Net Neutrality...is it the beginning of the end?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nepyonisdead, Nov 21, 2017.

1. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

So we are all hearing reports of the new administration in the US planning to implement the anti net neutrality law and this has me scared shitless.

So for those of you that dont know net neutrality is a law thats meant to force internet providers to load all different websites at equal speeds thereby allowing u equal access to free and sponsored websites etc...

Now the new law thats going to be passed will eliminate that and in essence speed ur access to websites that has been sponsored / serve specific agenda etc and will slow down the other websites and what that means is that alot of people will be exposed to alot of one sided information without knowing so....Needless to say this scares the Firk out of me because that essentially means youll be getting alot of ur information from one source who is wealthy enough to control the flow and essentially is a new way to control the masses

Am I overreacting to this? is there more that i am not aware of? please share ur opinions here and what u think this means to us moving forward

super71 likes this.
  2. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

What exactly will this mean for people outside the U.S? Do we just get to carry on as normal?

Tbh I feel like this might be a huge boon to smaller ISPs. While the capitalist fatcat ISPs will likely push whichever agenda they're being paid to push, the small companies could offer customers incentives like "equal speed for all sites guaranteed!" This would allow them to grow their businesses to the point where they could compete on equal footing with the big guys, at which time they'd have won enough people over for them to charge lower rates across the board.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  3. nepyonisdead

thats a great point but its also a pandora's box where the big fish supported by the big donors will always swallow competing small fishes with their infinite resources, also about the impact this would have I am sure the ripple effect would affect the world in different severity but the bottom line is its a sort of ''freedom'' u stand to lose. One could argue that this goes indirectly against the right to free speech but lets face it, this administration cant be arsed to check the constitution before passing laws xD.

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

This is a major negative for smaller ISPs in the US because they use the infrastructure of the larger ISPs and are essentially little more than franchisees. Even if the smaller ISPs are not throttling things themselves they have no way to control whether they are being throttled themselves by the larger ISP whose network they are using.

Tweek516, Kampel and nepyonisdead like this.
  5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

doubt it's the beginning of the end, but i'm pretty sure it's getting worse before it gets better

6. nepyonisdead

gotta make a title to attract the masses :)

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

can you just depose your goverment already.

Tweek516, Alakhami and nepyonisdead like this.
  8. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

9. nepyonisdead

There are some people like Bernie sanders and until recently Elizabeth warren who make me believe there is a possible brighter future ... unfortunately these are the guys that get screwed over in the big game because they still believe in playing by the "rules"

Kampel likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

as a rule you should just not trust countries that have never tried to enter or have withdrawn from the statute of Rome ( the international criminal court) which are the red and orange countries.
    [​IMG]

11. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Firking hell. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. After all, they have a lust for them wars

12. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Never trust orange countries. Gotcha.

BurnPyro likes this.
  13. nepyonisdead

Id go a step further....never trust a country with a vowel in its name

14. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Sadly your not overreacting, and this has long been in place. Americans are mostly to stupid to recognize what's happening, or they are to worried about race wars and North Korea to recognize what's happening.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...ma-gives-away-internet-national-security/amp/

That was the start of everything, good ole obama the best president ever.

15. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

too* ?

Alakhami likes this.
  16. super71

Anything intelligent to say on the article or the usual childish antics ?

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I'm just trying to teach you how to write.

Someone here has to.

18. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Sadly because of how much the internet depends on infrastructure in the US this seems like it will affect more than just the US.

That said, all my knowledge about this topic is just from reading the odd post about it in the last few weeks.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  19. nepyonisdead

thats their weapon :) alot of people cant be ****ed to know this Bane Shift and rightfully so....we have alot of Bane Shift going on in real life. Thats how they pass legislations to Firk people over from behind xD

20. super71

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...-heres-what-your-internet-will-look-like/amp/

This article is just to inform people a bit of the consequences of ending net neutrality, which I feel all our governments have already started practicing, I don't think it's a coincidence that all our internets are currently slow, and this is right around the corner.

Please, if your in the United States, protest, send letters to congress, raise hell, because this will pretty much be the nail in the coffin for freedom of anything. I've been saying for years, cable companies will eventually do something to stop people from using Netflix, Hulu etc. they are losing money by the truckloads because we're all going to the internet for entertainment now.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017