.. really weird. Pleaseee help :(

14. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I have no idea. But I was having the same thing with my Lenovo, apparently sometimes wires get crossed, but it annoys me too.

15. EnigmaXIII

What do u mean wires get crossed?