Need Help Fighting Nohkando

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by SkeletonKing, Feb 24, 2015.

1. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

I need to discuss Nohkando with you guys.

[​IMG]

This ability is the bane of my existence. It's pretty much the only thing in the game that makes me want to rage quit every time I see my opponent spamming it.

It was suggested that I look for the following things to help me counter it. (And FYI, I hate the idea that I have to build my BGs around the idea I *might* face Nohkando)

• Precision
    • Distraction
    • Stun
    • Paralyze

• For Precision, I've found Pyro, Crossbones, Skeletal Rifleman. Do we have any other sources of Precision? I don't see anything for my non-Skeleton BGs. Especially anything close-combat oriented.
    • For Distraction, we have the Distract ability on a few champions, on upgrade lines, competing against better upgrades. (Not to mention that Distract needs you to hit the enemy first so that's a no-go.) Are there any other sources of the Distract effect in FW? Preferably ones that don't need to hit first?
    • For Stun, all but two seem to require hitting first (again, a no-go). "Stunning" and "Stunning Wail" (Maybe? not sure if Stunning Wail would trigger NKD) Not that it matters, it looks like we have neither in pure FW, unless there are other sources of the Stun effect I don't know about, are there?
    • For Paralyze, all I found was the Mindthief creeper and the rather useless Bloodbinder Count (if I skip Boon of the Undead on his upgrade bar), leaving everything but worms out in the cold.
    So, after looking for the abilities that were recommended to me, my big, grand list consists of:
    • Crossbones
    • Skeletal Rifleman (and Pyro)
    • Bloodbinder Count
    • Mindthief Creeper
    Not exactly a great list. And it's a list that doesn't even help Zombies or Spirits in the least.

Are there other ways in FW to get these effects that don't require hitting the enemy with an attack first?

Also suggested to me Spell Spam, Summon Spam, AOEs, and Auras.

• Spell Spam will help me with 1 NKD champion, but when 2 or 3 more are deployed, I'm SOL.
    • Summon Spam is also pretty inefficient as I'll take a crap-ton of damage from counterstrike effects while attacking
    • AOEs and Auras just can't get the job done fast enough when a NKD champion is camping on your font.

So please, any help you can give me for defeating NKD would be appreciated. It really is hurting my enjoyment of the game.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Anima26, claydude5, SaintKiwi and 2 others like this.
  2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Right off the bat (I'll write up more helpful stuff later):

When burning through NKD, use units that won't be damaged by counter attacks e.g. if a unit has Riposte, cut through the NKD stacks with ranged units.
    Use auras, if you have them. Afflicted Corpse with Aura 2 and Locust and put out most of its damage without directly attacking. Corpse Pile is also good.

A few words from another thread.

3. Darkorona

Darkorona The King of Potatoes

just waste his 3 attack stacks on cheap attacks like with haunt/wake the dead units, revenants from magistrate, rifleman in skeletons is a good option too. NKD its not that much of a problem to FW with spells like doom, domi, mobilisation, essence drain. i actually play spirits a lot and don't have a problem with them

4. SkeletonKing

I understand what your saying, but this is actually the piece of advice that I've received before that seems to work the least for me.

Example scenario: My opponent starts off with something with NKD and Riposte, so I spend the next couple turns putting out ranged champs.
    I eventually put out enough Champions that with 5 or 6 attacks a turn, I can start eating through NKD and getting to the champion underneath.
    Now the entire time I was deploying these ranged champs (which I HAD to deploy if I was gonna kill the guy in the Font), he's deployed champs like Khong and the Arrow Catchers (with NKD) and moved them into the Font also.

What now? I have multiple ranged champions, but they are facing off against multiple enemies that get free counterattacks when I do ranged attacks (above and beyond them not taking damage while they get the free ranged attacks).
    Seems like I just got setup for the loss.

This is the scenario I'm encountering over and over.
    I finally get the pieces needed to kill one, and by the time it's dead, I've spent so many resources and deploys trying to counter it, that the rest of his force is left completely unchecked.
    And they've all got NKD and counterstrike-like effects too.

Just thinking about it is making me want to starting yelling obscenities at the computer all over again. >.<

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Don't change your deployment, just change your attack selection. NKD is something better played around rather than counter-deployed. So, deploy the same ranged and melee units you want to deploy, ignoring NKD, and then use those differently on the field. Honestly, trying to shake up your deployment choices to mess with NKD is probably a component of your frustration: it will do more harm than good (outside of a few corner cases).

6. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Skeletonking, my advice for you is simple: do not waste AP on NKD units if you cant kill them on that specific turn. Instad, use your AP to do other things, like moving closer to your opponents font, attacking other units or using things like bombs/cones.
    In other others, do not use basic attacks to kill NKD units unless you can one round it.

7. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

OR instead of doing nothing like this guy up here told you, you can use your summons to take the ap and use this little mofo spell https://poxbase.com/spell/313.
    The NKD units are not a problem, the NKD with RIPOSTE are the problem, that combination should be higher on noracost.

Lol at the skeleton cartoon it goes with your mood and the thread gj.

8. negatorxx

negatorxx I need me some PIE!

feed it cheap summons while you maneuver around it.

While that is happening, stack disease aura units next to it. Will die in no time, or be forced to use AP and move.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

If you can only get one tick on it, make that tick have DoT.

10. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

Grim well the font.

SkeletonKing likes this.
  11. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Auras work wonders. Also Drudgery makes all jakei cry icy tears.

The only champ that may have some issues is that blasted one with stealth but that may be more to do with the combo of stealth + no-can synergy.

OriginalG1 likes this.
  12. SkeletonKing

Seems like everything synergizes with Nohkando too well.
    On the witch, do you normally take Drudgery over the other two options?

13. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

depends on what else I'm running in the bg.

If I'm running steal life x2 then hells yeah.

There's currently the witch and the stitch for drudge sources

14. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

Imagine obsidian venger with precision + punish :eek:.

HiveLord and Leadrz like this.
  15. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

"i don't just counter NKD i firk it up." ~ new flavor text.

16. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Don't forget about bombs, Dark Favor, Doom, Ritual of Destruction, Sacrifical Altar, Death Nova, I believe Frightful Blows protects from counter attacks, Pain Curse, Blood Magic, Deafening Aura, Blind, and Final Word. Not all of the abilities I listed will be optimal choices, I haven't played Witches much, and Zombies it has been a long time.

17. SkeletonKing

Is he actually getting precision?
    Because if so, he will be run in every BG I make, even Worms, just to be my "F U NKD" Rune.
    Please say it's so... If not, this may be my new crusade.
    It'd simultaneously give us a good champion-based answer to NKD AND make the Venger worth running. 2 birds with one stone!
    (As long as Precision wasn't on the same upgrade line as punish)

18. SkeletonKing

I think I'm gonna work on a new tactic for dealing with Nohkando...

I'm going to build a Nohkando BG. It'll take me away from my precious FW for awhile, but one of two things will happen.

Either a mediocre player like myself will fly up the ranks, proving how broken it is.
    OR
    I'll see what exactly other people are doing to counter it, and I'll learn how to do the same.

Anima26 and doubtofbuddha like this.
  19. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

If you need any help with this let me know. I am fairly opinionated about the various NKD champions and what you should do to build a potentially good NKD bg.

20. SkeletonKing