now i want to quit this game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by polltroy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Poxineer

Poxineer The King of Potatoes

ya therez no stoping a good portal kf bg or a ZtL charge bg

2. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

then they could change it so you choose font youself? maybe with some disadvantage added, like lost ap or distracted or similar

3. polltroy

so what you guys say is you removed portal nexus not because it was too powerful, but because it was too weak and bad that the controller of the wizard could not control what font they end up in? so its like a buff to remove this "bad" ability?

4. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

The ability to globally contest a font is an entirely separate issue in terms of balance, the historical fix for that is making units summoned if they have this ability.

5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

No ... it is a random ability. It either wins you the game or loses you the game, and the only thing that decides what is a RNG. Yeah, no, thats bad design.

6. Xinde

Xinde Devotee of the Blood Owl

No, it was bad because worst case it didn't really do anything (or makes you lose the game), best case it won you the game.

7. polltroy

all this is just some BS excuses because some high rank players like those 2h long meta games - but i dont think newbies think like that, who wants to spend 2 h and most likely end up losing anyway? what made me like this game from beginning was that you can play quick games or long games, games where both players defend, or games where one is rushing, games where the rush is against shrine or games where the rush is against fonts - games where one player use long range, games where another use close combat etc - ie most games were not the same all the time - now it seems they all become more and more the same - the game has become dampen with too many abilities allowing only one strategy - defend and wait for opponent to make misstake

and the problem is again - the nerfs and buffs are made listening to the high ranking players, but this game can only survive on new players, not on those hard core players who already have two of almost every rune. if you read some of the posts or talk to some of the high rankers, they can tell you they were part of decision to take away portal nexus - one of those few abilities left that could make it possible for a newbie to at least for some turns feel he is leading on the map against a high rank meta player with all those legendary 7+ ability runes

8. KTCAOP

There is a lot of history here… the same thing could be said of many games, including League of Legends, Warcraft, Poker, Counter Strike, etc.

However, very, very, very few of us would ever like to spend two hours on a game, the average game time most of us expect I believe is 30 +/- 15 minutes I think. However, there was a time when the games went significantly longer when attrition decks were the norm. It is because of these types of attrition decks that high single target removal spells/abilities and globals were put into place, to prevent such long drawn out games.

Finally… most strategy games at their core usually rely on capitalizing on your opponents mistakes than not.

9. polltroy

this was the time that i abandoned the game totally...

I do strongly belive that the game would have more players if it again was possible to

A) play 5-25 min games, where 30-45 min games were the rare long ones
    B) make more variation on the games
    C) give factions more clear themes, so that not every faction has a teleport guy, a long range guy, a guy with initiative etc
    D) reduce number of abilities alot so that its easier to predict outcome of next few turns, even if you have not already player or observed 5 or 10 games against the same opponent or against the same bg
    E) make it possible to win with many different BG strategies, not just the last 5-10 possible strategies that are this expansions/this nerf-buff times winning combination

10. polltroy

- if you are sucessfull with the above, with a good rank system, it should mean the top players will change each day or week and you dont see the same person on the top again and again and again like now (and we all know who will hate me most for this)

11. Monyx

Monyx I need me some PIE!

polltroy is obviously just trying to up his forum post count. why else would he be so blatantly blind?

its VERY SIMPLE....the ability is unbalanced. if you cant understand that you are only showsing your lack of understanding in strategy games. its too overwhelmingly strong when it works correctly......thats why it is bad.....there is nothing u can say that will refute that. ever. most ppl in the game understand this. you do not.

12. KTCAOP

Given that the turns are 1:45 by default, if you are looking for regular, normal sub 15 minute games, then I would have to say that PoxNora, and most other multiplayer online strategy games, are may not be the genre for you. Which is fine, there may be another genre out there that might fit you better with a more action packed and shorter time of engagement.

As a broad comment towards the rest of your points, at the end of the day, there will always be the 5-10 that will be able to win against anything in the higher levels of play and higher brackets. It would be in the low level of play where playing whatever style you want may gain you a win sometimes, again, see almost any other game examples such as League of Legends, Starcraft, etc.

Most of us in general I believe would not mind a whole bunch of variety and would be happy to reduce and/or remove the numb of abilities per champion and have a little bit more of a play/counter play style. At the same time, I believe people have historically been frustrated with one deck hard countering other decks, I don't believe that is fun either. If that were the case, there wouldn't need to play the game at all, it just depends on what deck you and I happen to have that will determine if one person will win or not.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  13. Lanfear

Lanfear Well-Known Member

Holy geeze. Another amazing thread. Forums must have been dead on SoE when i started browsing them cause i've had the pleasure of reading like 6 in the last 2 days alone. Buncha cry baby threads, HILARIOUS!

Ambling frond is no longer a god, he's just a demi-god now. I was so hopeful but i think i'm done playing now guys.

14. crisian

crisian Member

polltroy, are you by chance druidroot? that's the only person i ever seen spamming that lame ass wizard and nexus..he also does it consistently in the 1200+ range of the uncommon league ranks..just sayin'

15. polltroy

now i found another ability... air drop... to me seems quite similar like the portal nexus if not more powerfull. so in conclusion this is ok when its another faction?

16. Arzachi

Arzachi New Member

We play when we like, we stop when we don't like or we prefer another game...so bye.

I wonder if there's any need to drag this long when you're quitting ?
    If you want to point out a view of how to balance the game or whatsoever isn't it good to point it out without saying "quit" in the first place ?
    I've been in pox forum lately since I stopped playing other games n I think the DoG's response is good enough n as I saw once, "they needs time to digest" while having their plate full at the moment.

That's just my 2 cents, I hope you find a good game to play...remember though, we're player not developer, we may sound our wish but in the end, it's just take it or leave it, not to mention that there might be technical difficulties around as well.

17. Xinde

Xinde Devotee of the Blood Owl

Again, it's a matter of removing random elements from the game, rather than balance. Air Drop may or may not be imbalanced (theoretically it is imbalanced).

18. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

hes got teleport and relocate foe and 5-7 range sunder....

nuff said

19. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

I will never understand the people who play this game only to center their decks around one ability. And it's always an ability that just so happens to result in cheap wins, like this or Fire Volatility.

Pox's strength lies in its huge rune pool. There are thousands of runes with millions of potential interactions - use it to your advantage. Gah.

Knutto, Atherhog and JazzMan1221 like this.
  20. Lanfear

Lanfear Well-Known Member

Yep thats the same thing. Good call.