Mage of the Orbs (KF Champ)

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Xirone, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Mage of the Orbs (Alternate Version)
    Race: Elf, Class: Wizard, Size: Small, Rarity: Rare or Exotic
    Artwork: A lean female elf stands over a peaceful patch of grass. On one side of her is a radiant orb of light. On her other side is a dark orb which seems to be absorbing all light. The Mage of the Orbs is, hence, bathed in rather dramatic lighting.
    Flavor-Text: "Given the choice between light and dark, I choose light. I have seen enough in my life, however, to know that light means nothing without the dark." -Ae'ra, Mage of the Orbs
    Nora Cost: 74

Champion Stats
    DMG: 12, SPD: 6, RNG: 1, DEF: 0, HP: 48

Champion Abilities
    Drain- Target friendly champion you own loses 8 HP. This unit heals 8 HP. CD: 2, AP: 2
    Magical Attack- This unit makes a Magical attack at range 2-4. CD: 2, AP: 3
    Summon Dark Orb- A Dark Orb champion is summoned on to target adjacent space. This ability shares a cooldown with Summon Light Orb. CD: 1, AP: 4
    Summon Light Orb- A Light Orb champion is summoned on to target adjacent space. This ability shares a cooldown with Summon Dark Orb. CD: 1, AP: 4
    Sustain- This unit loses 3 HP and target friendly champion within 3 spaces is healed for 6 HP. CD: 1, AP: 1

Champion Upgrades
    Evasive 2- This unit takes 35% less damage (after DEF) from ranged attacks.
    Resistance: Elements 2- When this unit takes Fire, Frost, or Electricity damage, that damage is reduced by 35% (after DEF, rounded up).
    Resistance: Magical 3- When this unit takes Magical damage, that damage is reduced by 50% (after DEF, rounded up).
    Spell Aegis- When an opposing spell is successfully cast, opposing spells cost 5 additional nora for 5 turns.

Woffleet and GabrielQ like this.
  2. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

if no flight, should gain Sentry to increase casting presence. Alternatively, the ability that the Tortun wizard has that increases/decreases casting presence?

3. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Mystic push would be OP if it were in another runnable champion. It stacking 4 times would be too much

4. Xirone

It would be interesting if the Light Orb had a small spell casting presence. Summoned champs don't usually have spell presence, of course, but it would seem to fit.

Edit: Sentry 3 could replace Spell Aegis as an upgrade choice? You could sacrifice some protection for a greatly increased spell presence.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  5. Xirone

Hmmm.... If a summoned champ, which has 0 spell presence, is given Sentry 3, I wonder if it would then have a spell presence of 3? I'm not saying I would give the Light Orb this ability, but I do wonder how it would work.

6. Xirone

Just a thought but this champ, though designed to be an Elven Wizard, could really be any race in KF. She could be a Fairy Wizard, a Vashal Wizard, or a Garu Wizard, for example. There are a lot of Elven Wizards at the moment.

7. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

Light orb should be made into a stand alone champion!

8. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

your not gonna give her a basic attack makes more sense than non base attack
    also why have orb abilities when it can do anything only use for contest?

also why not allow her to have
    cast: stellar horizon when both orbs are placed

9. Xirone

Since this thread has been brought up again, I'll update the champ to reflect changes to general champion design.

Woffleet likes this.
  10. Xirone

Mage of the Orbs (Revamp Edition)
    Faction: K'thir Forest
    Race: Elf, Class: Wizard, Size: Small
    Rarity: Exotic
    Artwork: A lean female elf stands over a peaceful patch of grass. On one side of her is a radiant orb of light. On her other side is a dark orb which seems to be absorbing all light. The Mage of the Orbs is, hence, bathed in rather dramatic lighting.
    Flavor-Text: "Given the choice between light and dark, I choose light. I have seen enough in my life, however, to know that light means nothing without the dark." -Ae'ra, Mage of the Orbs
    Nora Cost: ???
    Deck Limit: 2

Champion Stats
    DMG: 0, SPD: 6, RNG: 1, DEF: 0, HP: 48

Champion Abilities
    Summon Dark Orb- A Dark Orb champion is summoned on to target adjacent space. This ability shares a cooldown with Summon Light Orb. CD: 1, AP: 4
    Summon Light Orb- A Light Orb champion is summoned on to target adjacent space. This ability shares a cooldown with Summon Dark Orb. CD: 1, AP: 4
    Swap (2)- Exchange places with target friendly champion of the same size within 1 to 4 spaces. CD: 2, AP: 3

Upgrade Path 1
    Drain- Target friendly champion you own loses 8 HP. This unit heals 8 HP. CD: 2, AP: 2
    Resistance: Elements (2)- When this unit takes Fire, Frost, or Electricity damage, that damage is reduced by 35% (after DEF, rounded up).
    Resistance: Elements (3)- When this unit takes Fire, Frost, or Electricity damage, that damage is reduced by 50% (after DEF, rounded up).

