Punishing Aura

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IronStylus, Aug 31, 2016.

1. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

-This is a 'nerf please thread'.
    -No, I didn't lose to punishing aura BG.
    -I'm not playing NKD.

I think punishing aura that is stacking currently is one of the strongest mechanics in the game and it should be nerfed before people realize how strong it is and start playing it.
    - The damage bypasses def, SP resistance, weaken spells, IS resistance, immunities, impervious and everything in the game.
    - Mangled totem effect stacks and is instant.
    - Aura is AoE5
    - Using Stun/Paralyze helps stacking AP on opponents.
    - Using invigorate on opponents deals 4/8 damage per one punishing aura nearby.
    - There is more access to the ability than it used to be.

The counterplay of course exists, but it forces you to spend more resources on countering than it is to spend nora on punishing aura. I could provide a more specific analysis if anybody wants to.

Punishing aura is a fun mechanic, that forces your opponent to make decisions about something that is normally on his side (AP on his champions).

Proposed changes:
    -It should not stack.

mw24, OriginalG1, Pattn199 and 4 others like this.
  2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Bypasses;
    Defense, OK (Most abilities can, and do.)
    SP Resistance, OK (Not a spell)
    Weaken Spells, OK (Not a spell)
    IS Resistance, OK (Not a spell)
    Immunities, OK (Not classified as a damage type, Nothing is resistant to it.)
    Impervious, OK (Again, not classified as a damage type, also, the targets don't take damage. They simply lose the hp.)
    This is what makes it potent. The range, and (close to) zero counterplay when it is able to be granted on the spot. The ability is far easier to fight when you see it coming from a deployed champion.
    Both of these require an additional investment. I personally have no problems with these tactics.
    This is also a defining factor.

If anything, your points should contribute to the range, instanced effect, and access to the ability rather than calling out what it bypasses, or other abilities that can combo with it.

Note: I'm not saying the ability is okay as it is, and I'm not saying it isn't. Simply saying I've no problems when it comes to the ability. I'm neither in-favor of, or against a change.

Qucas, aseryen and Gnomes like this.
  3. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

I love it. Both of you. Good consice thought out arguments and rebuttles. Take heed @mw24 this is how one gets taken seriously and have your argument listend too.

Anima26, Pattn199, Qucas and 5 others like this.
  4. IronStylus

Another argument:
    I understand that leaving aura with stackable condition is against Sok's policy.
    Thanks, @IMAGIRL for contributing.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It is indeed LoL.

That is not what Sok was saying; he was expressing a descriptive statement, not a prerogative.

The ability is also 12 nora; for 3 more, you could get Arrow Eater.

6. Axeraiser

Axeraiser I need me some PIE!

I agree it shouldn't stack

Anima26, Pattn199 and Xirone like this.
  7. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

Yeah its always been strong but the champs its been given to usually can't make full use of it.
    I'm waiting for the day punishing aura ends up on a mobile stealther then people will complain.

8. IronStylus

Create an SP split with rockshapers, mangled totems, add some CC with defile, maybe also stealth your champions. You will see how strong the stacking is.

Yeah I exaggerated the meaning of his statement. I just think restricting is the direction this ability should be changed.

I don't think it's overcosted, but I see why you point that out. Single punishing aura on (for example) skeletal excavator is not that strong for raising his cost to ~80. It's the combination of couple auras + possibility of stacking AP on opponents that makes it high-level unpleasant to play against.

9. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

It would definitely be balanced on Stitched Dreameater.

Qucas, Gnomes and anima62 like this.
  10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Excavator isn't the best example when talking about any of his abilities being efficient, because the huge SPD sandbag makes everything look worse.

11. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

I remember people complaining about punishing aura in the past before.
    While it is super strong something to note is that you can't really control it for the most part.
    You can invigorate/drive the enemy but that's abit expensive/risky and might lead to your own units deaths should the enemy live.
    So for now i think its balanced but it might break the game in the future.
    ( if we get more runes interacting with enemy ap :p )

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  12. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Actually I've seen someone kind of abusing it in SP/FW(iirc) split with totems, everything with punishing aura, and rubgaal. It's quite nasty.

13. damnfoolishyeti

damnfoolishyeti I need me some PIE!

Good were the split with kf for force barrier time slip insta death. Think even titans fell at the time since they were target able.

14. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Let's just stop pretending that it's anything other than mangled totem. I'ts not punishing aura so much as it is relics with such a crazy ability are a bit over the top and when you can summon them well that's a whole new level of silly.

A champ shouldn't be able to chuck this thing 5 spaces for damage and then aura activates at the end of the turn.

15. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

It makes sense to me that things like Punishing Aura and Rebuke shouldn't stack.

super71 likes this.
  16. super71

I agree it shouldn't stack but I've only seen it problematic with the mangled totems. Champs with punishing aura can be played around until your ready to focus it down like others have said.

17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I don't know what this is referring to.

~

One thing to note about this type of Aura not stacking is that it requires a complete recoding to pull off, as the aura currently extends from the champion it is on and does stuff (and therefore it doesn't know if another Punishing Aura is also affecting the same target). However, for it to not stack means that it will have to be the champions it affects to check to see if it is in range of one or more Punishing Auras and then apply the effect from that end, so it's not a change to be made lightly.

18. IronStylus

So, are there any other options to make it work differently? I can't really think of any solution.
    I'm sorry for that one, let's pretend I didn't say anything. I can't really explain it.

19. super71

Could make it do 1 damage per ap and reduce the cost of it. A champ with 10 ap would still take 10 ap which is pretty strong still considering it's just for the champ sitting in range of aura.

20. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

To be fair though, everyone caps their AP at 4 all the time anyway (I hope people do by now, I know I do). So they'd take 4 damage. I can't imagine scenarios outside of dedicated decks that leave them on 10 AP. And then it's only a single target nuke.

I don't know, is this really problematic. I haven't seen this deck in action. I mean, force barrier can generally be seen coming from miles away, so if you drain ap to 0 when it's close you still only end up with 6 AP when you get force barriered, assuming you can't spend your AP on that champ somehow.

I'm not sure if that deck would be very efficient unless you got a great set up, but even then, you kill what, 2 champs from full hp in a midgame if you box them in next turn? That hardly seems shocking, you maybe do auto attack damages somewhere too and kill a third, maaaaybe. This is with a bunch of champs out and assuming your opponent can't drain his AP. Like the best possible situation is just a few kills? That seems so very mediocre compared to what other decks can do with the same amount of resources.

Am I missing something?