Rarity cost and power

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woffleet, Mar 4, 2014.

1. pixniri

pixniri I need me some PIE!

Gedden told us he is evaluating the leveling and upgrade system. Maybe rarity should have a meaning in this concept: rarity =customization options.

2. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

or simply have rarity reflect the uniqueness of the rune for the faction/race/class/rune type or the mechanics it can access.

3. AKHolic

AKHolic The King of Potatoes

I will have to disagree here , making the most expensive exos theme based runes will completely demolish the thought of new players playing the theme!

4. Woffleet

Woffleet I need me some PIE!

You guys do realize that the way the system currently is rarity = power = higher nora cost With a few Exceptions( Hoarfrost Dragon)
    I'm just advocating that we put a higher Nora price tag on those legendaries and nerf the powerful lower rarity runes(Also lower price)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  5. Monroid

Monroid I need me some PIE!

Rarity should be a factor that limits how much runes you can have in your BG. Any sort of limitation is a stimulus for creativity.

Would be like, you can only have 1 LE, 1 green one that I don't even know the name for it, 4 exotics, up to 8 uncommons and the rest commons.

I'm just so sick of watching ranked games and only seeing purple and green rings on the portraits.

6. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Actually I think rarity should = complexity but not = power.

In other words common runes should not have a lot of abilities but should have solid stats.
    Exotics should have normal status but do something truly unique or have complex interactions.

Nemorga and Woffleet like this.
  7. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Greens are the Legendaries. But yeah, pretty much agree.

It's also pretty intimidating.

8. Woffleet

that is what i'm saying.

Nemorga likes this.
  9. Chakax

Chakax New Member

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how Magic the Gathering handles this issue with Mythic quality cards? MTG seems like a pretty successful and mature game, I'm curious how they handle this issue.

10. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

Rotations?
    There are costs, conditions, etc. as well in terms of play, but yeah.

11. Woffleet

they make those runes cost a lot and in the case of planes walkers a tempo hit to play

12. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Rarity equal anything will allow a lot of people to say "Pox Nora is pay to win" regardless of the truth, and for the success of the game, people thinking that it is p2w is as bad as being truly p2w.

13. soulmilk

soulmilk I need me some PIE!

MTG is balanced in a different way than most competitive collector games because they have different game modes.
    Most common one is Constructed Standard, which have many over the top cards, many medium cards and many plainly bad cards.
    However, if looked at their other game modes, like example draft, the plainly bad cards become good and many, but not every over the top cards are bad.
    Then there are game modes like Modern, Vintage and Commander, which cards that was horribly bad in one game mode amazing, and over the top cards in other game modes bad.

[​IMG]
    This card is released in the newest set. It's a mythic, so the highest rarity.
    I personally find its design really stupid, because of these reasons:

1. 3/4 for 3 mana is good.
    2. 3/4 Vigilance for 3 mana is great.
    3. 3/4 Vigilance with good token generating effect for 3 mana is Stupid.
    4. This card is extremely hard for players who don't want to pay much to get.

Normally, Mythics in MTG are good Design. This Mythic though... Makes me really question the creators.

14. Woffleet

true Look at the response i got

15. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Well, you didn't explained yourself well enough.

16. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Most decks use a selection of high and low nora champs, as they tend to fill different roles in the deck. If you made high nora champs hard to obtain then you would end up with newbies forced to play only 'cheap meat' decks, and deny them many strategic options.

I don't think that would be a fair thing to do.

17. Woffleet

true

18. Woffleet

cheap meat would still fulfill the roles. Just not as well as the higher rarities