Passive vs Active? Ability Complexity Creep

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProR2D2, Jun 27, 2014.

1. ProR2D2

ProR2D2 I need me some PIE!

Hi.
    I think Active and passive abilities should be approached differently when removing/adding them on the revamp.

Active abilities provide players with more options and are fun to use. They are also easy to see and predictable.
    Since you can only use 1 or 2 active abilities at a time because they require AP, you don't need to worry about the other abilities if he uses an ability because he won't have enough AP to use them on the same turn. They can be overpowered, but they can be balanced by modifying their AP costs and Cooldown.

Passive abilities on the other hand are active all the time they are in play, forcing you to memorize all these passive abilities which was very hard and unfun. This was the main issue with ability complexity creep. Some others activate depending on the situation, and even though they are hard to predict, these are a lot better if the player can move around them.

This is why ferrens/Minotaurs required "no skill" and were very frustating to play against, because their strength was in their numerous passive abilities instead of active (they were also op). While Goblins for example, were fun to play with and against due to their active abilities and few passive.

For example, pre-revamp Draksar Marine had too many abilities, so changing his weak mutations to simply amphibious was a great change. But his main abilities that made him a fun rune (stunning sweep and pin down) were also removed, so right now he is just cheap "meat" with useless upgrades.

I liked the revamp so far, but please consider this.

2. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Pretty sure one of Minotaurs' greatest strengths was in Dimension Shift, an active ability. That's why everyone hated them.

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

All their passive range hate was stupid as hell just aswell.

4. ProR2D2

I'm pretty sure Dimension shift costed 1 or 0 AP and had low CD, which makes it more a triggering passive ability rather than an active.
    What I'm saying is that Active abilities provide more interesting gameplay and less Ability complexity creep than passive abilities.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  5. ProR2D2

Here's an example:
    Doge Murkwurm.jpg

In all seriousness, It's like Murkwurm had to loose Judgement and all his stats, just to keep the "Invoke: X" ability which is an unfun ability that makes no sense on him. Not to mention Gedden already said he disliked "Invoke: X" abilities in the past because it decreases the viability of the spell.
    Judgement was a signature ability on him and made sense as a Mage wurm. But the most important thing, is that he was the only champion who could use Judgement effectively due to his size, attack range matching Judgement range, and DoTs already present on him.

However i feel we are in the beta phase, so if judgement will change back to him I would really appreaciate it. He really needs it back.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

So then what are Dodge and Block to you? Are they passives as well? What about Consume? It's only 1 AP. Channel: X abilities are also 0 AP and 0 CD. You see where I'm going with this I hope.

7. ProR2D2

The active element of block and dodge is that you can select a specific champion, but basically they are passive abilities.
    Channel: X abilities cost nora. Consume costs 1 champ. You see where I'm going with this I hope.

8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Jazz, lol, stop using logic bro.