New Player Gift V.2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heroex7777, Apr 11, 2016.

1. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

Similar to Vorian's idea to allow new players to try the runes they want, they can be allowed to forge for free.

Simply allow them to forge account bound runes of their choosing.

Something like "Forge Credits"
    1 Legendary
    3 Exotics
    7 Rares
    15 Uncommons
    25 Commons

Each account has access to forge the above, new or old. These bound runes can then be re-broken down into Forge Credits to try a new bg. With a timer of 3 days or so. New, or old players can then test/use runes without being committed to owning a rune or get taxed through poxbox or other stores.

The benefit of this for new players is that essentially, they could build a "meta bg" for free right from the start and have access to all the runes. Some people might say, why would they ever pay for the game then? They'd pay because they want access to more than 50 runes at a time. Or if they wanted more than 1 leg/3 exo's in their bg at a time.

The goal is to get new players feet/foots in the door by allowing them access to any rune they want. This system gives incentive for playing for more than a few days because they want to play different runes and the veterans can post suggested bg's for the new players to forge.

Also if tournaments ever come back around this format of 50 runes could be used. Between each match they have 20 runes that can be interchanged upon their choosing.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but I think it'd be simple to just copy/paste the rune forge and apply the rarity limits.

When I first started, I didn't have winning in mind. I just saw the badass rune art on Ice dragon, Crystal Phoenix, Arctic Turtle and eventually, JFQ and wanted to play them. I traded like heck to get them. Other people may have winning as a priority so they can forge what they want.

In conclusion, I believe this system is a win for new players, a win for veterans, allows veterans to post suggested bgs and the thought behind them of how they should be played for the new players to learn and play with, and lastly of course, a win to DoG in that new players=new income.

2. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

That's interesting, but including new runes would most lifely affect the sales. With every new expansion one could just change this rune pool to get the new runes, since they're much harder to get initially.

3. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

Yeah, just like the forge you can't make the newest expansion.

Lushiris likes this.
  4. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

This is the best new player suggestion I have seen so far.
    Fully approve of it.

5. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Yea it's very solid and can't be exploited. But are we really sure that this would benefit sales more than hinder them? It might sound obvious that it wouldn't, but working with every possibility beforehand is the best way to prevent flaws.

In my mind it would, in practice, hold more players in a short term than the game already does now. Eventually the player will need new runes, so he'll choose between grinding a LOT(yea some people are like that, not me though) or buying them and actually enjoying the game with his favorite runes.

The more quickly you can reap benefits from a game the higher the chance of staying in it, at least that's how it works for me. It doesn't matter if the benefit's are insanely great or just a few runes that you can't trade, but they need to make a solid difference on the amount of "fun" you have with the game.

The best thing in your idea Hero, is the possibility of changing the runes - although I do fear it might affect rune sales negatively somehow - as it's simply the main issue players have with runes. People want to experiment things, use runes they find cool all the time, because that's the beauty of Pox, you have a lot to choose from.

So to resume, I'd also like the opinion of someone experienced in the gaming industry to see if this is truly worth it as it seems to be, in my layman's view.

@Sokolov

Xzablaz likes this.
  6. soulmilk

Only thing I buy with money is the newest set or special sales.
    I don't believe this would affect any sale from almost all players.
    Though I might be wrong, I don't have the data on how often older products are bought with owl credits.

7. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

alt accounts, ruin every thing.

8. soulmilk

Lushiris likes this.
  9. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

To much work for the dogs to get it in, so it wont happen.

Have a good one,

Enjoy creating more Waste of Time threads cus Dog aint doing Bane Shift

10. Pattn199

Dont get me wrong its a good idea, but Yeah no time to care for such things.
    there to busy "balancing"/"bugfixing"

11. Phynixe

Phynixe I need me some PIE!

Took my idea you scrub? At least give me credit.

12. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

Wat.
    I read this thread then the idea came to me, then I posted it. Hence the title, and the first line

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/new-player-gift.22615/

Doesn't seem that hard. Copy paste rune forge, change the credits, credit each person's account and all new accounts created.

13. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Also CopyPaste the whole Runestock and add asterisks everywhere because that seems to be the only way how they can make tradable and untradable* versions of the same rune next to each other.

