Maxx & stitched combo & aspect of growth need a nerfing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bushido, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Bushido

Bushido Devotee of the Blood Owl

These champions / ability combos can win a game just by being deployed. I don't really see this as fair or good for competitive play. Basically it is the same as the old bluebelly slag / most SP decks. 0 skill winning,.

2. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

Sorry, I'm not very meta-savvy, what's the Maxx & Stitched combo?

3. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

no more nerfing and it is creative...I have never heard of stitch being op ever

4. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

It is creative. Stitched have been op plenty of times, unless that second part was sarcasm ?

5. Bushido

Don't get me wrong, I respect devilswrath for popularizing the combo; it was creative. Its also incredibly stupid and op, and basically skill less tho, and should be removed.

Sorry, I meant maxx should be nerfed, separately, as should aspect of growth. Both are game changing runes that require no skill to use and abuse.

As for stitched being op, they probably are, but I'm specially talking about the combo, which is op no question about it.

6. Mirior

Mirior The King of Potatoes

Maxxerek is fine; FW does not have and should not have a monopoly on strong late-game engines. He's a champ you have to respond to when it hits the board; spending 100 Nora on a stationary champion is a huge tempo hit, but you will lose if you don't do anything with the tempo your opponent is giving you. He's particularly strong against death-benefit decks, which I know is what you run; just because your particular deck has a bad matchup doesn't say much about the health of the game.

The Stitched combo has been nerfed repeatedly; I can definitely see how it was OP at one point, but in its current incarnation, it's a slow-moving, hugely-telegraphed punch. If you don't do anything to counter or prepare for it, that's on you. (There's a reason the only person I'm aware of who still runs it has a 40% win rate; don't complain because you happen to be in that 40%).

I 100% agree with you about Aspect of Growth + Magnify Beast; there's a very good reason that AoG is slated to lose Race: Beast in the next patch, the interaction with Magnify Beast perfectly covers AoG's weaknesses. I haven't seen a game with AoG without Magnify Beast yet, so I don't have an opinion on the champion in isolation.

Lastly, "requires no skill to use" is the laziest criticism you can make - it can apply to anything in this game. We're all just dragging our mouse across a computer screen and clicking buttons; any skill involved is in the eye of the beholder, any lack of skill involved is in the eye of the beholder. If I thought you actually cared about improving as a player, I'd recommend piloting a Maxx deck or a Stitched-combo deck for a few days; it would be a good way to see what happens when you play them brainlessly (it's the same thing that happens when you play any deck brainlessly - you lose).

7. Bushido

No, maxx is not ok. Dark summoning is busted , as is stitched combo. This is simple math, on roi of the runes, it isn't rocket science. Nothing else in game gives 65 nora a turn except healing, and even that takes extremely specific scenarios.

Also, to say that fw shouldn't have a monopoly on late game... ok fine, then why do UD units all get +4 damage? No actually fw should have one of the best late games, and they simply dont. UD would easily survive without a free win maxx rune. If by a some divine force, FW became overpowered, it would be righteously so for dealing with Bane Shift like maxx for years.

Also, as for aspect of growth, it has nothing to do with race beast. He literally counters all healing while buffing his own. He's basically an fs maxx, except he hard counters healing, the prot version of db.

Lastly it's not a lazy criticism to call a global rune with a very easy deploy condition to understand brainless. You literally deploy him anywhere, and he changes the whole board state. You don't even have to worry about some global relic kill or spell hitting him. He's safe, and by the second turn he s made 30 nora. No tempo hit. Just free win. Crystal Phoenix is more skillful.

This argument is easily solved when you see moga bait is literally rank 1 running maxx. Yeah very fair rune.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  8. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Using maxxerex sacrificial power to summon stitched

9. chickenpox2

Firstly how are you gonna win when stitched are mostly 70+

I don't think there many high value below 65 cost except for maybe stitched dreameater and blackguard maybe?

10. chickenpox2

If you can see why you are wrong tell me
    Screenshot_2021-02-12-19-51-46-98.jpg

11. Mirior

Mirior The King of Potatoes

The only way Maxxarek is generating a champ every turn is if your opponent is killing two of your champs every turn - why are you letting this happen? Unless you're running a cheap meat FW BG that revolves around spamming low-cost fragile champions and charging them in to die, losing two champs in a turn is a pretty strong sign that you've already lost; Maxxarek isn't what's defeating you.

You're right that deploying Maxxarek changes the whole board state - he costs 100 Nora, if he's not changing the board state when you deploy him, you've made poor decisions. If your opponent is able to fall back and keep you from chaining kills, you lose serious tempo; if they're able to kill Maxxarek quickly, you've lost a huge Nora investment. Knowing when he's safe to play and how to keep him safe is a skill, the same way that knowing when to play Serkan and how to keep him safe is a skill.

Lastly, MogaBait is also rank 1 running Thunderhoof (at least, he was when last I played him). If we were arguing over whether Maxxarek is a good rune, pointing to MogaBait's use of him would be an effective way to say he's worth playing, but that's the strongest claim this piece of evidence can support.

12. Bushido

1st. Maxx requires two to 4 champions about to be killed in order to return his cost in nora. That is not a large investment. There are plenty of times any faction will have two to four killable champions on the board. It's not just fw. Although, even if it was "just fw" it still shouldn't exist. Then, when he gets those kills, he generates 65 nora every two kills. It's like tariff but 33 nora a kill instead of 10. Nothing else in the game besides stitched combo and aspect of growth has that much return.

Next, serkan is not viable. The skill in playing serkan is to never play him.

3rd, thunderhoof is 8-9 speed champion with charge, and 20 damage, for 71 nora. You think that is a balanced rune too? I mean that comment makes me feel like you don't understand the numbers on the board.

And just so we are clear, I abuse overpowered things in fw. They are not fair, and they cause me to win almost every game i play. They probably shouldn't exist as they do. That being said, they are eclipsed by the absurdity that these three things produce. Which is sad, because it means things like zombies, witches, etc, which are fun and honestly more fair, will never see play under any circumstance. The only way to get to top 10, is to abuse op things. Even if you are tiny or moga.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  13. Bushido

No, they are both op, I didn't mean there is a stitched maxx combo, I meant 1) maxx op 2) stitched combo op 3). Aog op

14. Bushido

See comment above, typo

15. chickenpox2

Did you even read maxxerex's ability I put photo

16. Bushido

i'd just like to add that jellibrium need a nerf as well. Another thing that has been given a pass for far too long.

17. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

Everything Needs to be gimped to IS level so ISisOP again, then only then will game balance be achieved, cuz lets face it, IS Will never be OP again and thats a great baseline.

18. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

You really shouldn't say things that are contradicted so easily.
    upload_2021-2-26_18-26-48.png

I could also post a picture of Thunderhoof's 6 base speed, but somehow I doubt it would change your mind. If you want to let your opponent get 3 fonts just so you have one champ with above average stats and no defensive abilities, be my guest.

19. Bushido

I like how obessed you are with me , but hoenstly i've been playing UD and things like witches recently which tanked my rating. Not that I should be ranked high when i play FW, as it is not a viable faction. if you can't math and figure out that thunderhoof is not normal, i dont really care.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  20. Scrijordan

Scrijordan I need me some PIE!

lol nice one