State of PoxNora 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sokolov, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I mean... what does "need" mean? And need for what?

I just think the terminology of "we need Pox 2 to save Pox" is a bit weird, and not a common thing to say about games and sequels.

aseryen likes this.
  2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I have been thinking about it some, and the way I interpret it is as follows:
    • Pox is a unique game, so there isn't another game I can play to replace it
    • Pox is something I want to keep playing but with more people
      • we can also just leave it as "keep playing" if we want to just assume that it's on the way out
    • The current Pox game doesn't seem likely to expand much beyond its current playerbase
    Therefore, I want a new version of Pox that could potentially get more players so I can play it (with more people, continue to play, etc.).

In that way, a new version "saves" not Pox specifically, but the concept of the game that I want to play which is hard to replace.

Xiven, Hierokliff and aseryen like this.
  3. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

PoxNora Two
    The Desert Owl Games team has taken many bold moves since acquiring PoxNora. The community has seen a large amount to changes with cost to champions and they way we can acquire runes. The revamp has come with substantial amount of bugs, however, due to diligence of the DOG team and the PoxNora community, PoxNora is the closest it has even been to being balanced and the closest it has even been to being bug free. With every patch the community gives an enormous amount of feedback and the DOG team responds with a discussion and a new patch. Everyone has put in a lot of work to get PoxNora to it's current level of performance. I do not believe making a PoxNora Two would be appropriate at this time. We are currently playing one of the most well functioning versions of PoxNora we have ever had, and I am enjoying the ride, I do not want it to end.

State of PoxNora
    -The fact that drums of war is frozen is strange. Drums of war may be a back round feature, but it is enjoyable to watch.
    -Guild rankings being non-active is taking an element away from ranked play.
    -When PoxNora enters a period with little changes players often develop really efficient battle groups for the maps in rotation. If a midterm can not be released a change or addition to the map rotation can have a small but refreshing impact on game play. (Elemental Plateau is lame)

Hierokliff and aseryen like this.
  4. aseryen

aseryen I need me some PIE!

Pox 2.0 is more of what Supercell and Beta Dwarf are doing with their games.

Heroes of the Storm is a good example Of another kind of revamp. (I just like the idea of mixing styles similar to all Superhero mash ups)

Contest of Champions
    Fire Emblem Heroes
    YuGiOh Duel Links
    Pokémon Duel

Pox 2.0 in my opinion would be more akin to a dungeon builder similar to Dungeon Empires and then push the fringe of how many genres a game can have (but that is because Poxnora is just so expansive and full of potential) similar to how LOL can continuously add Champions to play since it is not tied to a singular 'universe' it's lore is very mixed while Pox is static in Poxanthuru)

I more joke about Pox2.0 and since it would make more sense to have Poxnora the game people want to play instead of having two separate games, Duel Links/Magic online and other card games are made to create a digital format for their physical games, Poxnora being digital is in that sweet spot of not having to hold true to anything but a digital(ever changing format) and I think that is also why players see Pox2.0 as a possibility.

I agree that game companies themselves do not make a clone of their game and rerelease it in the way some players talk about however it can't be denied that clones become uniquely successful in their own right and just the same as music there are only so many combinations that the mechanics can be interacted with, especially in an isometric game; which is why adding more clauses and unique abilities is always exciting!

I think the biggest thing here that a lot of players love so much is that Poxnora is a Digital Tabletop game; toy soldiers with their own loadouts and identity. However since we agree that a Pox2.0 isn't exactly necessary can we agree that more ways to interact with our figurines is more fun, even if it is still within the restraints of a 10yo game.

Campaigns are essentially Pox2.0 they have a King of the Hill gameplay built in with Boss units, but there is no other way of interacting with Bosses; adding another game format where players can have pre-deployed units(similar to a Dungeon Empires) and creating a KotH game mode is what us Pox2.0 believers want.

Extra Decks
    Pre-deployed rune formatting
    Campaign creation
    Modding

It's because Poxnora doesn't have any of these that 'Pox2.0' gets used but really it's just the same as when League of Legends got there extra game modes, no magic, no vodoo, just answers for what the players want.

