So I bought a box, and it wasn't exactly satisfying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zenity, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

I think that legendaries shouldn't be key runes for a theme. It took forever for me to get 2 Voil Infernals, but hey, a global heal and 6 range speed buff is too good to pass up. Voil decks with Infernals are always better than decks without them.

Zenity likes this.
  2. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

Yeah, maybe I'm really just underwhelmed by the design. Things might look better after the redesign, if individual runes stand out more again.

As a summary of recent discussions, I would be super excited to see something like this:

- Upgrade system modified so that each upgrade costs Nora and you can select all four.

- Commons to Rares have a straight forward efficient design, with a clear purpose and upgrades which are mostly stats based (so you can beef them up if you like, but they'll still be simple).

- Exotics are expensive and more complex runes, the type you would build a deck around (like Heroes, and tricky supports).

- Legendaries to cover both, cheap efficient units like Commons without their upgrades, and with their upgrades they turn into expensive power houses like Exotics (by having expensive and powerful abilities as upgrades). So the primary appeal of Legendaries would not be their power but their versatility, and how easily you can fit them into a variety of BGs. For me that would make it super interesting to collect them.

That wasn't explained too eloquently, but you might get the idea. In the end it will most probably not come quite like this, but I'm looking forward to see what the Owls come up with in any case.

nitebane21 likes this.
  3. Xiape

Xiape I need me some PIE!

My interest is in making exotics actually exotic like you mention -- as in powerful but requires skill to use well. A large amount of the recent exotics have simply been power exotics. I realize selling power is important for supporting the game, I just wish the powerful abilities required more skill to use well.

4. Zardoz

Zardoz New Member

Legendaries ARE craftable in Hearthstone, so it would make critical business sense that Pox Nora also modernize to at the very least equal the competition. Great post. What a lot of people don't think about is how when the total rune pool grows, as it has through so many expansions, the paying consumers' odds go way down for obtaining the faction-specific and/or top-tier exotics when purchasing boxes. There are so many low-tier exotics now that the guaranteed odds of obtaining one are not very exciting or enticing, because you will likely receive trash. Without increasing the odds for exotics as the rune pool increases, the developers (SOE at least) just increased profits through a model of random rune distribution with diminishing returns for the player.

That being said, the consumer demands value for their money. I too have spent a ton of money on this game, but am no longer excited by random rune distribution in boxes, low grade exotics (have a ton), or DRM digital content with no offline (future-proof) longevity. I would spend more on Pox, but the value has to be there for me and all of us.

I'm glad the DEVS have recently reduced prices, that is a step in the right direction.

Zenity likes this.
  5. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

Bought a Box cause I was feeling good about it and got 2 Exotics and some other neat stuff. While it wasn't as thrilling as when I had just started, I'd say I was pretty satisfied with spending the 20 bucks. It was mostly the animated booster pack opening feature that made it the teeniest exciting though but that's just me and I think opening packs won't ever get exciting as 5 years ago after opening whole booster boxes of MtG (32 or 36 packs, I forget) at once anyways XD

6. crisian

crisian Member

i've had good boxes and bad boxes. but they were essentially free(paid for with gold).

however, if i were to have bought them with cash i would not have been that excited. i think that 1 guaranteed exotic doesn't quite cut it since the new changes. exos are forgeable which makes them less attractive as our special reward for buying a box. i do think that the exotic should be replaced with 1 legendary guaranteed with a box so you at least have some trade fodder and a chance of getting the runes you really want.

7. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- You know when boxes are least exciting to buy...right " before" a new expansion you have been waiting a long time for. This is how it has always been, it's not new. I still need runes for decks so I bought a box and some packs, got 2 exos and a leg. More importantly filled a gap in a deck with shards gained from sac'n extras.

- I also felt good helping a company I was glad rez'd one of my fav games. My biggest issue is all these people in here and other threads who pretended to be supportive when DoG announced takeover and now have with galactic light speed turned right back into whiny entitled brats. Support the game now and invest in a future product you hope it will be.

-@OP... So you bought a box and didn't do a cartwheel ? You supported a game you claim to want to back and got a quality product at a reasonable price. Save us the pout fest next time. Btw thank you for your support.

Shuyash likes this.
  8. Zenity

Zenity Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'll just pretend that you are living a busy life curing cancer and saving children, which made you skip my post and most of what was said afterwards before you wrote down your little rant. So let me highlight an important part of my original post for you:
    Last time I checked it's good business sense to make your customers want to spend money, not just for charity. The purpose of this threat was to explore the issue, see if others felt the same way, and what could be done (if anything) to make more people want to spend more money.

