Skirmish games not starting

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by DonK101st, Nov 5, 2016.

1. DonK101st

DonK101st Well-Known Member

They start about 1/2 the time. The rest of the time the loading screen just sits there, the dialogue with game tips etc continues to change, but the match won't load. I have to use task manager to end it, and try again. Usually get in one, then the next one fails.

Not having this trouble with any of the campaigns or the dailies. Those all seem to load fine. Just skirmish matches.

SireofSuns likes this.
  2. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

That is strange. It could be that it is trying to load a invalid map but hard to tell. Are you playing on the Stand alone version of the game or on Steam?

3. DonK101st

Hi Senshu. Stand alone, I'm not on steam. I got my brother who lives 80+ miles away playing the game as well, and he experiences the same thing, though not quite as often. It's really erratic. Sometimes I get in 4 matches until failure to load, then other times I have to task manager out 3 times in a row.

Not sure what to make of it. But not gonna stop me from playing. Great game.

4. Senshu

Hmm, that is strange because we some players have this problem too, but due to the unreliable nature it is difficult to track down that cause.

It is good to hear that despite this problem you are enjoying the game. Hopefully when we shift to the new game client that will eliminate this problem or allow us to better track it down. In the mean time we will be keeping our eyes peeled.

5. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

I also experience this problem, and I am using the Steam client. It's not too much of a problem since its Skirmish mode, and since I can start it back up very quickly and easily (yay steam client!).

6. Senshu

Thanks for letting us know this is not isolated to the Stand alone client.

7. TeaNinja

TeaNinja I need me some PIE!

Also have this issue sometimes, maybe 1/5 times on Skirmish. Using stand-alone client.

8. DonK101st

Happy Monday! So, did you guys look into this? I've been playing skirmishes all morning and havent had a single failure to load. Probably about 20 matches. Havent been able to string more than 5 in a row since my return, usually less. Working great today though if you changed anything.

9. Senshu

We haven't done anything, which is what makes this so odd. Are there any maps you are not seeing come up?

10. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

I am still having the trouble, I don't know why @DonK101st is so speshul. Have you tested him?

11. DonK101st

Odd. I pretty much played all day and only had one instance where it failed to load. Been back a couple of months now and today was literally the only day where I could basically play uninterrupted. Can't explain it.

One change I made to my pc, but not because of this issue was changing some startup options in windows 10. Was having a WATCHDOG error and figured out how to fix it. The two are likely unrelated, but thats been the only change on my end.

12. Xiven

Xiven I need me some PIE!

This has been a bug since Skirmishes were introduced. With and without Steam, some people never see it. I vote we dub this the, "Loading shared resources [of DOOM!]" bug.

SireofSuns likes this.
  13. Senshu

You are correct about this not being new, but it does seem like this may be happening a bit more frequently in recent days.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  14. Bravesteel

Bravesteel Member

I am also experiencing this issue. Haven't been able to launch a successful skirmish yet. I am using the standalone client.

Update: I've successfully launched a Skirmish versus the AI, but this still appears to be an issue for me.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  15. Senshu

Hmm, it sounds like you are getting paired up with a bot using a invalid deck or there is a map in the rotation that is not valid. Does it appear to be random as to when this occurs. When was the last time you played prior to this happening?

16. Bravesteel

Bravesteel Member

Hi Senshu, I hadn't yet played a Skirmish against the AI up to that point. It does appear to be relatively random. I'll try and do some fiddling later tonight to see if anything specific is setting this bug off.

17. Senshu

Thank you for the info. We think that there may be some sort of invalid map or rune that is getting into the rotation, but nothing has yet to pop up in our tests.

Bravesteel likes this.