Predictions from revamp

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Anotherblackman, May 20, 2014.

1. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

You do know that this whole " algorithmic standardization" thing isn't new right? That nearly every single developer of the game has used some cost calculator in their time right? I don't think you get what everyone else was saying. The price of the ability very well could be the same across the board. Invig 2 might cost 8 nora for everyone or whatever it costs. However, depending on what champ/faction or even race has it and the available internal/external synergy the value of the ability changes drastically. So depending on the build of the champ ( those 5 abilities you talk about) and its stats or the faction/theme its in, the price of the overall champ could easily be higher or lower then what a math run down says it should be.

2. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

the thing about it though tarth is that nearly every single developer has done this is their own style of Poxnora.

Think about it... Octopi created the game, then Soe took over and Corpse and Hawkfain basically kinda propelled their careers off of the complete revamp that made it to where they controlled the cost of a champion personally poxnora and left it to Aphla and also Sokolov and eventually many people just didn't have strong lead developers to really make the game shine after the powercreep and money making generator that was the poxnora expansion after expansion in which your rune were powercreeped out right after another thing was powercreeped again with therelease of another expansion and limited hard got get runes were resold time after time making the "rare" feeling of poxnora truely disappear. Because of the revamp of alot of older things but the things like Harbringers were resold and made alot of people mad( I for one think its good for the market to have a set release for a certain rune or a certain way how to get it kinda like the enraged sentry is for IS.

With this revamp people will once again come to see what poxnora is lurking about after all these years and whats stopping people from trying to play poxnora on a more grander scale.

3. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

But the point is that every single one of them used a cost calculator of some type so the whole math thing has always been here. It only works as a baseline as their is always a variable outside the base add up of costs. Corpse, the worst one imo for balanced pricing, did have a base line calculator too.

What matters here is the overall design decision to lower powercreep by restricting and redeveloping limits for said champs, not that they have a transparent calculator which has been around from the beginning anyway. Regardless, their will be variation in price is all im saying and the "meta" will still exist as it cant not exist by its very nature.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  4. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Balancing is balancing. Doesn't matter if it's systematic or not, it's still based on human subjectivity.

Granted, if you get it right then it floes throughout the system and it's all right, but the other side of that coin states that if you get it wrong then you've got an incurable cancer throughout the entire product.

So there's both good and bad with this method.

Regardless, there's way too many variables for a team this size to keep up without a system so I agree with their chosen course of action. I do not, however, think that choice grants them any favor or pretense of progress.

Just like any "all-in" tactic, the only option you have is to wait until the cards come out and see how it goes down.

5. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

There is a fairly large difference with this balancing/revamp round over the previous revamps. The limiting of abilities is going to have a drastic effect. If you include an attack as an ability that leaves you 4 slots left to stick abilities on a champ for most of the champs. Some will have less, some will have more. Most will be five. If you look at the champs currently there are very few that only have 5 abilities. For example the very simple armorer has 7. Its a challenge to find a champ with only 5 abilities currently.

By limiting abilities to this degree the game will drastically change. Standardized balance will become much easier because there will be fewer variables between champs limiting the power gap between champs and abilities on champs. The magnus preview is a good example. Magnus currently has 8 abilities. He is losing 3 abilities. This means he will lose a lot of the "X" factor that is how abilities synergize within a champ, within a theme, within a faction and vs certain factions. Add in to this the additional change of different costs for different upgrade options and you get even closer to achieving numerical balancing working.

We'll have to wait and see but I suspect that this approach will result in a much more balanced game than we have previously had. There is just no way the power gap between champs can be as large as it is currently as there are simply less ways to make that gap so large.

6. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Prediction: Every champ will have base damage 1 and 20 hp. No abilities on any champs except for Bastion of Pariah and Bastion of Unequippable. All spells and relics will be changed to function identically to Black Ops.

And IS will still be OP.

7. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

The power of runes will be determined by it's rarity. Limited runes will be the best, following by Legendary, then Exotic, Rare, Uncommon and Commons will be the weakest runes, with only one ability. Uncommons will have 2 abilities, Rares will have 3, Exos 4, Legs 5 and Limiteds 6. They will sell special limiteds, including the Harbingers, then and will make tons of cash. Look for Legendary releases as well.

8. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Bull***t

DOG said there wouldn't be any other LEG relase. Rariry doesn't mean power, another thing they said.