ST needs more freezing, slowing, ice eaters, frost acolytes and terrain changers

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Braxzee, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

It was not about slow, It is more of the freezing, change terrain, grant frost aura, ice eater options on other champs. Why does st have balance that is a kf/fw thing. replace with frost aura or freezing. Ferren really could use grant frost aura and more than one champ with freezing aura.
    It was not about slow, it is about freezing, frost aura, majestic, terrain, hidden arctic, frost amp (Very rare option now) and snow camoflage changing options on different champs. Why does st have balance? Really AOI and Yeti druid need balance that is a kf/fw type thing. Give them frost aura or snow fall. Wailing yeti no need for leech(Totally a UD ability, should be unique to them)

ST does have the control aspect of it. Crystals/Elementals are all about control. BY the way not everyone does spell spamming as a strategy. ANy faction can spell spam there way to a win. Which is a viable strategy. Basically ST has some very good basic options and the champs have strayed away from that a bit. Good gosh you cant hardly even find frost burn, force barrier or resist ice.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

First of all, keep Yeti Druid out of this, he's finally good. And the things you're asking for are basically all that made ST OP the last few months, so asking to have them back is kind of counterproductive.

Why do you want more Freezing Aura/Majestic if an equip/two spells give(s) it? In the end you'll just have a bunch of champions that do the same thing when there's no actual demand. And Frost Amp can't be on many champions simply because it has to be hard to get 50% or it will be broken, that has been proved over and over.

As for frost burn and resist frost, they are basically sandbags because only ST has enough frost damage to make someone worry, you're basically asking for ST champions to be less efficient - don't forget Arctic Flight used to give Frost Resist 1, and who actually cared for that?

And yea, Force Barrier isn't an amazing idea in the faction with Gale Force, seriously.

3. Braxzee

I did not say yeti druid was not good, I like yeti druid he is pretty awesome, The ability of balance has no need in the faction, why did you not comment on how awesome AOI is with this ability. Just because a champ is mentioned does not mean someone is saying nerf it or make it more powerful. Look at KAS Adherent it has only two upgrade options. Give him some basic ST ability to choose from at least. Anything like hidden arctic or frost aura or snowfall or even trail ice or crystal. No coding required and it does not op him or nerf him it just flushes him out to make sense to be part of the Savage Tundra. You talk about spell spamming and your answer to fix the issue is with spells

ST frost resist and frost burn is helpful, if you want to dmg your own champs with frost you can with out hurting them really bad, because you want to loose flight for a moment, proc frost acolyte STs version of transfer life, and place ice terrain in the area your champ is engaged in. Lots of uses for it

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Because you are blind and continue to demonstrate that you have no idea what is even going on in this game.

Here is a list of the non-champion runes that have been nerfed recently:

Noraweave
    Pygmy Hippo Stampede
    Drown
    Font Eruption

Snaptooth Crypt

Foul Rite
    Festering Wounds
    Doom
    Steal Life
    Repurpose
    Chains of Corruption
    Witching Hour
    Haunt

Bone Circle Staff
    Scouring Jasper
    Witches' Hourglass
    Unholy Tomb
    Crown of Nightbarbs

Fan Faire
    Carnivorous Vines
    Fire for Effect
    Bond of Vashal
    Eriluun's Favor
    Brambles
    Overgrowth

Slipstream Fulcrum
    Throne of the Circle (twice)
    Covenant
    Amareth's Lexicon

Righteous Deflection
    Macadamize
    Might of Ironfist
    Mark of Redemption

Forge Hammer (twice)
    Morin's Corner
    Griffin's Perch
    Northern Cross Obelisk

Howling Wind
    Ice Storm
    Ancient Implications

Ferren Hideout
    Star Catalog
    L'usara's Staff

Channeled Violence (twice)
    State of Confusion
    Crack the Earth

Lightning Rod
    Slaver's Whip

Mine Field
    Magnetize
    Dragonfear

Forbidden Fruit
    Gatling Gun

Split Personality
    Drain Vitality
    Masochism
    Bane Shift (currently banned from ranked)
    Superiority

Dimension Door
    Molten Cloak

(Spells in Bold)

Nearly all of this has been since the Nov 18th Patch, when I began a review of all non-champion runes.

