Non-Client Non-Balance Stuff

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Aug 16, 2017.

1. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

kf/st with kthun and furball mother

2. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

When you could do that there was a lot less draw wins for you could cheaply contest a font. You had to spend some NORA to keep a font and gain advantage. I feel it is to easy to secure fonts now and defend them with little NORA use. I think yobanchi may have found the turning point in which POX started creating a lot of balance issues. If you look back at all the spot nerfing it kind of starts at that point. You had to reduce SPDs and change maps to prevent draw wins which nerfed all of KF in a way. Then KF was a bad faction and so other factions got nerfed to balance the fact KF lost spd and things started to snow ball from there. Lonx in ST really depended on spd 7 with the ST +1 spd in snow to compete against range units. UD experienced some of this as well and then we nerf range all together.

I think Yobanchi may have discovered where a lot of things started going wrong looking at it with the awesome view of hindsight! We had a lot of players back then.

3. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Liches - Spellsurge:X for a number of liches along with some spelleater/adaptive upgrade options to give the theme some spell/leader of bg flavor. I can go through with some suggestions no problem upon request.

4. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

Siblings (Tribal hut) needs a buff. So, @Sokolov nerfed the ability "Sibling" a while back by leaving out the clause "Once one sibling is deployed reveal the other cyclops with the same name" because Red tipped raptor, and a few other champs were a bit to efficient. This was a good way to fix those singular overpowerd champs, by slowing down the time it took for both siblings to be on the field. But it was a bit to hefty of a nerf to a whole Module that HINGES on the ability.

I have a few suggestions, to raise Sibling theme back up to snuff.

My first suggestion would be to give the tribal hut the same ability that "Transmission relay" has:
    When this relic is deployed and at the end of each turn. a (Cyclops sibling unit) is revealed in your runedock. If no (Cyclops sibling units) are concealed, a random (Cyclops sibling unit) on CD has its CD reduced by 4. When a friendly (Cyclops sibling unit) is deployed from your rundock, this relic loses 3 HP.

Pros: Once one of your siblings dies, you can get it back quickly so that the buff is up again. You would also find your sibling units much faster because their are only 8.
    Cons: Its a big mittle finger to the FW bonus... the whole theme would also kinda hinge on the relic.

Suggestion two:
    The first part stays the same as "Transmission relay" so you still get the reveals, but now instead of the cooldown reduction, we can do one of two things.

Once the one sibling unit dies, the other keeps the stats.

Once one sibling unit dies, the other one looses the stat boosts but instead gains: Vengfull, and Fast friends. (so kind of the champ becomes depressed to the death of his brother, but finds solace in his friends)

What do you think?

5. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

UD Lava Front

6. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Auto-transfigure @ turn X, would be interesting, force the meta in to a different field slightly.

Interactive terrain ( future idea I understand this would need serious work): As in you could stand behind a wall to avoid range or something ( maybe the walls have HP and collapse after being shot?)
    Things exploding is always fun. Also maybe a step somewhere on most maps with big chasms, sort of so non-flyers can compete but at a significant AP cost to just each step. ( Also a "Climb" option would be interesting)

(This can be a game mode at least if not the main game) -> This is going to sound insane, but, delete the concept of draws. Sort of change the luck dynamic to a sort of chess openings theory, where players will have to start devising opening theories and the game slowly evolves as people start countering whatever crazy initial ideas come out. So basically when you build the BG you pick what are the first X runes you want to draw. ( Possibly even the exact draw order of all 30 runes, that sounds pretty fun on a BG building/game play level.)

2V2 could be 4 separate shrines (bigger maps possibly?), there are teams, but everything else functions like a 1v1 (Nora bank etc), Spread out in like a X shape, so it becomes very game theoryish style where now both teams have a choice of focusing down player 1 or 2, going together or splitting up.... and how the other team can possibly react to which ever way they choose to play.

Tweek516 and xaznsoulx like this.
  7. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

At several points in time, stuff like the KF egg spell or overloaded summoners such as Kthun simply made it a nightmare to keep fonts and that's why they removed contesting capabilities from summons. I don't think they should be ever allowed to do so again because contemporary summons are balanced around the notion that they can't. I mean, if you sat down and revised every single summoned unit source in the game, you could probably get rid of the summoned condition but it's going to make everyone's life miserable if it's not done right and you risk breaking the game with new summoned units every time you make new stuff as well.

mortal ix, super71 and Etherielin like this.
  8. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Just give any unit summoned by a spell Font Ignorance instead of the Summoned tag. Or in some special cases you could start handing out other abilities like Mercenary for variety.

9. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

But then you still have nora globes to worry about.

10. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Globe of Deception, checkmate

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

mortal ix likes this.
  12. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Just because it's non-balance stuff doesn't mean you can go ahead and propose something that breaks the game disregarding all concepts of balance and thought put into a mechanic which is precisely the result of years of trial and error.

super71 likes this.
  13. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Leaving aside whether or not the proposition of an idea is admissible, see my comments on the last page:
    I also don't subscribe to the idea that design is either deterministic or convergent, just to head that off at the pass.

15. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Aight but it's a dumb idea.

16. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

These sound super cool.

17. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Yup, all those suggestions are pretty cool. Auto transfigure sounds pretty bad though.

Side note: It ruins Worms, so actually I'm all for auto transfiguring, even if I hate the thought of it in every other single matchup

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Technically, worms can grow an SDZ around an Avatar as well, it's just that you lose all your growth before then -- that's the problem.

Anyway, however cool Agi's ideas may be, they would probably all require serious code time. Auto-trans and no-reveals might be relatively less, but still something.

19. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

Okay so on constructive stuff. Can stitched mage arm finally be buffed? Also can font defender be brought back?

20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I'd recommend against changing faction bonuses for 3 reasons:

1. The factions are heavily balanced around them
    2. People pretend they want new ones but actually don't. They just want easier wins and have seen fac bonus changes as a way to get that.
    3. You're fairly horrible at balance and I think it would most likely end up like your attempts to redo the barbarian racial. A large amount of changes because you can't get it right and the end result is some mash potato nonsense.