Make IS pass chasms impassable terrain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Mar 17, 2014.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Nothing more frustrating than losing a game because flying bgs are completely overwhelming on the map. They control the whole map by just going for the midfont while you have to either give up your sidefont or put a champ in it to guard it untill hell freezes over.

Mobilitycreep on maps like these is incredibly dumb

2. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Teleport must make you cry.

Goyo and korlash like this.
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Except that there are no full teleport battlegroups

4. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I disagree trollpyro. Part of BG building and balance is picking champs based on their mobility.

5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

I agree with burn, some extremely mobile BG's have undue advantages. Like when many fonts were exactly 8 away and everyone with 7 speed was screwed.

6. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

I think this has more to do with the unrelenting power of Flying decks (specifically Tailwind decks). If it's just one or two Flying champs, the map doesn't cause problems. But if the opponent's entire deck is Flying while you yourself only have a few Fliers, then yes the game is massively in favor of the Tailwind player. I, along with many others, have said numerous times before that Tailwind needs a range limit, or perhaps to get reworked altogether. The Imp racial was reworked for a similar reason: global AP is inherently toxic to game design if it's provided in such large quantities. Personally, I'd be very happy if the owls just deleted the Tailwind ability from the game.

As far as Flying in general goes, there has been some discussion about this before, where the consensus seemed to be that Flying as an ability was thrown around too liberally, with the devs (and players) not realizing how powerful an advantage the ability can be. Chasm maps are just one example, and I think some serious work needs to be done to bring down the power of Flying.

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

JaceDragon, Ohmin, Dagda and 3 others like this.
  8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

So themes with champs that all have flying require skill and are allowed to win matchups just because.

Ignorance? Check.

9. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

Its true but I always enjoy the one guy who is dumb enough to end his turn with a champ flying over a chasm....

10. Spiderchap

Spiderchap Well-Known Member

They also need to get rid of water and snow on some maps too. Those give whole factions unfair advantages.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

FS and ST are bad as a faction so it's no problem if the maps help them even the board

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I had a guy cliff his own unit the other day. Tried to fly over a cliff near a unit with Wind Aura.

Xinde and jeeperz2 like this.
  13. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Wind aura works again?

14. Dantezz

Dantezz Member

Mobilitycreep is my new favorite word

15. GabrielQ

If you move the affected unit, earthbound lingers, if you move the lockdown unit, earthbound is removed, if you deployed within lockdown's range, you'll have to do the movement twice to remove earthbound

16. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Welcome to Pox

17. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Not yet, dear one!

18. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

Moles go play SL (not skywings) then u can say s**t like this kk?

19. GabrielQ

X has flight, Y has lockdown.
    Y is within 5 spaces of X, so it has earthbound, now:
    Y moves away 1 space -> Y remains earthbounded, to fix this you have to move again into range and have X to move instead.
    X moves away 1 space -> Y loses earthbound

Y is deployed within 5 spaces of X, it has earthbound, now:
    Y moves away 1 space -> Y remains earthbounded
    X move away 1 space -> Y remains earthbounded
    X moves away 1 space, then it moves closer 1 space and then it moves away 1 space -> Y loses earthbound.

Sometimes, replace "remains earthbounded" for "doesn't regain flight"

20. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

HAHA good times..