And this isn't the first time you have demonstrated you don't know what's going on. Even just this week, when you claimed Channeled Violence was untouched until ballballer mentioned it even though you had talked about it a year ago... well, apparently you never noticed that it got nerfed 9 months ago.

Maybe we aren't as awesome at balance as you, but who can tell when you don't actually give any useful feedback most of the time and when you do talk, you repeatedly demonstrate a lack of knowledge about the current state of the game or what's been happening? Again, there's nothing wrong with criticism or having different opinions than me, but it's incredible to me how you just say things and have assumptions that can be so easily demonstrated to be completely wrong.

I mean, god damn, if most of that isn't "nerfing staples," what is?! We can argue about definition of staples and why X or Y specifically wasn't nerfed, and how some of those are new, etc., but either way it's reasonably easy to see that Ice Storm wasn't randomly nerfed and everything else was ignored.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  5. Sokolov

As for the topic, ST actually has the most terrain/damage type interaction in general, and thematically/lore-wise it is the most tied to the damage/terrain as well. I don't think spreading around more Ice Eater/Ice Front is really going to change anything.

That said, I think many of the options are quite outdated and I'd like to introduce some new, more novel stuff for ST players in the future.

6. Braxzee

Oh cool back on topic, I was thinking more of all of the options on other champs, grant frost aura, trail crystal, force barrier, resist frost or grant it, snow camo, hide arctic and gale. Get rid of balance and leech out of the faction. Thanks for getting back on topic I was not talking about op or nerf or give certain champs more power. I was just talking about more of their basic ST options onto different champs. Outdated opitions on other champs can be fun. Especially some applied to the strig. Council of spells back would be nice as well. It is only on wizen wren

7. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Well then, I wasn't even going back to this forums, but since you started with the personal attacks so shall I, @Sokolov .

The one who is blind here is you. You are simply TERRIBLE at balancing this game, it gets to the point that its pretty sad.
    YOU are the one who has no idea of whats going on, you are more like a puppet in the hands of the terrible players you listen to. Not to mention, whenever someone with knowledge comes along, like Ballballer or Deviswrath, you pratically bend over and do whatever they want.
    The fact that I dont give more positive feedback is simply because you, with your limited knowledge of this game, wouldnt understand and just give me snarky replies on how Im being incoherent or some crap like that.
    Ever since you came along you have tried to make Pox look like you, not its players. So you came up with all this Ferren, Vashal, Fairies, Corgi, etc., crap, and with a bunch of "interesting" mechanics (does someone remember Ichor) that simply wont work.
    YOU are the one who has no idea of what direction you want this game to take, and it pains me a lot because you had a chance to save this game and you BLEW IT. Sad, but true.
    Dont expect me to reply to you anymore, because if you are willing to treat a CUSTOMER like this you or this company obviously dont deserve my money.
    OH, and btw, that list of nerfs you made is simply hilarious. I'm going to assume a "STAPLE RUNE" is something that is ran x2 auto meta in any bg ever made. Let me show you so you can undestand:

1) Ice Storm, Howling Wind, Ancient Implications - 3 staple spells, used in pretty much every bg in ST (except for Howling Wind, which is only auto on frost bgs). Not to mention Ferren Hideout got firked again out of nowhere.
    2) Then comes FS, with 3 staples nerfed as well - which I didnt agree with how you nerfed Font Eruption - uncalled for;
    3) On FW side, you nerfed all the spells YOU BUFFED not long ago. So you made a mistake and went back. Out of all the things you nerfed there, the only staple was Unholy Tomb, but you still managed to nerf it so it remained auto. Maybe, maybe Steal Life could be considered a staple, but Im not sold. The others are NOT staples;
    4) On KF side: LOL on "Throne of the Circle (twice)". LOL. How many of those are staples? None. Once again, you showed how you favor KF, and people thought you favor ST kkkkk. Come on, be honest and real with your players, you know you favor KF of all others, theres no denying.
    5) On IS side. 2 staples, good (RD and Might).
    6) Yeah, took you long enough to nerf Channeled Violence, good job on not dealing with it on the first go. Mine field is hardly a staple (BP doesnt run it, for example), but Forbidden Fruit being nerfed was good.
    7) SP: how exactly did you nerf Slavers Whip and how is doom cliffing not dealt with?
    8) UD had some good things nerfed too, I will give you that.

