On Politicians

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Jul 5, 2015.

1. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov

His name recognition is VERY high. But his favorability rating is low because he appears to oppose the status quo, IMHO of course. Time will tell.

This pic sums up my impression of the current status quo:

[​IMG]

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Are the good guys anywhere in that picture, or should people just fear everything?

Molosse likes this.
  3. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Pretty sure that's what the Gadsden Flags are pointing to, though of course this depends on the intention of the artist and how one interprets the picture. Neither the "99%" or the tea kettle are part of the Hydra within the imagery.

Of course, whether or not you consider any of those to be "good guys" will depend on your view of them outside of the image.

DarkJello likes this.
  4. DarkJello

@kalasle

A pic says a thousand words. One can clearly see the hydra menacing the "french toast" out of a tent and a kettle.

Also, I have explained my view of the status quo in the last few pages. Comprehension is the goal.

People should fear thousands of things. Fear is good, as long as it does not cause dysfunction. Savvy?

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Unfortunately, a thousand words don't cover everything in communication (and isn't actually that many words). Was a bit unclear on the iconography, not used to seeing a tent.

I ain't reading the last few pages of this thread, or the next few. It got moved for a dang reason.

Ohmin likes this.
  6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

*shrug*

Discussion has been rather civil and interesting so far, so your loss. And of course it got moved for a reason, that reason being that it does not have anything to do with PoxNora.

Anyway, cheers, see you in the other threads.

DarkJello likes this.
  7. DarkJello

Sadly, when discussing the matrix, most folks melt away... It is too much for them to process. Or they have more faith in something sweet and nice.

Talk of the truth is scary. Easier just to say "nutter", than to face the reality. We have been born into slavery. It is a groovy prison. Silver lining.

@Ohmin

What are your thoughts on the 99%?? I don't feel the the willfully ignorant should count. Thus a lower % on that flag would be more honest/correct.

8. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

It's not for me to judge.

It's not just that. Hearing "the matrix" it becomes a buzzword, a slogan. The media puts out the narrative that people that use such buzzwords or slogans are racist, sexist, extremists, or what have you, that believe in "right wing" ideology (or "left wing" pending who's in power at the time). People can guess at what is meant, but the lack of express and specific descriptions beyond that can push people away due to both the combination of the ease of denial and the pre-programmed bias that states that those who question authority are insane.

Literally.

The American Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders states:
    as description of "ODD" (Oppositional Defiance Disorder). Which has been "officially" recognized as a mental illness.

As I mentioned and asked for comment from the Brits and Euros on the forum earlier, Cameron stated:
    Which is a declaration of war on ideologies (both good and bad) that the Government does not endorse at the time. It is to say:
    (Weird, it won't let me delete the extra {quote}{/quote} tags next to the first "O'Brien", it keeps automatically reinserting them, don't know how to fix that.)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  9. DarkJello

@Ohmin
    1) I am not asking for you to pass judgement and then carry out the penalty. Just 2 dudes sharing opinions on the internet. Instead of "99%" I would put it at 40%.

2) The matrix is the lie that governments are here to help, that they are helping, and that things will be great if only they have more power and wealth.

By their fruits ye shall know them. So I look at the outcomes of many decades and/or centuries of policy, to see what actually moves humanity forward.

3) Rebelling against tyranny is not ODD. Nice example though. It highlights the power of words, propaganda, and such.

4) I am unclear about the meaning/goal of your "smith/O'Brien" discussion. Please enlighten.

10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I wasn't thinking that you were asking me to judge and sentence or anything, I merely mean that I could not judge whether or not the willfully ignorant "matter" or not. Heck, it can be hard to tell whether or not people are willfully ignorant, or simply ignorant.

It's a quote from the book 1984 by George Orwell (also made into a movie IIRC). For those not familiar, the book describes a totalitarian government, run by "Big Brother" (who may or may not exist as an individual). It uses propaganda to control the people. O'Brien is someone torturing and trying to break Smith, who believes in facts and common sense rather than lovingly agreeing with whatever Big Brother claims. Whether that means 2 + 2 = 5, or if it means that "We have always been at war with East Asia" or "We have never been at war with East Asia" and so on.

Amusingly, though I know the plot and substance of the book, I've never actually read it in full nor watched the film. Still, it makes for good reference material. Or it did in the past.

The purpose of quoting it is to compare Cameron's statement to the fictional O'Brien's.

DarkJello likes this.