New maps are the equivalent of new game modes, create conditions that a Font cannot be captured until both players get a Hero to challenge each other. Or have Fonts that can only be captured/contested by X. These are not novel ideas but I can understand that unless viewed in that light Poxnora is very static and these things just seem impossible or unnecessary for the current Poxnora.

Since the Player made Expansion didn't have new abilities perhaps the next one will implement conditions and abilities for Shrines/Fonts that mixes the game up; if at the very least give us different incentives to play instead of just "kill the shrine to grind for your collection". I can see how ranked/casual and 1v1&2v2 and Campaigns/Dailies/Skirmisher can be seen as enough but if the issue is always player retention and all that has been done is moving numbers around(STAT balancing) without implementing new mechanics the game becomes static which isn't necessarily bad. There's plenty to learn and no one knows everything in this game, so again I understand the want to keep the current game state of simply killing the shrine.

Everquest...doesn't that have a card game built into their MMO? That kind of screams Pox2.0, a 3D game similar to Spark/Landmark(sandbox) that has Poxnora the digital tabletop as part of its internal mini game...plenty of reasons to justify a Pox2.0 but most likely it will be another company/lore/artwork that has a tabletop game which creates the universes for their 3D games to play in. Micro-Macro and vice versa.

D&D didnt need to be made digital but surely enough we have Poxnora which is a digital format of character sheets(D&D)...Pox2.0 is the same as wanting a digital version for written character sheets; it's just that now we want more perspectives to play in our digital version of DnD...again not a novel idea but highly unlikely DOGz will make such a huge change. This kind of runs parallel to what happened with MOBAs; once the format was set, the next logical progression was new ways to interact with that format; which in a 3D environment is a lot more noticeable than the isometric gameplay of Poxnora.

I'm excited for the future of Poxnora as always

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  5. aseryen

Would be like to see which game that was. I have been working for years now on making 3D models for each race (Units/Relics/Equipment) it is what I went to school for.

I have seen Pokémon on UE4 but not a Poxnora, Id expect Digimon to get more attention than Pox but Poxnora does have some unique and amazing artwork that would be phenomenal in 3D.

6. aseryen

A lot of us are actually early 20s since Octopi did do a little bit of advertising. There were ads on Mmorpg.com and Kongregate when I first joined 2007. My brother and I were playing Bots from Acclaim at the time.

It took roughly 3 years to get enough runes to play ranked competitively and another 2-3 years before I stayed in high Exotic league, unfortunately never reached top100 (had to do with only playing only Rock defiance under SOE like I pretty much do now)

Poxnora has come a loooong way since 2007 and really each expansion is always new, even those money grabs SOE would do. Poxnora has been pretty much the only game I put money into and it has always been unfortunate that it has mostly been towards Poxbox.

Now that Pox is f2p, and it really is, I haven't put any money into it because Poxnora has always been the epitome of collectible games for me and I believe a lot of others as well. If not for the runes themself it's to see what you can get under who is developing Poxnoraat that time. There are many Eras of a Poxnora which is why I like to think games like Heroes of the Storm and Contest of Champions, etc are apt examples when thinking of a Pox2.0

I would love to play a fighter pox even if it would have nothing to do with Poxnora except for the characters. Which is why I turn to Supercell and Beta Dwarf as development companies to compare. A rogue-like Poxnora would be awesome but I really want a Dungeon Creator so that I can make rooms of specific modules I like...the epitome of min-maxing in my own little multi-verse

7. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

The game in question wasn't pox, it was called void rim.

It had most of the old rules of poxnora but used 3d models and played like pox.

Their were fonts shrines deployment zones rune docks and Spells and equivalent to nora.

Basically it was space poxnora.

8. aseryen

I tried playing Void Rim but there was never anyone to que against, there were times I was the only one in the lobby. Didn't know it had those features

9. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

When I joined their was about 25 or so in the beta had about the same que time as pox now.