So yeah, to me it doesnt look like things are being nerfed equally. KF and FW obviously avoid a lot of heat, but that probably has to do with the fact that you favor those buddies of yours from those factions.
    Also, it isnt something homogeneous. Why not touch all AOE at once? All nora generation? All summon generation?
    I will tell you why, because you have no idea on what to do with this game, nor how to balance it.
    My life you move on, though, because its just a matter of finding another game to play. You, on the other hand, work for this game, so YOU are the one who should be opening your eyes.
    Have a good day, an excellent life and you will not hear from me again.

8. Sokolov

So here's the thing.

The reason I am snarky sometimes with you really comes down to two things:
    1. Quite frankly, you are abusive to other players, who are ALSO my Customers
    2. The lack of constructive feedback that I KNOW you are capable of
    When I came back, you were extremely angry at Gedden for the revamp, the way the Council was run, etc. I tried to explain to you how I utilize the Council differently, I brought back the Crate so everyone knows what's coming up and can provide feedback, and that seemed to appease you for awhile. I then tried to get you to focus on the issues as well as focus the criticism on me, by repeatedly explaining to you that it really should be on ME. If you have problems with decisions, it isn't Xirone or Markoth you should be complaining about, you should address the ISSUEs so I can understand why you think they are a problem.

And I do this with you because we had a good working relationship in the past where you provided feedback that I felt was valuable (even if some other players thought you were just another ST zealot in my fanclub). I even defended you against other players and their accusations in the past.

So when most of your posts consisted largely of attacking other players, I spoke to you privately. We discussed things and you said you would try and post more constructively. You then looked at the latest patch and gave some GREAT feedback on about 1/2 of that patch, but this quickly faded and you went back to the old habits.

You know I like your feedback when you do provide it. It's why I engage with you so often. There are people who just troll and I mostly just ignore them because I know I won't get anything useful out of them anyway. For example, when you posted the list of things IS has for spot effects, and I suggested you can make a list like that for other factions, you challenged me to do so... and I did. I spent a few hours putting a list together to see if I was right or wrong. You never commented nor replied, and I was disappointed by that, but either way your comments did encourage me to verify my own claims - which I appreciate.

So that's why I keep trying to get you to see how I and other players perceive you. It doesn't mean you don't know what you are talking about. But how can we tell if you aren't showing us the right way?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  9. Sokolov

But yea, I am not perfect. I admit this. It's why I take good feedback seriously, and engage in discussions. It's also why I am willing to admit I am wrong, and go back on changes that turned out to be bad.

~

It's true SOME of the stuff on those lists were from buffs. But many others were not. Others that got buffed still don't see play. Some got nerfed multiple times, such as Witching Hour, which went from global to AE3 way back in March.

Ferren Hideout was actually buffed just like some of the others, but it started getting ran often in a number of ST decks for spot relocate, so I put it back to 35 and, as stated in the Crate, am planning on making it work as intended for Ferren specifically and bring the cost back down to the 30 I want it at. So no, it wasn't "firked again out of nowhere" and it's strange to me that you react that way to an ST rune being "unbuffed" but so differently to FW ones being "unbuffed."

Unholy Tomb is still used, and you have to keep in mind my goal is not to nerf things so they are shoebox. Data-wise it isn't auto, and I know a number of FW players who do not auto deploy this thing as they had in the past. It's still a great early deploy, certainly, but also not to the extent it used to be.