Upgrade Path 2
    Sustain- This unit loses 3 HP and target friendly champion within 3 spaces is healed for 6 HP. CD: 1, AP: 1
    Resistance: Magical (2)- When this unit takes Magical damage, that damage is reduced by 35% (after DEF, rounded up).
    Resistance: Magical (3)- When this unit takes Magical damage, that damage is reduced by 50% (after DEF, rounded up).

Dark Orb
    Race: None, Class: None, Size: Small
    DMG: 0, SPD: 4, RNG: 1, DEF: 0, HP: 12
    Champion Abilities
    Death Nova: Magical 4- When this unit is destroyed, it deals 14 Magical damage to each champion and Relic within 2 spaces, and deals half that much damage to any Shrine within 2 spaces. This damage ignores DEF.
    Flight- This champion is Flying (This unit ignores restrictions and penalties imposed by terrain and may move across chasm spaces without dying. This unit has two additional ranks of Sentry and is immune to the effects of Lumbering unless Grounded).
    Initiative 1- When this champion is deployed, it gains 1 AP for each opposing champion in play, to a maximum of 7.
    Oblivion Shield- Damage from the first successful attack from an attack ability made against this champion each turn is prevented.
    Short Lived 1- This unit is destroyed after 6 turns and leaves double the nora in their nora globe.

Light Orb
    Race:
    None, Class: None, Size: Small
    DMG: 0, SPD: 4, RNG: 1, DEF: 0, HP: 12
    Champion Abilities
    Amplify Magical- Magical damage is increased by 10%.
    Detection (2)- Enemy units within 4 spaces lose Stealthed and enemy traps within 4 spaces are revealed.
    Flight- This champion is Flying (This unit ignores restrictions and penalties imposed by terrain and may move across chasm spaces without dying. This unit has two additional ranks of Sentry and is immune to the effects of Lumbering unless Grounded).
    Initiative 2- When this champion is deployed, it gains 2 AP for each opposing champion in play, to a maximum of 7.
    Short Lived 2- This unit is destroyed after 8 turns and leaves double the nora in their nora globe.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
    Woffleet likes this.
  11. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

Swamp is great! love the changes

12. chickenpox2

i think it only fair that both orbs have short lived 1 or 2 they cant have 2 different abilities
    i still dont get what the point of mage of orbs or the orbs if it got no dmg or attack abilities they don't even give boosts you need to explain what it is for

13. Xirone

The Dark Orb has a pretty sizable Death Nova. There are many ways to make use of it. For instance, run Dark Orb to a group of opponents, cast Thorn Collection on it and do some very nice damage. You can also use knockback abilities to kill the Dark Orb and make it deal damage.

The Light Orb is much more situational. It is meant to be very useful in a Wizard BG. Each Light Orb amplifies magical damage and so, with 4 out, you'll have +40% damage on most of your units. It also has Detection which is something Wizard decks could use more of. Light Orb can also, of course, amplify the damage that the Dark Orbs deal.

The Mage of the Orbs is not a traditional champ but could be fun, I do believe, in the right deck.

Woffleet likes this.
  14. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

I like the concept, but I think it is a little too complex with two different orbs, both with a variety of unique abilities. Together with the orbs, we are talking about 8+4+5 abilities on 3 champs = 17 abilities. This diverges from the KEEP IT SIMPLE design philosophy that DOG is trying to bring back.

My top suggestion to you: As much as the dark/light flavor is nice, reduce this orb mage down to just one orb type. I love the idea of an orb with flight, magic death nova, and amp magic.

Overall though, I think this is a very cool champ and this gentleman very much comes to mind:
    [​IMG]

Woffleet and Xirone like this.
  15. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Didnt see the revamp edition, looks like there's a few less abilities.

I still say reduce down to 1 orb type and simplify the orbs. Initiative is not needed on the orbs. In the most recent Q&A, gedden mentioned that there are now summon abilities with a range - make this a ranged summoner!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  16. chickenpox2

did u make that? or copy from internet

17. Xirone

Yeah, I am starting to think one type of orb will be best. Also, if summons don't need to be spawned adjacent to the champ, Initiative isn't needed. I gave the Dark Orb Initiative so that he isn't sniped the turn he is made and injure the Mage with the Death Nova.

Thanks for the input!

Woffleet likes this.
  18. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Bump.

19. Xirone

Thanks for the bump, I would like to see this as some type of mid-term rune. Would be fun!

IMAGIRL, Tweek516 and Woffleet like this.
  20. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Woah this was suggested over two years ago.

How time flies I guess.