Return to Poxnora and Ironfist

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by Prototype, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Prototype

Prototype New Member

Greetings!

I left Poxnora shortly after Sony bought over many years ago.
    Now with the revamp in place, I'm interested in coming back; although I do admit I have much catching up to do!

I'm a pure IS player. I want to know;
    1) How practical is to play mono-IS? I've noticed that in the time I went off there seems to be a number of cross-faction runes.
    2) What runes should I get? In terms of:
    a) Newer (post-Sony takeover) runes that I would have missed.
    b) Old runes that are back in vogue.

Thanks!

2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

Right now, everyone is in process of relearning the game, so you'll be on level with everyone else, sadly, that also means that people won't be able to help you as much.

http://www.poxbase.com/#!/home

Enjoy

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I would recommend picking a theme and it'd be much easier to make suggestions.

4. Prototype

Prototype New Member

Thanks for the replies, and no worries!
    I've always been a completionist for IS (I own most of the pre-Sony IS runes, many of them at max level) so I currently have no preferences.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  5. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

I offered a bouncer.

Its one of IS'es most unsinkable tanks.

6. Prototype

Prototype New Member

Thanks, but from my observation it isn't valued as high as my rune.

7. Anotherblackman

Anotherblackman I need me some PIE!

okay but you should still get a bouncer . Its a good rune in a good spot right now.

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

You can have my axe.

Sunder axe that is.

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Welcome back.
    Just pointing out that Exotics are virtually equal in value these days since they can be constructed in the Rune Forge for 500 Shards. The only exception is runes from the most recent expansion and they will be available to make when the Ronin expansion goes live in a month or so.

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

He's worried about some perceived miniscule value difference? You guys should stop getting gamed.

11. Prototype

Prototype New Member

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone; but back when I played we had trade stores (which appear to be no longer forum-based, but rather, website-based nowadays), and a quick look at some of them revealed a large discrepancy; we talking a three-fold value difference. If it were a tiny loss I'd gladly accept it, but 300% is a bit too much.

Anyway I've been toying around on Single Player for the past couple of days. So far Paladins feel somewhat sluggish, and an old school-styled non-thematic deck is similarly not overly smooth. I've banged together a Dwarf deck which I will get to testing later in the day, and an older phalanx-styled deck with Catapults.

What are you guys liking so far from your playtesting?

12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Poxbox is a 10 percent difference, until a rune hits an overstock threshold.

13. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

As a question, wouldn't it be easier then to just trade in your Flowing Ember to one of these sites and get the cards you want that way?

Well, honestly, I didn't play much Ironfist before the revamp so I don't have much to compare my current experiences to. However, in terms of a few runes I do remember playing before:

- Talgar Ironfist - he wasn't amazing before the revamp, and now he just feels really lacklustre. I suspect it's because he's very pricey but doesn't really bring much to justify that cost. Melee beaters aren't exactly hard to come by in IF.

- Barbarian Huntress - Honestly, I'm not even sure exactly what changed with her - all I know is that she (and her pet) seems a lot more useful now.

- Demolition Team - Much like Firemaw, I've been desperately trying to like this rune. But, it's time to be honest - it's an awful rune. I think 'Team' has been drastically overvalued, because this unit just feels completely overcosted - especially when its damage is so pathetic in comparison.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  14. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Dwarves are, and always will be, my favorite IS theme. Pre-revamp, I would have directed you to my Dwarf guide at the top of this forum, but now it's in need of a complete overhaul. From what I've played around with, I greatly enjoy the following runes:

Dwarven Roughneck: Combat Awareness is one of the best defensive abilities in the game. Load that up on a Reflexes 3 champ with decent range and Throw Axe, and you've got a solid unit for a decent price.

Dwarven Magister: Quickly becoming our star ranged unit, Magister takes a place alongside Scarlet Wing in most IS decks now. He doesn't have as much utility as before, but 2 damage types, Teleport, and your choice of spell-related abilities will make you love him. The fact that he kept his old 3-5 range is a blessing as well, since most other ranged units in that price range went to 4-5 or 5-6.

Council Elder: More of a combo-oriented rune now, Judgement is what you'd run him for. With Brewmaster having access to 2 types of Breaths, Agent having Scour now, Intoxicated being a common condition, Burn on Scarlet, and other such goodies, you can pull off some great powerturns. He's reasonably priced, and has a magic damage ranged attack; what's not to love?

Drunken Thug: In the age of efficiency, the Dwarf with the most ale in him is king. And who has drank more ale than the Drunken Thug? Coming out at 53 nora for excellent stats, Immunity - Psychic for lulz, and surprisingly decent damage, he's a respected part of our frontline core now. Run them and love them, because it doesn't get much more efficient than this.

15. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Stealth play with Roughneck removed makes me super sad panda.

16. Iskandak

Iskandak The King of Potatoes

Mountaneer, is greatly missed :( (as well as on euan)