Paladin Change Suggestions

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Markoth, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

In Pox Lore there are two groups of Angels. Ones that serve Al'Mara and ones that serve Il'Tara. The ones that serve Al'Mara typically embody Life, Valor and Purity. The ones that serve Il'Tara embody Death, Violence and Rage. Similar to typical Angel and Demon associations but a little less black and white. Bastion separates himself from both sects but more closely aligns with the values of Il'Tara's angels. I highly doubt anyone in Il'Tara's service would be represented on a Protectorate faction which leads me to view him as one of her angels that struck out on his own and saw the violent people of Sarnghaver as somewhere he could fit in. His flavor text implies that he is loyal to no one and Loyalty is one of the guiding tenants of a Paladin.

2. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

I have a deck with two spell wards, two failed amplifiers, and rush runes to counter I pox style decks.

Spell ward isn't to horrible now. It costs to much now to see play. A drop in its cost might make it see play, it is an interesting spell as it is now. It's a shame it's in IS as our bonus mitigates the need for it.

40 nora is just to high to give champs shielded for a limit of 8 turns especially if it includes the enemy champs.

I just don't see the need to limit bg space for Bastion.

I'd play the bb bros. The problem with full theme pallys is their range options got crunched to pieces. Maybe a few more champs with throw x abilities could help in that department.

Annex leaving minister is good too.

3. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

Just a quick comment on the angels and paladins thing, every single angel outside of IS is not a paladin. If they are combat they get warrior if they heal/support they get priest or warrior priest. The AVENGING angel is not a paladin why must bastion the AVENGER be one ( bolding for emphasis ) ? The lore and flavor don't say anything about angels needing to be paladins, heck if you go by the numbers ( 4 paladin 12 non ) it could be argued that angels generally shouldn't be paladins. The presence of paladin bgs has molded IS for many years and I think it is the bigger reason people might be arguing for champs to hold on to paladin.

Personally I wouldn't mind if less IS angels had paladin so maybe one day they will come up with a few more angels and bit of angel synergy ( rip angel of mercy improve range ) and I'll get a chance to see angel bgs instead of paladins. Or I guess turning a bunch of the other angels into paladins so I can cram them together with at least that much synergy could work.

4. Dresnar20365988

How about when this future release of angel themed runes get released you can change Bastion. Until then why change it?

Why are you and Markoth so insistent on changing bastion? Is it merely a sense of aesthetics? Is there any reason to change the classification due to game play?

Right now, if you don't want to play Bastion in a paladin bg you don't have to. If you want to play Bastion in a paladin bg you can do that as well.

Surely you are capable of understanding that there are plenty of players that enjoy playing Bastion in a pally bg. Why should your opinion trump theirs?

Please explain why you feeling, with no argument for efficiency or OP in a theme, a rune should be changed is a legitimate reason for that change.

5. nakaruru

nakaruru Devotee of the Blood Owl

I was pointing out that in pox nora every single angel aside from a couple in IS are not paladins. I don't have strong feelings on bastion directly, I never play bastion. I play ( or played since the angel of mercy was changed ) a KF/IS split to maximize the angels in the bg. I saw people talking about how bastion and a couple of the other angels had to be paladins because they were holy warriors and such and wanted to point out that that doesn't mean they have to be paladins. You seemed upset that bastion could lose paladin but you have no problem with the avenging angel not being a paladin even though they are more or less the same type of angel ( lore wise not game play ).

So again is this because of the power of being class paladin in IS or because it is from a flavor or lore perspective. If it is the first then I don't have a strong argument against it other than to say it keeps bastion stuck between both pallies and barbs. If it is the later then yes I have a problem with him being a paladin. he is not a paladin he is an angel. He is not some religious knight trusting his faith, he is a divine being descended from on high. He is there protecting the barbarians of the sarnghaver not the church or the religious which seems to be centered in the stronghold. I see paladins as religious warriors believing and having faith, while an angel is an instrument of god, or in pox I guess it is an instrument of a god as there are multiple gods.

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

@Anotherblackman and I spent some time talking about Northern Cross Fanatic and have added her to the OP

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Added Angel of Mercy sorta. Just re-added Improve Range to U1. Really like the synergy with Blessing of Al'Mara

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Those changes are meh, tbh, outside of NCF which would now be meta.

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Paladins really aren't that bad. They just lack depth in viability. I just want to nudge them a bit and go from there.

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Straight forward basic attack theme

11. Dresnar20365988

Yes I have no problem with other angels not being paladins. I have a problem with the runes I purchased to play with being changed for no other reason than another's persons opinion on aesthetics. Bastion has always been Barb/Paladin, that's what he should stay. If you personally want to restrict how you use Bastion to conform with your sense of aesthetics you are free to do so. If it bothers you to watch me play bastion as a paladin simply don't watch.

Give me a reason to change the rune for the purpose of balance and that I can get behind.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

This whole thread is watered down appeasement changes that will not, in any way, change the playability of paladins. I do not mean to be negative but it's the truth. It just makes them slightly different but the paladin decks position of validity remains constant.