Problems in the post office (Mafia sign ups)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Gaverion, Jul 30, 2014.

1. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

Ok, so. How does this anonymous message thing work?

2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i'd imagine you tell gav you're using your stamp, give him the message and the intended recipient, and let it roll from there

3. st3ck

So does using my stamp to send a message kill me?

4. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

1. Every player starts with at least 1 stamp (can have more)
    2. A player with no stamps must turn in their membership (they are dead) and can no longer post.
    3. Under normal circumstances a player who turns in their membership (dies) will have their role revealed.
    4. Every player has the ability to use one of their stamps during the night phase to send an anonymous message to another player. (note: if you try to confirm that you sent the message you will be removed from the game, pm me if concerned)

based on these rules, i'd imagine that if it was your last remaining stamp that you used, you would most likely die. if you had other stamps through some means, probably not. if there's some as yet undisclosed role that allows for immediate stamp replacement or some such (or just not dying upon use of a stamp) then you would not die

GENERALLY SPEAKING THOUGH, yeah you should die if you go from 1 to none

5. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

This stamp thing intrigues me count me in

6. st3ck

Cool, exactly what I was thinking.

7. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

Bump to try to get more signups!

8. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

sorry for being away, internet decided to die for a week :p

would really like to get to 12 players.

Dagda hit the nail on the head for how the sending of messages works, and as a reminder they are intended to be anonymous.

and just a few examples of what is not allowed:
    "In my first post next day phase I will start my post with (phrase)"
    Copying a unique phrase from your message in the thread (like using the phrase as the crow flies in both.)

9. st3ck

omg subliminal private distraction messages so we can all lynch each other.

I can't wait!

10. Gaverion

would really like to have 12 players but if people really want it to start I could go with as few as 8 so long as I can count on everyone being active and accounted for

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

two questions-

1) how many do we have
    2) are you allowed to say you sent a message to (x name) last night

12. Gaverion

1. 8
    2. no

13. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

what about saying you sent a message last night, but not allowing as to who

14. Gaverion

that is close enough to the fence that I am going to say no.

The general line I am using is sending a message that you think the player you sent the message to should vote for x, y, or z. Then vote for x and say you think y and z are suspect. (this would be ok)

15. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

but if you just reworded the message to say x y and z are all suspect in the thread, that's out?

16. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

From my experience 8 is too few, 9 you barely get by. :/

17. Gaverion

if anyone can recruit that would be appreciated!

that would be fine dagda (as long as it was reworded of course)

18. Gaverion

missed this post earlier. I have done this a few ways and each worked slightly differently and they have an effect on game balance.

Obviously in your example it cost you (mafia) though I suspect anyone who conveniently targets the players who are "confirmed" to not have targeting powers so it wasn't unlikely to have had the same thing happen. I will also point out that miller is actually commonly combined with power roles, mostly vigilantes but sometimes others like in this case.

As to having more than one power I think it is fine so long as you are careful. In general if you are pairing a power with something one of the two should be a drawback. Miller I consider a drawback. Some other possible drawbacks include restrictions on what you can post, a non counting vote, and I am sure many more that I am not thinking of.

Knowing the roles helps town, later in the game it makes it so any power role is close to a confirmed town. It makes it very hard to fake claim a power role since most of them will be in the game and you can be easily counterclaimed if you try to guess at one not in the game. It also lets town know everything that is possible, if town knows there is no godfather then they play a lot different than if they highly suspect there is one (or have no clue). Other roles play similarly.

Knowing none of the roles is neutral in my opinion. Mafia will likely have to take a leap of faith here or there but town has a lot harder time confirming things.

Another option is only having Mafia know all the roles. Obviously this favors mafia. This makes it very easy for mafia to safely fake a role. It lets mafia know what all the possibilities are but not town so a lot of potential risks.

You can also have only one faction's roles revealed. This is similar to what I did in lion king mafia. Everyone knew the town roles, lions knew town+lions, hyenas knew all. (aside: I would love to run one like that one again if we ever had enough people). This favors town but less so than all of the roles revealed.

19. Greysands22

Greysands22 I need me some PIE!

My old comp died and I just bought a new one two days ago. I'm back! (Having just a phone for internets is depressing.)

Sign me up.

PurpleTop likes this.
  20. Gaverion

very nice to have you, brings us back up to 8, would really like a few more if we can get them. If there is anyone you can think of inviting I encourage it!