New online competetive turn-based tactical customizable strategy game!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This is pretty interesting, because I have a "pie in the sky" design for a game like this. Tho it's real time, with procedurally generated maps and is more attaching Widgets (that I guess in of themselves are script snippets) to units that modify their behavior.

2. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Haha, that's pretty much the game I designed: AHK Programming Arena

The maps are procedurally generated (the resources, anyway). The units are modular as follows:
    • hp
    • move
    • attack
    • gather
    • scan
    • build
    So, an immobile unit-building "factory" unit with 2 "build" modules would be represented programmatically as "000.002", for instance. A move-scan-attacking soldier unit with extra hp might be: "211.010". Units in the game are visually distinct according to which and how many function modules they have.

The players start with 1 commander unit each: "411.111" at the beginning of the game. Players' AI scripts should contain a collection of behavior classes that are assigned to their units - the first of which is the commander.

So the simplest behavior script might look like this:
    MorphaClass1:
    If (MorphaResources > 3) ; If you have more than 3 resources
    {
    If (MorphaClass2unitCount > 5) ; AND you have more than 5 workers
    AA_Build(111.010, 1currentunit, 3) ; build an attacker (assign Behavior Class 3)
    Else
    AA_Build(101.110, 1currentunit, 2) ; otherwise, build a worker (assign Behavior Class 2)
    }​
    return

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

IMAGIRL, Ragic and iPox like this.
  3. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

I don't understand what you guys are saying... :oops:

But I'm fascinated. :eek:

4. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

I just started playing Duelyst again, and dropped a little over 100$ on it (Sorry Pox).

Still loving it. Still maining Vetruvian and Abyssian, and trying to get my Vanar and Magmar built up on the side.

The chess-like simplicity is what keeps bringing me back.

5. EnigmaXIII

EnigmaXIII I need me some PIE!

Hey guys, im back from yet another hiatus. I hope my title didnt mislead you, because this post has nothing to do with poxnora :D! I found this new TCG/Strategy game called Deulyst. Its really freakin clean. Its really similar to hearthstone but with a very different appearance, and u can actually move your units. Its no where near as huge or complex as pox, but its not as simple as hearthstone either. It's a very interesting inbetweeen and man, ive only played for 2 hours but i love it. Anyways yall should check it out, im curious what you will think.

https://duelyst.com/

6. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

/offtopic

7. EnigmaXIII

8. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Saw this a while ago but i don't like the simple style, it seems really bland. The more realistic maps of Pox add so much to the game.

9. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

You'll catch more flies with a lets play video.

DarkJello likes this.
  10. EnigmaXIII

Aint tryna catch no flies homes. I just wanted to share my opinion. I honestly dont think anything compares to pox, in regards to both its successes and its failures. Pox is by far the most interesting due to its complexity. Its also the biggest mess ive ever seen. There are something that are complex for no reason in pox and are just unnecessary. Anyways im really just tired of pox, its honestly exhausting just thinking about the game. Theres so much it needs, so much it lacks, and so much that we need to get rid of.. Id rather just relax and look at duelyst for now. Hey if nothing else, its got some damn good art.

11. Ragic

Art which is showcased nicely in the lets play video. I don't care if you have an agenda or not. Let's play videos are worth a thousand walls of text.

DarkJello and Goyo like this.
  12. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Most of us on the forums got into the Alpha/Closed Beta already. Going to merge this one into the older thread for this an use it as a bump.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Duelyst is pretty cool

DarkJello likes this.
  14. Ragic

As to the art.. It's bit too much like an old sega fighting game if you get me. What's wrong with a simple sword swoosh and blood splatter? Instead every move has to give off lightning bolts or something.

DarkJello likes this.
  15. Ragic

My first 2 games the other guy quit after about 5 moves. Don't know if they were cowed by my superior play, quit early to farm games played for quick gold, were vets giving me easy wins as a way to welcome new players, or just got tired of waiting for me to make my moves. Either way I find it off putting.

16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Small map games are fail IMO.

17. Ragic

pox cant offer specific challenges like in deulyst because the runes change too often. and then they wouldn't keep them updated. and then new players would actually get turned away by them.

18. EnigmaXIII

Hahahahaha xD sad part is im pretty much that scrub ur refering to :/ Songhai4lyfe.

19. EnigmaXIII

Honestly, I dont even game that much anymore. But when I see something well done, I want it to succeed. I've barely played this game for more than a few hours, but it honestly just seems so clean. If pox was clean, it would be better than this im sure. Things work like they're supposed to. There are very few bugs. The HUD/UI are great and clear. The game itself is not necessarily simple, but its complete enough to seem that way. I wonder if DOG had the kind of money and resources these guys had if they could make something even better than duelyst. I hope duelyst becomes super successful and very popular. I might not even play it, but it just seems deserving.

20. EnigmaXIII

I havnt played the game overall that much. Of all the factions, however, songhai seems the most versatile.. The others are SUPER themeatic.. Except leyonar i guess. I would imagine they were designed as basic factions with very simple mechanics. I will admit, pretty much every other faction seems to have stronger units.

Let me be more precise. Most games i play, songhai tends to develop SOME win condition.. It has many to choose from, it doesnt depend on a single one. Well i guess it depends on your deck but thats how i try to design mine. I have ways of relocating myself and my enemy. I have ways of gaining massive amount of damage in a turn. I have ways of geting value (mainly through backstab). It also has tons of spell damage. I often just have the right numbers in my hand to win, even against abyssian, or the snow lady who seem to be the most popular.

I was gonna actually ask u for advice. For your general decks, do u have a number of units, artifacts, spells u tend to have? Most of the time I run about 10-15 spells, 20 units, and 2-3 artifacts. Also, do u tend to run x3 of the really good stuff, or do u prefer diversity?