Polluted Martyr?

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by jesterman7, Mar 30, 2014.

1. jesterman7

jesterman7 The King of Potatoes

I haven't used it yet, but it doesn't seem super great. So who has used it? What are your experiences? Seems like it could be useful for a disease bg and eventhough it has short lived you get the nora back which is obv good, throw in some nora gen to get that globe back and it prob evens out. However it is alot to begin with.

2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

The mechanics are nice, but his long cooldown makes his usage prohibitive.

3. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

High up-front cost with absolutely massive recuperation after it dies. Soulsift 2 grants you 36 nora just for it dying, meaning even if you don't get the globe, it only costs 54 nora. If you do, Short-Lived globes are worth double, making its globe total 27 nora without Boon bonus. Assuming you grab the globe with a Boon unit, he only costs about 22 nora, and if you grab it with a Bird, that goes down to about 16. Think about that for a second: 16 nora for a 60 HP meat-propagating tank with Init 2, Flamethrower, and a strong Death Nova. Martyr is the cornerstone of any good Death Benefit deck, and running 2 means the longish CD is not that long at all. I'm honestly surprised that people run Coragh over this guy; sure, Coragh may last longer and come with more meat, but Martyr's efficiency is unparalleled even in FW.

4. GabrielQ

This analysis is correct, but as long as deck spaces are limited you cannot waste them in a expendable unit that you know it won't be coming back to help after his use.

5. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

You should note that while it is 90 - 36 - 27 if you get the globe, it's more like 90 - 36 + 27 if you don't get it.

6. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

I usually has 1 of them in a Death Benefit BG, but more often than not i prefere to deploy somethign else.
    It´s high up front cost means that it is often hard to justify deploying, and basic attack Disease is a major drawback.

7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Oh boy, here we go again...

8. BansheeX

If you have anything constructive to share please do so :)

A oneliner like that doesnt really achive anything constructive.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  9. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

He is great, but damage type hurts a lot (could easily get poison + dot 1 at least, or like -3 dmg and physical), and it's weird that he is neither mutant nor zombie.
    I really like him in clops though - warwizard increases his mobility by far, and his death is almost granted opportunity to deploy zeven.

10. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Is it worth actually using a Gravewatcher on this guy?

Second dragon, two soulsifts. Cost for Martyr + Gravewatcher with both sifts is 62 nora, without ever picking up a globe. So 31 nora for 2 Martyrs.

4 nora if you get the globe. You actually gain 1 nora if a boon champion gets it.

11. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

He's referring to the original thread about this champ where I basically predicted everything that is now common knowledge. And did it in proper zealot style, not this general forum appeasement mode which seems to be all the rage. So you cant really blame him for not wanting to get specific.

12. BansheeX

I can. Considering that the original thread is no longer readable, I don´t recall it and new (and old players alike) cant access it anymore.
    And the thing you call appeasement mode is probably what the rest of us call civil instead of aggravating.

13. BansheeX

With perfect draws it might be good, but its hardly something you can pull off on a regular basis.

14. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

To everything there is a season.

15. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

Martyr, shockingly, is a finesse rune, compared to Coragh's 'Blargh! charge!'

That super cheap flamethrower is only worth the effort if you can snag three or more units (Debatably at least two, but I'm not investing in that kind of effort without three, personally). Death Nova is somewhat easy for your opponent to work around (Although a death nova on a 2x2 makes it much harder, for sure).

Damage type is garbage, but it's actually not that often, in my experience, that you even care about attacking. You cram that meat into a gap in the opponent's frontline, and capitalize on the chaos that ensues.

Carrionlings are easy to forget and not use to their full extent. If you net a kill, you get a real champ. Worth real nora. and can contest.

And then there's 'Do I really need to take Initiative?' Which of course the answer is typically 'yes.' Except in the cases where you're rocking relocation effects. How much extra impact might you produce fascinating an opposing champ into the cloud? Knocking one back into it? How about knocking a unit through the cloud, and using the Martyr as a backstop for some extra damage. If memory serves, I want to say a target backstopped in a cloud takes damage from the cloud for each space it tried to move.

It's a thinking rune, and it's very easy to fudge things up even with the extremely forgiving nora refunds after. Coragh....two heads and manages to be pretty basic in usage. For the majority, I will almost always assume Efficiency(Coragh) > Finesse(Martyr)

16. GabrielQ

Right now, there is 0 reward for not running the top meta decks.
    Maybe this will change, maybe not, I can only hope.

17. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

The Gravewatcher no longer works with him as his exhume ability was tied to the Reanimate spell which was nerved to not work on bloodless champions to prevent this very interaction.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  18. Fikule

Fikule I need me some PIE!

Ouch. So close to being able to use a gravewatcher for something too :(

19. BansheeX

Its still a good use on General and Coragh for excample.

20. Mercer Skye

Mercer Skye I need me some PIE!

In my most humble opinion, Gravewatcher is a pretty sound investment on just about anything that's more expensive than he is. Though, admittedly, you get much much better return the more expensive/impactful the unit is the higher above ol' G. Dub's cost you get.