9. stfn

stfn Member

Agreed, Legendaries should be craftable. However at a much higher cost. Something like 2000 Shards for a low tier legendary.

10. Shuyash

Shuyash The King of Potatoes

I think some of the excitment will come back with the new expansion :D

Thbigchief likes this.
  11. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

If low tier leg cost 2000shards its 20times cheaper to trade it from pox box.

12. stfn

stfn Member

Who cares what Poxbox is trading at. They should be irrelevant.

~10 Exotics for a Legendary is fair. If you want a direct translation from the 5% box chance, charge 4000 Shards.

13. Queegon

Queegon I need me some PIE!

What would happen? Noone will bother creating stuff apart from what poxbox charges at 300k+.

For anything else you are better off crafting exotics and dumping them for credit, then using it to trade for the actual legendaries.

PoxBox is anything but irrelevant.

/bad idea

14. TheNidhogg

TheNidhogg I need me some PIE!

Works only up to a point - what happens when desired legends are out of stock? Also, PoxBox would just stratify its prices even more. It'd be fine.

15. Queegon

Only a fool would spend that many shards to create something that is out of stock outside of the 150k gold legendaries, and few others.
    Or are you going to spend that much on a ghern general because you need one, but is currently OOS? Thought so.

Would be a major headache for decondor, that's for sure. The crafting price would have to be significantly lower than 4k with poxbox around. Legs being twice as rare as exotic should make them twice as expensive. Not 8 times.

16. TheNidhogg

I dunno, maybe you are going to. I don't see any problem with it. I don't understand what your argument is.

17. Queegon

If you haven't figured out yourself, argument being at stfn's price of 4k, and poxbox being out of equation in that situation.

18. TheNidhogg

Since currently you CANNOT craft legendaries, how is putting the legendary craft price at any arbitrary value going to mess up PoxBox? Simplest way - make legendaries craftable but not able to be sacrificed. If it's cheaper to go through PoxBox, well, people would've done that anyway. But now you've added a way to get out of stock runes, and thus normalize their price wrt PoxBox. The non-sacrificable part is important so that lower tier legends (G'hern General is your example) don't get shifted in price because people use them to craft "better" legs.

19. stfn

stfn Member

Legendaries are 20x more expensive than exotics considering you can get one at 5% chance per exotic from a pack. Considering Exotics can be scrapped for 50-150 Shards each, a price of 2k would be 20x more expensive on average. The original idea was to have low level legendary runes cost 2k. But the 4k range isn't too bad.

20. stfn

stfn Member

Why do you think Poxnora prices are based off of Poxbox? If you haven't noticed Poxbox had to revamp their entire stock price for Exotics since the rune forger. When Legendary runes become available, they will just have to lower their prices again to stay relevant. At the moment, they are the only game in town for players looking to obtain Legendary Runes.

In order to become "meta" or competitive, players need Legendary/Limited runes. DOG forces players to purchase for a minimal chances to obtain Legendary runes treat non-paying players as second rate. They can run decent battlegroups but cannot top the leaderboards.

Look at it this way DOG, people who don't plan to pay will immediately leave your game when they realize they can never obtain top-tier runes without paying. They will think it is pay-to-win, which it is. They are capped to a certain power level. Nobody wants to be treated as second class players forever, they will just find another game where they aren't limited.

However consider introducing a true free-to-play experience where every rune can be purchased with shards. The same people who were going to quit immediately has been grinding while investing time and effort to build a flavorful Moga battlegroup. They just need that extra Moga Razor Legendary to complete their flavorful deck. They decide to buy 2 boxes and test their luck because they are invested. Didn't get that Razor? Well nobody will trade you two random Exotics for a decent Legendary at the current system. But in this new beautiful future, said player can just shard his runes and squeeze out that pretty new LEG.

The only downside this will cause is devaluation of everyone's runes from Legendary flooding. Poxbox will still own a huge part of the market considering they have thousands of C/UC/R they can just liquidate those into sufficient Legendary stock. Suddenly Legendary aren't that uncommon anymore, which to be honest never was. The majority of us that have stuck with Poxnora have plenty of Legendaries. This new system will only make the game more newbie-friendly. Forget player retention, we same 200 scrubs have stuck around since Octopi and will remain. You can treat us like garbage (Read SOE), in response we will whine, cry, threaten to leave, and come back for more.

DOG can keep the newest expansion out of shard reach to maintain a stream of revenue.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014