Soul painter

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by calisk, Dec 28, 2016.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

So i've thought about this character for years now tried every possible idea to make her good and keep take form and after all that...nope can't be done.

It's something like 55 nora and is pointless on a combat champ.

So in the spirit of take form I'm thinking the following redesign.

Stats
    Damage : 0
    Def : 1
    Speed : 6
    Range : 1-2
    Hp: 40

Abilities
    Arctic
    Mimic damage
    Adept Arcanist
    Mind siphon
    Upgrade 1
    Void shield, soul mason, soul channelling

Upgrade 2
    Void touched, draw powet, Soul tapped

I even aligned the upgrades to their matching sets, though you could mix and match

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Tweek516 likes this.
  2. Xzablaz

Xzablaz I need me some PIE!

Make his signature skill goes to upgrade path? I really love his rune arts and flavor tho

3. calisk

You mean take form? It's not her signature ability it's the signature ability of clay form, originally her signature ability let other units get "take form" and it made more sense that she had combat abilities but it was replaced and we have this thing that is left it wants to be a mimic but costs far to much to be reasonable to use, but if her cost is low then you are just getting better champs for free and they don't want that.

The new idea is an effective Mimic which is the same flavor as the current painter but she just goes about it in a cheaper and more chaotic way.

4. Xzablaz

Xzablaz I need me some PIE!

wow, his original skill so broken..

i like the idea of adept arcanist and mimic damage, hes going to be nice beater (although jakei have a lot)

why dont make him like a crowd control or disabler?
    ideas:
    metamorphosis (lol he paint toads onto opponents soul)
    gale

Jakei Climber also need rework too i think..

5. calisk

Jakei climber is a lost cause for a different reason lol.

Her ability is based on height changes and on most of the maps the developers never bothered with height on the majority of the map, just made things impassable or flat.

Aside from that though she could make a fun new project to think on.

As for her being a disabler or cc she could be if she steals the right abilities

6. phdstax

phdstax Active Member

7. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Takeform on Soulpainter should still be quite valuable.

8. calisk

Clay form is the best a "take form" champ can be which is as close to nothing but take form as possible.

Anything other than that is just not really going to fly, trust me I've tried dozens of designs and it just won't work really

9. aseryen

Nothing is wrong with the rune, Clay Form and Soulpainter may both have Take Form but are entirely different runes and should be played as such. Regardless this is a rune that works, has no need to be changed except for the fact that it is an existing rune that currently sees little play. It has before and will again in time, but by no means Soulpainter is shoeboxed that it needs a rework.

@calisk The suggestions are nice, just create a new rune instead. It's already a complete rework of the rune which is unnecessary.If you like the artwork so much just say "I want it to look like Soulpainter, but better..."

10. aseryen

Seems like you just want a better Draw Power unit, which I totally support.

11. calisk

Nah to be honest that was the last thing I added to my design, was trying to fill the third upgrade slot when I saw soul mason on shamfire which reminded me of draw power on the original unit.

Almost all of my time was spent looking for mimicry abilities, and things that either removed abilities, or gained abilities in response to things.

Imo I think he would have three viable upgrade paths

12. calisk

Well it's a redesign of a champ with an expensive and Ill conceived concept and thus has never seen play since it's creation save for one week when we found a way to have illusions get grant form from his ability in doubles decks.

He was never meant to have take form it was a lasy answer by one of the many developers through the numerous transitions over the years, and it has never worked as a realistically playable champion

Similar things can be said about Jakei climber, nora freeze, mil quake, etc, the only difference is this unit has bugged me for years so I made a point to mention him

I'm hoping to make the best out of the flavour for the rune while getting it to a cost and state that could actually be run

Tweek516 likes this.
  13. aseryen

Still an entire redsign and not at all necessary, and if you also like the flavor that can be added to a new rune as well, it would be your rune to design.

14. calisk

I don't see why the need to make a whole new rune when their is a perfectly good unplayed champ that could do it.

If this rune was removed from the game and nobody mentioned it, it would be 6 months before anyone noticed it was missing, and that person that noticed would be me because I'm the only one that thinks about these old runes lol

15. aseryen

Personally I would run Soulpainter in a FW/IS Lich bg with Nora Beast and Chronomancer, doesn't have to be high meta rune to be something I want to play. When sok announced the rework of Shroud of Al'mara I said the same thing I am now, the rune works and doesn't need to be reworked. It happened to be that Sok wanted to remove First Aid and revise Shroud of Al'mara and removing Resurect was just because he didn't see it being played.

I didn't say it then but I will say it now, how can anyone gauge the value of a mechanic in this low community. That includes me but in this case of the argument is that the rune sees no play and that's because Pox is a huge game and not all runes can be played all at once. If there was some sort of skirmish minigame so that players could create battlegroups to play against I would certainly be running the runes I want to see played such as Spare Parts, Mystic Atelier, Take Form, etc.

I understand the want for something new but at the cost of something that works when it can only gain value is not in my opinion something I would advocate. Put it in a new rune design, it would be great to see similar Jakei to Soulpainter, but a rework to Soulpainter is worse than the state you think Soulpainter is at.

16. aseryen

I've used Soulpainter with Chronomancer to sustain a Wish bg for both IS and UD.

IS: of course was Stonearm Sash, I've also done MoV, Manual, Mail of Barbs, Granite Bracers, Tales of Valor, Grintmaw Hymn(since there are limited Trolls)

UD: I played a Traitorous Helm bg that again would Take Form Chronomancer to wish spam Traitorous helm, or I would Take Form Bok Guardian to keep my Shrine alive.

Regardless of how meta or often I play these bgs, they have still worked over the years and all revolve around Soulpainters Takeform.

17. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I think it should be reworked. Cool idea but joke of a rune

18. aseryen

Reworking runes that work is a joke. Also I'm hijacking this thread and posting it in Rune Ideas and Suggestions. Can only try to explain that what WAD does not need to be changed since those are the capstone mechanics in Poxnora. It's ok to argue high cost and overall efficiency, but when what works gets changed entirely, something wrong is happening. Saying it has too high of a cost or does not see play does not mean it does not work which is why I am so adamant about any existing rune getting an entire rework for of those reasons.

19. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

How about working perseverance into the current soulpainter design? That way it can fight until it gets low HP or perseverance activates, then take form to go back to full HP.

Also maybe some kind of negative ability like slothful or stasis to keep its cost low.

20. calisk

that would put it up to around 114 nora, I like the idea though, my favorite so far was healing def and power store, then you could use her as a nora source after a heavy investment then shift her into a useful champ afterward. of course the end result champ would cost like 154 nora or something, so not possible

might be possible though with the right reworking of abilities i'll think on that one.