multiple accounts = bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AmmonReros, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- "So I can spectate while doing something else"..."So I can be in 2 guilds at once" ... Still a little lean on bullshit reasons alts are a good thing for gaming if this all we got... as for rune pools that is a thing of convenience not necessity. I could run a rune pool on my main..

2. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

Well for me the main reason is to allow to play different "main" factions. I like to evaluate the competitve strength of my battlegroups independentely. I would really hate to play every faction on the same account, it would be such a mess.

Besides, once you are known as a good player people tend to queue dodge you on a constant basis. For those situations it's really handful to have an alt or two and to be able to just mess around with stuff you'd like to try.

3. Thbigchief

- Ok, Ill add "Im too 1337 for one account" to the list.

4. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

Good ;)

5. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Why is it a mess to have multiple factions on one account?

6. Thbigchief

1) Unfair abuse of promotions (renovators/harbies).
    2) Gold farming abuse
    3) Even less accountability and anonymity for nefarious actions (scamming, trolling, harassing, spamming)
    4) Smurf noob slaying - you should feel bad

super71 and Fikule like this.
  7. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Those four reasons far outweigh any positive implication an alt account might have. The only reasonable use of an Alt account I have seen so far is to run a runepool.

allyorbase, Fikule and Thbigchief like this.
  8. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

Because I have like 150 different battlegroups just on my SP account.
    Also, my rank would be on a roller coaster. In theory unranked games exist to test new stuff but in practice you often have to wait forever to get an opponent, and then he will take some kind of crap bg and yell at you because you are using "meta".

Anyway my point was that there are several practical reasons to like multi accounts that doesn't involve abusing the system to get advantages.

Multi accounting is pretty common in any online game and it brings its share of problems that the developers usually find a way to deal with, since it's close to impossible to effectively ban it.
    Pox did the same so far and I don't think it's our business to discuss the question, if the devs feel like they are losing too much money because of multi accounting then they will put more effort into trying to forbid it.

9. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

I'm curious how using a separate account to test new bgs in ranked isn't an abuse that gains an advantage over people not using an alt account.

10. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

What is the advantage?

11. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Here is nice example of why I think multiaccounting should be banned.

[​IMG]

Thbigchief likes this.
  12. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Wow, not sure what all those decks are, I think the most I've ever had (across all 8 factions) is 17. Although it speaks to the fact that we need a better deck managing system.

13. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Your either new here or also have an alt lol

14. Thbigchief

- By testing you meant = stomping nubz without risking your time to queue for unranked games or risking losing a match in ranked.

15. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

Meh, first you assume that I am as good with any crappy new bg I try than with my main ranked one, which is far from being true.
    Secondly, if I'm top 50 with FS then even if I make a new account I will end up being top 50 again very soon. So I will spend maybe a couple of days in the lower ranks, is it so terrible for lower ranked players to fight some more experienced opponent on occasions? Because if it is the case then let me tell you that it's alraedy happening all the time. Even with my top ranked account I get ranked against freaking rare leaguers on a daily basis. That's mostly an issue with the small size of the community.

You could even go further in the reasoning and find out that in some cases there is actually less noob-stoping if I use new accounts to try new stuff instead of constatly switching. Cauz if I did it with my main, my rank would drop quickly and then when I would swich back to my strongest bg lower ranked people would be fighting that instead of the crap bg in question.

I'm not gonna say that abuses don't exist or aren't common but the person in your example is most probably lying. It seems to me highly unrealistic that someone would create 6740 fake e-mail adresses just for this game. Besides, if there were really people with 100 Renovators in the nature then we wouldn't have like only 20 to 30 of each on PoxBox, and their price would be much lower. Those free limited runes usually have very low market price anyway.

So I'm not a hardcore defensor of multi accounting, I'm just trying to be realistic here. In a perfect world they could be banned but I have a hard time seeing that happening here. You can't also deny the fact that they offer legit advantages just because you are not using them.

16. Thbigchief

- We're not denying alts give you substantial advantages...we're arguing your definition of "legit". It is very terrible for smurfs to stomp there way up through the ranks yes... League of legends shows what happens when you have a significant game population that makes alts. It is smurf elo hell. Either you have a smurf duo Q ...if you play it straight you roll the dice. It does nothing positive for gaming ... and the only counter I hear is to do the same. You know why you do it, if it's too hard to justify its usually for a reason.

17. Fikule

You assume "stomping" is the only abuse.

What about the fact that you are artificially increasing your main account's rating by always using "perfected" BGs.

Compare this to people who do their experimenting on their single, legitimate, account.

So you're stomping lower ranked players to justify artificially increasing your rank over other players. So you're cheating new players and the ranking system as a whole.

Because you don't want to use a new BG in ranked or wait for a non-ranked game.

18. Kimiz

Kimiz Active Member

And the end result is exactly the same. Rank doesn't add up as far as I know.

Using a new BG in ranked is exactly what I'm doing. The only difference is that I don't want the new bg to start at rank 10 but as unranked. Just because I was able to achieve rank 10 with a strong SP bg that I have been using for years, should my new KF bg that I have no experience with also start at rank 10? I don't see any more sense in that. Basically in other games you have the option to create new accounts to try new characters. In Pox I see different factions as different characters. You are not forced to see it the same way but trying to make me feel bad about it is a bit displaced.
    Yes the ideal would be to have a real "noob league" for unexperienced players, and to give the possibilty for others to immediately start at exotic league if they want to. That would be a system "fair" to everyone but it isn't implemented so far.
    (Either that or the possibility to start multiple "ranked sessions" on the same account with different battlegroups.)

Thbigchief made a decent point in his last post, even if I don't currently think it's as much of an issue as he does.

No that once the experimenting guy has enough experience with his bgs he will achieve the same rank than the main account guy. And since ranks only count at the end of the session it pretty much has the same result.
    The only difference is that the main account guy will be fighting similary ranked opponents with his strong bg in the meanwhile. (And maybe lower ranked opponents with his worse bg)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  19. Fikule

So you're saying the guy experimenting with new BGs on his single account loses the same amount of ranking as your main account?

But to be fair, we simply aren't going to agree if your stance is that your main account should be entitled to using only the best BGs to maintain rank and that you're too impatient to use the unranked queue.

Also, my assumption was that lower ranks were "noob league". But then I suppose I didn't take into account that low ranks aren't noob league, that's BG testing league and these noobs need to back off and find their own, currently non-existent, league :p

20. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

Noobs should probably stay in TG with their free BGs that could never be competetive at all and dont try to bother (with) the pros.
    /sarcasm