Nerf Flame Siphon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WhatTheHex, Feb 7, 2015.

1. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

Flame Siphon is pretty bonkers. Definitely in specific scenario's.

You could tone it down a little. Like rank 1 100% and rank 2 150%. Maybe more. I'm sure people will still run it even with a decrease like that.

Edit: I think it is too strong because it can still be ran after being nerfed which means it was initially a bit over the top. Now I know it's hard to see this because it is way to subtle to notice. It's not something that owns you in your face like " 7 speed flyer caps mid font right of the bat GG".

Edit : Apparently I need to give more info in my starting post because some reactions to my thread are just sad and un-constructive. No idea why you would bother posting those in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

3. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

the nora gen hardly goes over 20 and you're damaging your own troops in the process

telling me it's just bonkers doesn't help your case

4. WhatTheHex

I just think in a lot of cases the "dmg" to the champs (summons or the scorched dwarf) isn't relevant. It might just be to subtle to shine out as "OP". But it feels like it's really really strong. Then again it does cost AP. I made the thread because I felt the ability could be touched without shoeboxing the champs who have the ability, because it's that efficient.

5. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

I feel like the range of flame siphon is excessive. Like does it really need to be 6 range?

6. Baalzamon

Baalzamon I need me some PIE!

Flame Syphon... Really?

7. WhatTheHex

The range makes it really efficient because you can deal damage to your scorched dwarf for example.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Cut range to 3 or 4 maybe?

9. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Hard to get support for nerfs within the most popular and played faction.The ability itself is fine,its just that when cast on summons/champions behind shrines or anything can heal itself quickly that it becomes very good.

claydude5, mw24 and SaintKiwi like this.
  10. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Yeah, making it only able to target real champs and/or decreasing the range of it sound reasonable to me.

11. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

Flame siphon shines because other forms of nora gen have been nerfed over time. Deep miners, nora cows, extraction and marsh song buffs imo.

Poxjedi and BurnPyro like this.
  12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Heard this before only in passing. Elaboration?

It does hit on some theoretical ground that might touch on MtG standard right now, so am curious.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Oh, you made the comment that nora gen might be unhealthy for diversity (or at least had a quote to that effect), which is what might tie into MtG. Could you elaborate on that part in particular? I'll start drafting a summary of how that relates to MtG Standard.

14. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

Nora cows and miners were actually viable pre-revamp. They were in a good spot- not just brainless deploy-when-drawn, but modest nora costs. Now they're absurdly expensive. I even heard that the nora miner had something like a ~20/30+ nora modifier.

15. Poxbrothers

Poxbrothers Devotee of the Blood Owl

[​IMG]Nora Miner6 NoraRank 1
    At the beginning of your turn, you gain 3 nora.

[​IMG]Nora Miner12 NoraRank 2
    At the beginning of your turn, you gain 6 nora.

[​IMG]Nora Miner18 NoraRank 3
    At the beginning of your turn, you gain 9 nora.

16. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I think he meant the Deep Miner, man

claydude5 likes this.
  17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Probably more than that. It's paying 63 nora for its stats. Maybe that's alright though: Miner still has a ~6 round payoff, which is bad but close to other forms of Gen.

18. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Personally I dont mind flame siphon, but maybe its range could be reduced.

19. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I'd take this type of Nora gen over passive Nora gen ...any day of the week and twice on your moms birthday. As far as it being over-efficient in certain scenarios ...definitely but passive was always mindless drops.

- Now flame siphon actually requires a particular setup which ironically is made worse by guess what? ..a passive Nora gen unit in the scorched dwarf. So id rework scorched dwarf and consider just removing Nora miner from the game as it works currently. Make it require some type of action to trigger Nora gen ie. deep miner could simply have Nora shield and bodyguard or pillage or gains Nora for equip drops or destroyed ...something other then herderp gen Nora.

- back to flame siphon ...tough ability to balance since in order for it to be useful you need to stack the deck in its favor....summons, healing , regen, non-combat unit out of danger etc. I think you could def just make siphons from non- real champions give 50% Nora return for damage dealt as a compromise. Otherwise its purpose is to gen Nora thru damage that if you cant mitigate makes the whole concept not worth it imo. Your not going to siphon a key champ that has no way to heal or recover...so the ability still needs to be planned out before use which justifies the Nora gain for the most part imo.

20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

So what ur tellin me is Gedden made terrible decisions everywhere? As of he's gme carving with a sledge hammer?

I agree.

We can't even comprehend all the dmg he's done. It will continue to reveal itself over time.