And yep, lots of stuff got buffed in many factions. I was doing a fairly wide-scale update to the non-champion rune spells. TONS OF stuff got changed, and certain things, like Crack the Earth which has almost never been ran, turned out to be REALLY good. As I said, I am very willing to admit I am wrong, and I expected to have to roll back some stuff when I made so many changes, especially to old spells that weren't being used often and we didn't have much data on. At the same time, part of the goal WAS to introduce some shakeups in the meta in terms of non-champion runeslots.

Mark of Redemption and Ancient Implications are very similar spells and both utilized quite heavily, so if Ancient Implications is a staple to you, then I don't understand why you would exclude Mark of Redemption.

This was basically 2x auto in every FS deck and is still largely utilized in most FS decks. If you have specific insight as to why it was "uncalled for," I'd be interested to hear it. @doubtofbuddha might agree with you actually, as he had criticism of that nerf as well, but personally, I'd like to see FS' core spell competency be more utility and CC-based.

You have an extreme hatred of KF for some reason. And maybe you are right, maybe I do favor KF. But it isn't done on purpose, and I don't do it specifically. There are plenty of KF players who hate me for nerfing their stuff all the time, so as far as feedback goes, I generally feel like I hate every faction.

I don't know what definition you are using for "staple" here, but most of those runes were heavily utilized in meta (such as C. Vines, which became extremely popular while you were not really active, but it was a 25 nora hard CC spell that was winning mid-fonts all over the place). In other cases, they were used in their themes ala Channeled Violence (Bond of Vashal, Fire for Effect, Throne of the Circle). So if you "like" the nerf to CV and Witching Hour, then I don't think you can argue nerfing Bond of Vashal, for example, wasn't along the same lines.

So I really think you are being unfair with regards to KF here, mostly because of your obvious bias against the faction ever since Gedden nerfed Arctic.

BP doesn't run it specifically cause he thinks it's cheese:
    ~

Even if it's true... why should they be? You of all people, I don't think, is advocating that if I nerf something one faction, I need to nerf every faction in a similar manner, I hope? Sometimes, something in one faction is just OP and we nerf that thing and that's that.

They really don't. You continue to simultaneously accuse me of not listening to players AND listening to players, and it's just awkward.

It depends on the type of thing. In this case, the goal was go thru all the non-champion runes. I still have some stuff to evaluate, but as you can see from the above list, lots of that has changed in the past few months.

But as I said, there's no reason to nerf ALL of X if only one or two is out of line (on the other hand, you also suggest nerfing Font Eruption was "uncalled for" in a series of patches that nerfed many what I consider staple spells, including many AEs, so again, somewhat contradictory feedback from my POV). There are also some cases where changes require code changes, so they happen slower, such as Summons or dealing with Cliff Diving (which is a core engine change and not something done lightly).

I also targeted mostly direct DMG or damage stacking/buffing spells for nerfs, while buffing or leaving along the less direct impact spells. So that's another reason why some things weren't touched.

So I certainly feel that many staples were nerfed across all factions. You might disagree, but it seems after looking at what was actually nerfed you just feel like it wasn't as "even" as you would have done it, and that's certainly a potentially valid argument.

In any case though, I hope at least after reviewing that list you DO see that Ice Storm wasn't the only staple nerfed out of nowhere like you originally claimed - which was what I was replying to mostly with my list.

I do think, from a messaging perspective, it might have been received better by some if I had done most of these at once in a single patch (so that different factions didn't feel like they were getting significantly nerfed more in a specific patch).

10. Sokolov

I want to highlight this specifically, @Pedeguerra, because this is partly what made me post what I did earlier about you not paying attention and just spouting angry things. If you do not read/reply to anything else, I hope you at least read this section regarding CV so you can understand my reaction better.

