Randomness just pisses me off ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boozha, May 4, 2014.

1. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Yo momma so dense, tar spaces are like chasms to her.

SPiEkY likes this.
  2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

giggity

3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

To revive this topic, the box I just bought had two worthless exotics and zero legendaries again.

Guys, please consider implementing a system that does ntor andomly shaft people. Please. I am pretty pissed again, just now.

4. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

One idea could be making a box/pack bought with cash have a garanteed Legendary in it, while a box/pack bought with gold just gives you a random chance at getting one.
    I personally don't think it's unfair at all, we have had a bunch of people coming here and saying they got a Sixul for free, for example.
    But yeah, you could reduce the randomness factor by using $ to get one, I think that would be fair. But having a garanteed Legendary from a box bought with gold is a no go, I think.

5. Boozha

Or just kill randomness altogether and just give the current average. How many boxes is one supposed to buy to come close to the average? My last boxes have, anyway, been statistical outliers that have made me wary of purchasing boxes with cash .... Why can't I pay amount A and get value B instead of a range from value 0 to value x?

6. Pedeguerra

I don't know man, having a garanteed Legendary just makes it seem that nobody would pay for a box/pack anymore, and without revenue this game would be dead.
    I play Hearthstone entirely for free, have opened a bazilion packs and just got 2 crappy legendaries out of it. Am I mad? Not at all, I haven't payed anything to get into the game and I already have a pretty big collection and competitive decks for every hero.
    Like I said above, if you want to kill randomness you should have to pay for it, and that's why having a garanteed Legendary on a box/pack bought with real cash could be beneficial to both Pox and its playerbase.

7. Boozha

You are still talking about reducing randomness, not removing it. I am not sure why you think people wouldn't buy boxes anymore; I am not saying the value you get should be increased. I am saying the span around the average value should be reduced or eliminated. Currently, you get an average of x exotics and y legendaries with a box, all of them with a certain value v to them aswell. So you get sum(x(n) * v(n)) + sum(y(n) * v(n)) of arbitrary value points currently - if you have average luck. If you have bad luck like me you get less, if you have good luck you get more.

Why not make it so that you always get that much value, approximately, by just giving out the average of exotics and legenaries you would get anyway? (Which in the case of legendaries comes down to somewhere around 0,4, which is a bit of a headache admittedly.)

I don't buy lottery tickets. Currently boxes ARE like lottery tickets, and I hate that. Only reluctantly I buy them because I need the runes, but I would much rather just buy what I need, not a random chance at getting lucky or shafted.

8. Pedeguerra

I understand what you are saying, but I have to disagree with you, for the reasons I already posted above.
    Good luck with this, though.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

My math may be wrong here, so feel free to correct it. Every pack has a 10% chance of containing an exotic in place of a rare, so a box, which contains 9 rare slots should have a 61% (1-.9^9) chance of containing an exotic, or 3 out of every 5 boxes should have two exotics. Every pack also has a 5% chance of a limited, or a 40% (1-.95^10) chance per box of containing a legendary. That comes out to 2 in 5 boxes. To do what Boozha is suggesting, it should keep track of your box purchases so that Box 1 has 2 exotics, box 2 has 1 exotic and one legendary, box 3 has 2 exotics, and so forth.

10. Boozha

Yeah, the problem with that would be a distinct lack of elegance. What I'd rather see would be shard purchases, including separate legendary shards; with those you could forge any rune/legendary you wanted to. If a legendary would cost 100 legendary shards, a box would have 40 of those, a pack 4. If an exotic would cost 500 shards, a box would contain 300 and a pack 30.

It would eliminate three problems at once: Randomness, wide spread and thus low influx of rare legendaries/exotics from the bundled expansions, and the incredible difference in value between, say, UD and SP runes, since supply would then follow demand.

Maybe you could make those shard boxes optional for people with no luck like me at a somewhat higher price.

11. xxLordQxx

xxLordQxx I need me some PIE!

Maybe faction specific would be a bit much and to easy to exploit. But Wrath/Prot boxes would be awesome.

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. Sunutsu

Sunutsu I need me some PIE!

Yeah I agree with Boozha. I just spent $20 on packs and must of opened about 10 or 11 of them and all I got were cheap garbage runes. Feels like a waste of money if I can't at least get 1 somewhat good rune when I decide to buy desert coins.

Boozha likes this.
  13. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- "I don't buy lottery tickets" and "I bought another couple boxes and didn't fill out my already large collection" are the big argument point? Do you know how much revenue the lottery makes? terrible examples to bring up fella. All this forum is producing lately are ways for the game to "stop" making money. Remove cp system, remove "randomness" in packs of a card game?!?!

- Stop buying boxes until after the expansion. This will solve all your issues. Everything will be "new" and you will need it. Unless you post the "legit" results of opening 100 boxes or packs and all its contents st-fu. Your just whining with skewed data and poutiness as your argument core.

14. Boozha

Kid, listen. Maybe you will understand if I explain it in easy terms.

My suggestion does not reduce money made.
    My suggestion does not increase the value people recieve.
    My suggestion simply sharpens the bell curve of probabilities.

Got it?

15. Thbigchief

- If I buy packs to get X rune. And I don't get it first try I trade what I got for it, if I can...then maybe I buy more packs if I can't cuz I want that rune etc.

- If I just buy the rune, does that make the company more or less money now? Your the worst

16. Boozha

Exactly the same, as per average the runes distributed are the same. I am hardly surprised you are this bad at basic math, to be honest.

17. Thbigchief

- You think the potential income of someone buying packs for a specific rune will make the same profit as someone simply picking it off the shelf? How much do you think that loss of profit would have to make your "buy what I want when I want it" pride model? This is the model, if its to be changed its not going to be because of a whiny brat who got a couple bad boxes as his selling point.

p.s. The fact that you thought this thread needed bumped because you didn't get some legendary filled box is beyond spoiled and entitled. If you got a great box maybe you would have st-fu about it...tell me the legendary you want and Ill give it to you cuz you deserve it.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  18. Boozha

Funny you would bring that up, I see only one whiny brat, and that one complains about things that don't even exist. How much profit they would lose? Are you dense enough to even forget my last post? None, of course, since the number of packs to buy to aquire the runes you need stays the exact same. What it would change is reduce the overhang of unwanted runes and increase the supply of wanted runes, reducing frustration on the part of those who got the bad ones and increasing the number of packs people who got the good ones will have to buy instead of buying it all out with one lucky rune.

Though I am not sure why I argue with someone whose cognitive functions are apparently matched by some things that get stuck to my shoe on a walk through the garden; your resistance to facts is simply astonishing.

19. Thbigchief

- Your idea is so great ... "no one" has ever implemented it. Its prolly cuz its too awesome.

20. Boozha

Of the dozens of wildly successful online TGC's, I suppose? Of course graciously not counting every single exchange including PoxBox, which I could just pay for my runes if I didn't want to support the Owls? It seems you didn't even think about your last post in the slightest. Please, stop wasting my time and stop embarrassing yourself.