Massively imbalanced in favor of the rich

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by niddhog, Mar 11, 2014.

1. niddhog

niddhog New Member

I have played this game on and off since the very beginning and despite the revamp back then and several game changes the most succesfull Players are still the ones with their ONLY LE/EXO decks...this sickens me because of the fact that a thick wallet wins over creativity. People not willing to pay hundrets of Dollars get crushed by competitive Players, whereas competitive stands for "rich People" in this case. If this issue won´t be considered in the very near Futur this game is going to fall hard.

GameJack likes this.
  2. Hekwit

Hekwit Devotee of the Blood Owl

Right, right. I probably could agree with you... when poxnora was under soe command... But now we have Rune Forge, pack/box for gold and playable free public decks. This game is now new player friendly. :)

3. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Actually, the most successful players are the most experienced players. It just so happens that the most experienced players also own a lot of expensive runes, simply because the longer a player plays, the more they will be willing to spend on the game. Naturally, the players with the most experience are those who have been playing longer than most, and so it follows that player experience is directly related to rune quantity. New players get discouraged when a player who has been playing longer (and therefore has more experience with the game) beats them. They see the other guy's expensive runes and think "Boy, that deck sure is expensive. That must be why I lost!" because we've been conditioned in this culture to think that money = power. This could not be further from the truth in Pox, especially with the advent of the Rune Forge. All that is required to obtain an "expensive" deck is time.

4. Donegals

Donegals Well-Known Member

Poxnora has always been pay-to-win but that is not as true as it once was. Sorry Niddhog, that bandwagon left the station a long time ago.....

5. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

The majority of my games either in training grounds or ranked (against other 5000 unranked) have been against players who are clearly advanced. Mostly level 99, hundreds of games under their belt, and well oiled decks full of legendaries (if ranked). Even as a former veteran of the game (years ago) with a rather expensive deck myself, that's enough to put me off. I can only imagine what this feels like to an actual beginner.

"This game is now new player friendly"? You sir, need a reality check. There is still a ton of work to be done, and until you manage to appeal to a large number of new players to level out the playing field, the barrier to entry is going to remain sky high.

6. Pico

Pico I need me some PIE!

I disagree entirely, I ran creative decks all the time and won. Also are you an imposter, I specifically remember nid having the before his forum name o.o

EDIT: Well I see nidhogg is a thing, but that name overlap is real.

7. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Uh, imagine a collectors game giving people who buy more cards an edge.

Also, nidhogg vs thenidhogg, you guys need to sort that out.

Ohmin, jenovah2 and TheNidhogg like this.
  9. ArchersAxe

ArchersAxe Member

To be clear, with the Rune Forge, this game is going to take a seriously good turn in the coming months. Demonveins, Skeletal Lerpers, there are more I could list, but they are all fully available to anybody who wants them. Also, although Legendaries may be limited now, we're looking at roughly every two boxes another Legendary being introduced into the system. There are ~150 players on right now and assuming 100 of them save their gold for a box each month by only doing the dailies, we're looking at adding 50 additional Legendaries to the system a month. That's a lot considering they're free and the only way they'll be taken out of the system is by sharks or quitting players.

10. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

The fact that the OP needs to imitate a respected player is MOST telling.

Thinking of another "T" word, but not sure if those-that-hide-under-bridges can be mentioned here.

11. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

There are so many people who are extremely rich who cannot leave rare league. I mean Ctharia and Harbs are runes only rich people have and they dont give the player an advantage at all...

StringerBell likes this.
  12. Kharon

Kharon Devotee of the Blood Owl

13. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

I am curious, what is a Nidhogg anyway?

14. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

15. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

While it's true that the very highest tiers of ranked are occupied by players with expensive BG's, at these tiers, the slightest advantages determine the flow of the match.

There is a feeling, especially amongst new players, that rarity is tantamount to power. Long time players know that rather than power, rarity determines the uniqueness of the rune, the diversity of it's skills. This can certainly be felt as an overwhelming advantage, against players with less developed BG's. The Training ground BG limitation of not including legendaries has lent even more credibility to this perception.

Many of the most unique runes, like Aspects, Angels, Doombringers, etc. are either too powerful or too unique in what they do to allow spamming multiple copies in the same deck. These runes, amongst others, should have Unique or Mythical as part of their core abilities. This would go a very long way towards reigning in the power/versatility curve of battlegroups/runes & help to further diversify the meta.

P.S. What is with people's fascination with naming themselves after famous Demons/Villains?

16. StringerBell

StringerBell New Member

I had to quote this since it's the funniest thing I've seen so far in the new forums.

Nice job Kharon!

DarkJello and Kharon like this.
  17. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Welcome to real life.

Tidus and DarkJello like this.
  18. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I know it's not the expensiveness of a BG alone which decides the winner, after all my BG is still fairly expensive (though outdated) and I still don't stand a chance against more experienced players. I'm just relaying my experiences at the bottom tier, and how this must feel to a completely new player. Consider that without spending tons of money, it will take a _long_ time before a player can collect enough gold for a reasonably powerful deck. So "rich" in this case can be defined both by having invested a lot of money and having invested a lot of time already.

I believe that the current player base is extremely "top heavy", and it's going to be difficult to provide a gentle point of entry for a complete beginner. The gap between those who have been playing the game for years now, and anybody who wants to join at this point is going to be immense. That's why it is so vital that a game has a constant influx of new players.

There is no easy solution to this, I'm just saying don't discount the frustration of a new player. If there is to be a revival of the game, this is going to be a major topic in the coming months.

enkiadu and badgerale like this.
  19. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

I always thought the game was massively imbalanced in favor of the guy who had the better draws on the first few turns.

20. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I own tons of runes.

I suck :)

Nemorga, viktorino and DarkJello like this.