CV was nerfed fairly quickly when I came back and got settled. In fact, I nerfed it in the EXACTLY one of the ways you suggested it should be dealt with on March 4th:
    So I made it cost 40... RIGHT AFTER discussing it with you in the Crate (over many posts) in the very NEXT patch on March 16th.

So when more I RECENTLY decided on a further +5 increase recently after the addition of a couple of new SL runes that work EXTREMELY well in Draksar (Flashblade and Indignation), you turn around and make the ENTIRELY false claim that I ignored the spell after you complained about it a year ago and that I only cared when Ballballer mentioned it... and then even after I pointed out that I DID nerf it already... you say, sarcastically, "good job on not dealing with it on the first go."

I hope you can at least IMAGINE how it feels to be on the receiving end of this which is... well, quite frankly, bullshit. I mean, how do you expect me to react to this blatant disregard for what actually happened and your anger towards a situation that in NO WAY happened the way you seem to think?

And this isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened too - this has happened a number of times this year with various things (such as when you came back recently, and discovered I was telling the truth in regard to the decreased cheap meat spam).

So while I do respect your opinions when you do provide constructive feedback, I hope you can see how when you make these kinds of comments I might be less sure of the validity of your comments than you are (particularly when you don't explain them)?

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

@Sokolov is correct

I don't like how it plays. I hate RNG. And it's just plain stupid. I refuse to run Mine Field.

12. Sokolov

Oh, and this one makes me sad because it's so OBVIOUSLY not what I do.

While, of course, I do make the final decisions and I have to do what I think is right - I make this game for the players and the community. It's why I am so vocal on the forums and engage so much with the players. It's why when I wanted to fix Ferren I spent hours on the ST forums discussion what players would like to see with Ferren, and then started SECOND discussion post-rework of Ferren to hash out the remaining concerns/issues.

Ferren was done under SOE when Corpse and Rev was still working there. Fae have always been in PoxNora. Vashal, Jellebrium and other such themes came later, when players began asking for more coherent themes like the others and continue to do so. If you look at rune suggestions or the "Player created expansion" thread, you will see these are the kinds of things players want expanded - and I oblige. In fact, expansion content is largely based on what players are requesting - if people are asking for Jellebrium, there will probably be Jellebrium 6 months down the line (because that's the timeline/pipeline).

Corgis though, that is 100% Gedden/DOG, I didn't do any of those - I just got the art they requested and did something with them :D

And Ichor, yea, that didn't work very well in meta (though it was well-liked in Drafts, which was kind of the idea). SOE was also mandating a bunch of stuff at the time including minimal time spent on development of expansions, so we had our hands tied quite a bit in regards to what could be done with a few of those expansions (which is why you saw so many dull abilities like Solo and Ichor which required very little code time).

Personally, I like the way the game is now more than the SOE era of "everything has 8 abilities and is undercosted and themes are BOOST + Stat buffing only and we have all kinds of similar abilities that all work slightly differently" and more into templated abilities, interesting mechanics that embrace the idea of synergy between runes instead of stand-alone power.

13. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

And KF and IS both are better at utility and crowd control-based spells. Why should FS be the third strongest in its core compentencies?

Font Eruption was strong in certain situations but weak in a lot of others, and moving it from 45 to 50 pushed it over the line from frequently runnable to mostly not worth including. I can lay out my specific objections again if you like, but I am not sure that is what you want.

14. Braxzee

Uh what happened to this topic lol. This was about ST and how some options they have do not fit, and could use just some of the basic options they have in play all ready on other champs. It is not about nerfing and oping other factions. Example AOI could have grant frost aura on her, simple and useful, Balance should be removed from faction completely, as well as leech vitality on wailing yeti even though it is an awesome ability it does not belong. Some more majestics, freezing auras, and so forth on other champs so they can get played and used as well. Instead of the same auto inserts into bgs cos I would like to have ice terrain or ice amp. I get you can easily get frost amp up there. If ST can all ready get to 50% ice amp easily why does it have to be the same champs to do it with? Variety in that realm would be super helpful in keeping things new.