Played for about two days then got bored because of the reasons I mentioned before. It never felt like it improved on pox, it did have some of the classic stuff that was removed to simplify it which I liked but those negatives were brutal.

aseryen likes this.
  10. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Pox 2.0 makes so many additional issues you probably didn't think about though. If it's an entirely new game it's not fair to let veterans keep their collections and everyone else start from scratch. That means some of us lose hundreds or even thousands of invested money into the game? If I had to pay again to unlock a decent amount of cards I'd be way less inclined to play. I hated having deck ideas and not the runes or trade value to pull it off in the early days.

aseryen likes this.
  11. voodoochile

voodoochile The King of Potatoes

How would a game that has the same concept as pox have a larger player base? Or be actually better?

I also would like to point out that in my particular case pox has been a huge success. I have never spent as many joyful hours playing any other video game, or being as addicted to any other, or spent so much money! XD.

Hierokliff and aseryen like this.
  12. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

pox doesnt need a "new" version because it is already "new" each time there is a balance patch/new release. Its like mtg. it doesnt need mtg2. it would be a different game, and player all over the world would go to hasbro and start a riot.
    Pox has the advantage on a physical card game that it can modify its cards completely without having to reprint them.

SO

does pox need a new game? No, it isnt needed as long as they patch it constantly and release new things.

does pox need a rotation? No, because it would make old players unhappy without helping new players. As long as there are constant changes in runes, older runes get usable too so no need to rotate them. Also some themes would be too "hurt" from a rotation system, and meta bgs would be like 99% of the ranked choice.

does pox need a graphic restyle? Maybe it could help. I know some people that could be quite interested in the game but are stopped by the "old lookin" game. I still think 2D is the only way to go for the game, but MAYBE some little work on older sprites COULD help some new player get into the game.

does pox need new formats? Indeed the DRAFT/Sealed/similar mode should be back, because its enjoyable for older players AND a good school for new players that dont have a lot of runes.

OriginalG1 and aseryen like this.
  13. aseryen

I think the Sprite work is pretty unique and part of the nostalgia I've always liked. Simple design but of course art is never simple except for Bob Ross.

I was thinking about a game mode for Fonts & Nuetral Titans

Before the game each player can pick abilities that will be put on the Titan. There can be a system that determines what abilities are put on the Titan so that way there can be counters such as Lethargic, Impatient or Inexperienced, etc. placed on by either player.

The Titan roams toward the shrine with the highest/lowest hp after X turns or specific conditions are met (games within games)

Titan Fonts can be captured to gain control of the Titan. These are essentially KotH Fonts and Nuetral titans can be designed with Stasis or other restrictions to create more interesting Hero/Titan/Avatar battles.

Possibly limit which rarity/unit role (Hero/Titan/Aspect) can interact with these Fonts or create unique interactions if an Aspect contests the font vs a Hero.

An offline mode would be pretty nice for a lot of people too

14. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

About ability consolidation i would very much like to see runes that have Hold the line, not also have defender, block as only upgrade paths. would be great if they would stack, but with so many good abilities i just want to make a list of runes that could have different upgrade paths. And if removing different levels of block/dodge/evasive/leap/teleport the upgrade paths could be even more intresting and so the game more fun without that much work for the developers.
    Heal champion1,2,3 is also a common upgrade for alot of healers, hard to find use for heal2 compaired to the other 2 heals, allthough i would still want heal1 on certain bgs, while heal3 is my basic heal upgrade.

15. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Need in the sense that nobody would be playing civ now if they didn't keep making new versions of it. It could have easily been some half remembered game about moving around tiles that older gamers nostalgically think back to.

@MrBadguy yeah, fair point, it is a different sort of thing. I'm not sure the model prevents a sequel game, but it does make it more difficult I guess.

16. aseryen

@MrBadguy, and really anyone else.

Could you explain what campaigns are for you? Same for Dailies.

There are Dailies that have swarms, others with Bosses and Titans and a few others that unless mindlessly farming can be quite challenging depending on the bg you want to use. Choice should be key and a bit of theme/rp at least in PvE. Dailies/Skirmish/Campaigns are all to test a deck; if not to just grind for your rune collection, which I understand not everyone plays their bg in PvE. Poxnora is just as much a sandbox as it is a ranked proving ground though.

