Regarding new players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devilsrath, Apr 23, 2015.

1. devilsrath

devilsrath I need me some PIE!

I've seen a lot of threads about how to attract new players. And rightly- there's an generally ~80-100 people online at any one point during the day. Even the most recent expansion, i think we peaked at 200. This isn't good enough. As a player, when there's 7 people on in the ranked lobby i'll just log off and play another game. As a business owner, with noone actually playing the game who's spending money?

There are several things that i think prevent new players actually getting into the game and getting addicted to it:

• No easy way to get very old content. You might think- "but what about the forge?". To forge a Dwarven King it takes 200 shards. The most shards you can get from sacrificing the most recent content is 120. So it takes 1.8 brand new runes to get the oldest, most common content in the game.
    • When I first got into pox I became slightly addicted to buying packs. I bought loads. The rush of getting a rare, shiney new rune, like with any pack of cards is addictive. This is the selling point of pox, this is how you make money- by releasing new content and people like me buying loads of packs.
    Solutions

• Make, say the first 12-15 expansions available in the marketplace as a bundle. Much like league of legends offers bundles of champions. And make it cheap. This gives new players a very easy entry into pox.
    • The tutorial needs to include rewards, and by rewards I mean packs. Reward new players with the product, give them a taste of what happens when they spend money.

Tweek516, Xzablaz, claydude5 and 13 others like this.
  2. devilsrath

Only proving the point that we are in dire need of ranked decay, in at least the top 100. The majority of the top 100 barely ever play, which doesn't help considering the playerbase.

3. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

All true, but for some reason when I installed the Steam version of Pox my memory leak simply vanished and never returned. Praise Al'mara.

Anyway, we really need a powerful reward system to bring players at this point, and I mean tournament style things. They're not my thing and I'm not sure I'd play, but that's what atracts people: easy profit with little effort.

Making credits from grinding is surprisingly easy, but it's still grinding, and you're just facing a sad dumb AI repeatedly. Unless you're a very slow thinker like me you won't enjoy campaigns/dailies(I love them), because the fun level is very low and you really won't learn the hardest thing to learn in Pox, which is positioning.

We need PvP, and the best way to encourage people to play it is by giving ridiculous rewards. And not only that, they must be the game's flagship, you gotta say everywhere that players can get tons of runes with 2 clicks, because we know we have the content and flavor; what we need is to fix all what DMR mentioned and make this game encourage PvP. Big time.

P.S.: I stopped talking about bugs a long time ago, because whenever I think about some of them a part of my soul dies. Slowly and painfully.

mw24 and JellyBerry like this.
  4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

@Senshu This is a thread to bring to Gedden's attention.

mw24 likes this.
  5. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

There has been many good ideas to bring in new players and to have more rune accessibility, but not one dev has posted. :(

Also, tokens are still rarer than Polymorph. Is it really that hard to make tokens available for gold purchase (singular) like old times. I can't think of a reason why this would be a bad idea... @Senshu @Moles @Gedden @Sokolov

6. devilsrath

Absolutely, but peaking at 200-300 players and dribbling down to 60-80 just isn't good enough. My suggestions are purely short-term ideas to improve the ease of entry for brand new players- and hopefully increase those numbers.

You said it your self, there are more players with NEW content, so why is the oldest content in the game so hard / expensive to obtain for new and existing players?

7. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

Honestly the first 6 sets, or Core set, needs to be free. Maybe x1 of ever rune in that set for completing the tutorial. Just make them untradable. The next 12 sets need to be SUPER cheap. Like 4 bucks for 100 runes cheap. This should be something just to get people to invest a little to get them hooked and give them a reason to stay. Then just keep the newest two expacs at the current price. To make money, make reskins purchasable and untrable. Same with avatars. Keep it where one is for gold but make more than one, even if it is just cosmetic, that is available only for cash. Make money off the cosmetics of the game, not the actual game play.

As an example, I have been looking for a limited tracker gnark. No one seems to have one for trade. I would give pox $5 for him right now, even if he was untradable. Why? Just because I want something that looks different. No other reason. However since he is limited and pox doesnt sell runes direct, I will just continue my search. Since I am not investing in pox, if I walk away now, I dont really lose anything. If they had him for sale and I purchased him, I would feel like I have invested into the company and now I need to protect that investment. Even though my investment is worth nothing either way since it would be untradable.

EDIT: Proof
    300 on cosmetics for a game. Why does pox not get into this more. Releasing limited reskins for a short time only helps the short term. Keep them available just make them untradable.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Fentum and Djangoguy like this.
  8. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

Pox needs an event manager.
    Sadly moles is now a programmer.

9. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

A lot of good ideas here, really constructive thread. Devilsrath you got enough alts man, stop hogging top 5 spots :(.(I don't play mw anymore if anyone wants that spot... not sure why mw is still top 10)

There need to be way better rewards for playing and winning pvp games/climbing rank.

Rank is pretty much worthless because you don't get anything from it.

10. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

When a lot of the current problems the game has are resolved it will be a lot easier to gain new players and retain them. I just don't understand the timing of the steam rerelease because there is still work to do before the game can attract a lot more players and get better ratings/reviews from average people.

A lot of good changes have been made though since the steam re release but there still is a lot more to do.

11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Mostly it is because they are busy, and anything they say on potential future topics now can be held against them. So they typically refrain. I still find it necessary to notify - Senshu - our community manager when I find things I think he should bring up with Gedden.

12. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I already suggested these to senshu but here it is
    More gold weekend once a month and promotional codes every expansion if possible would be totally awesome

13. Moles

Moles Administrator Octopi

The reason we have not commented on things like this is because there are a lot of things we are trying to get done behind the scenes, some for now, some for the future and some things are still being planned, and as such it is too early to start discussing details.

When the expansion is released you should see another step in the right direction - we are discussing and planning for a lot of different situations to help with new player recruitment, and player retention.

mw24 likes this.
  14. Jason

Jason Guest

Okay, but if we don't know the "details" because they're "behind the scenes", we're going to keep making threads like this.

So, you know, be prepared.

[​IMG]

drathys likes this.
  15. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

Problem usually is people complain once it's done if they heard the details but glorified it in their mind first and it's not why they inagined.

mortal ix likes this.
  16. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Stuff like this should be a priority over an expansion.
    I understand expansions are important for money but they are in the current situation bad for everything else(balance,rune avability,bugs..).

17. drathys

drathys I need me some PIE!

Coming Soon TM

Netherzen likes this.
  18. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

Okay, but was that a yay or nay on the tokens?

19. ChiaoLung

ChiaoLung I need me some PIE!

FTFY

Leadrz likes this.
  20. Dresnar20365988

Dresnar20365988 Devotee of the Blood Owl

When I suggested the forge I suggest a much higher value for converted runes.

The forge is the correct device for acquisition of desired runes for new players. The problem is the abysmal values of trade ins. The value needs to be tripled IMO. Right now every time you forge a rune a little voice in your head goes,"wow this is stupid", that is not the feeling you want when you are using a mechanic.

Also nerfing one of the most popular factions to the extent it's been nerfed to is a terrible idea. If it is the intent to reduce the power of all factions to the current power level of IS then you need to do all the nerfing all at once. Don't leave IS alone at the bottom for an undetermined amount of time as is being done now. Faction loyalists make up a large part of the player base. When your designer does this poor of a job he alienates a large percentage of the active player base.