Technical difficulties aside I really think that a system like that would drive me away from the game rather than getting me into it. Imagining me as a newcomer to the game I'd probably play a handful of games with the prebuild BGs before finding out that I had credits for free stuff. And the I'd spend the next several hours not playing the game but trying to figure out the best way to spend those credits. Since there is a rather big selection to choose from I'd probably have a really hard time deciding what to use my credits for. That process would be incredibly frustrating. Probably frustrating enough to not actually get into the game.

I guess my mind works in its own ways and that issue wouldn't apply to many people. What could happen more frequently is people mindlessly spending their free credits. Later they realize that they spent it on untradable junk and the only way to get better/more runes is to ether grind a lot or fork out the cash. So they'd either quit at that point or complain about Bait'n'Switch tactics because "Oh noes the first few runes were easy to get but then suddenly they want money to spend on food or whatever?!".

IMO-Footnote: In all honestly, every suggestion involving anything untradable is horrible and shouldn't be realized in the games current state.

Pattn199 likes this.
  14. soulmilk

The suggestion is that you can shard the runes back into the exact amount of credits you used to make them.
    So if you didn't like the runes you made, you can shard them to get something else.

Asterisk runes have never been needed.
    Untradable runes existed long before asterisk runes existed. (And they still exist)

15. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

excellent idea heroex7777. a big reason for turning people off this game is having to constantly trade for a different deck and at a loss. the ability to change on patches and try out a new deck that you could later invest in is great.

16. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

Actually, I thought it'd be good if you could change every 2 or 3 days. That's about how long I play a bg until I want to change it. Perhaps the runepool to forge from could be 1 expansion behind the forge which is behind the current expansion. That way the forge still has a purpose when a new expansion drops.

The idea is that new players have access to 1 bg of their choosing with a small pool of interchangable runes. Or if they pick runes of the same faction they could have 2 sets of champions with 1 set of spells/eqs/relics.

Another possibility to add to this is that people can buy with real money, more forge credits to raise their cap of how many of each rarity they can hold. Up to a limit of course, to help retain value in the current tradable permanent runes. I think that a monthly subscription of maybe $5 or $10 a month would double their access to the pool to 2 Legendaries, 6 Exotics, 14 Rares, 30 UC and 50 C.

Minus the latest suggestion, I believe that this system is beneficial to everyone with great rewards for DoG.

For old players
    Access to different runes every couple days to test out bgs in a less permanent way than to use poxbox and get taxed.
    More new players to play against.
    The challenge of creating the best battle group possible with the given rarity limits.
    Possibly another bracket of ranked?
    Ability to post battle groups on the forums for new players to try.

For new players
    Access to almost every rune in the game.
    Incentive for purchasing new runes in that they aren't locked down to the same 51 runes.
    Guides to a playable, winnable battle group.
    The game is currently "free" but not really. It's current status is more like a "free trial". With this system it would actually become free, with incentive to buy.

For DoG-
    Does not impact sale from expansions
    Greater population=Greater sales
    More people=More money
    Money=Good
    Good=A raise for @Sokolov
    A raise for Sokolov=Does not happen without this system
    Does not happen without this system=Make it happen Sokolov.

If this is the start of something that actually pans out, I request the forum title-Bringer of Light.

17. Pattn199

Why do you think None of the devs have said anything in this thread yet?

Its simple because even tho its a great idea its to much work for them.

18. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

You just have to call them out
    @Senshu @Gedden @Wraith

19. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

It is an interesting idea, but very complicated and would be very susceptible to breaking, and exploiting if not all possible user interactions are accounted for when implementing. We are playing with several ideas for stuff we can do for new players to give them access to runes. Right now we don't want to say too much because nothing is set in stone, but we are fully aware of the notion of increasing accessibility to runes early on.

The one thing we want to avoid is putting in a bunch of different new systems that new players have to interact with to help them out. It just adds another layer where they can get lost and confused. The OP's premise is interesting it is basically a lemon law for runes.

Lushiris and soulmilk like this.
  20. soulmilk

Excited to see what DOG comes up with. <3