Also what is your opinion on League adding ARAM? How is this anything different than what I am suggesting.

Do you see a relation between Font Capturing and King of the Hill? I'm just curious how adding game modes could be considered an entirely new game.

ARK: Survival of the Fittest was a mod and now it is a DLC for ARK Evolved

Adding a few extra game modes like KotH is completely different than making Pox a TD which I would consider a Pox2.0 if there were to be one.

What are mini games to you?

If there were a Pox2.0 that's up to you to define, but make it the ideal Poxnora you would want, then pick and pull the mechanics that make that game. In my mind KotH is not far off from a global Change of Plans; which very well could be a campaign. Adding game modes is not a Pox2.0 for me; Changing the perspective and gameplay to Olympus Rising is Pox2.0 for me...that is a unique game.

What do you think of Global effects?

Avatars at lvl 100 can't get preordained/predeployed runes?

There are a lot of games that make the distinction players are Summoners; The different skills in YuGiOh Duel Links would be the same as a 3rd upgrade line for Heroes.

Mastery Points for your summoner like Contest of Champions. Games inside of games; or it's just idle button tapping the is necessary to min max...I understand that too.

Having game modes that require you to play a Hero; if each race were to get a Hero or a Grey Hero rune with a rotating ability set. If rotations are bad we can at least create rotations based on the different Hero Eras generated by rotating abilities out. Octopi, SOE, DOGz

Releasing runes with old abilities? Quagmirrian with Nexus Aura; Grintmaw Shaman with Dampen. Diplos with Annex.

An Extra deck to expand upon our 30 runes

Plainswalkers in Magic are not so different than Heroes/Aspects/Titans...however there is no game mode to make that distinction we have the Lore. If these Figures could be represented as larger than life and more impactful than simple 1x1 or 2x2 units, not saying change their size but reign/presence should play a role by means of global effects/Summoner perks. Not every format has to allow for a third upgrade line. Similar to how Split Heroes can't be placed in FF, these new alternate runes can't be placed in the standard ranked bg.

We don't have a Tutorial Troll that gives us dialogue so there is no other distinction between players and runes. There is no Chao Garden to rest our feet or Metal Chao to harass.

The lvl of a Player/Shrine can mean more than the simple interactions we have with them now. Poxnora is more than a collectible game and the match types we have are still stagnant; adding new abilities is a micro-game-mode. There are games, bugs and all, who are complete and that is what the players get; rebalancing is a blessing of the technology we have so again...abilities are micro-mini-games; global effects are global mini-games(constraints/challenges/hurdles/obstacles/falling sky...what have you)

Would adding ranked campaign events be a new game? Or will we only ever get Holiday theme Nora globes besides expansions to look forward to.

Fast forward 3 years; would it not make sense to have modding capabilities for the players to make Campaigns? That isn't even a Pox2.0 that is just a Steam Workshop game. We can already adjust a few mechanics in casual games; expanding upon that is not a new game, let's just all agree on that.

17. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

as you have rigthtly noted sok, these ccg/tcg are not doing well, players dont want to invest this much money into a game, that was a bygone era when that was a thing, now its all f2p and ppl wont put up with that. the future will be paying players to play games.

also these games are too niche and just have low appeal. if you bring out pox 2 with the same kind of monetary model for cards it will fail.

18. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

pox 2 would kill pox 1 not save it.

no doubt pox 2 wouldnt retain the current playerbase because players cards/investment would not be retained, too niche market, no one these days will want to invest. pox 2 will die.

19. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Reduce the cost of medal of valor next patch . The changes look great tbh, but it shouldn't cost as much now. The +1 speed is strong, as will be the effect. Start with -5 Nora is my suggestion. It will still see play on long ranged units, since they aren't possible to hit and make great support. Its got to require more setup now, and it might hurt the core IS too much if it can't be fielded in time due to overcost

20. aseryen

You should define how you play Poxnora. You may play the game differently than I do.