The old skill > new guys debate.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BurnPyro, Feb 12, 2015.

1. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I'm sorry, you must have missed the part where nobody thought this was a big deal.

scrampy, Flyingfinn and Pedeguerra like this.
  2. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Not a big deal that it so easy to destroy people with kf with little experience and no avatar? Also not a big deal that an average limited player can get top 10 with kf with little effort? Sounds like the faction is a little strong to me but I guess not.

3. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

It is, but not for the reasons you are pointing out, I guess thats the thing people are trying to tell you.
    Dont bring out the "noobs are winning with it so it must be good" argument, say: "with the general toning down of SPD in the game, combined with the changes to Arctic and IS font bonus, the KF bonus has become so prevalent and strong that the faction itsel is out of balance post revamp".
    Easier to get the message across.

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Top 10 means something?

Going 3-1 against limited leagues means something?
    Not having a powerful transfigured avatar in todays meta means something?

You are incapable of proving your point by these poor statistics, because you have no clue about statistics to begin with.

Kids these days.

5. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

you can say top 10 is meaningless if you want but that doesn't change the fact that it is the top 10 ranked players out of the current player pool.

Yes having the ability to transfigure 3 turns earlier and having 30more hp is kinda important considering how easy it is to kill a shrine form spirit altar in less than 10 turns. KF avatar also has the best transfigure ability in the game in my opinion and can win games.

Your third sentence doesn't make any sense.

You talk down to people like you are better than them or trying to act older than you actually are. That's something little kids do. You are probably younger than 18, I am 22 dude I am not a kid.

If some bg's weren't so powerful like kf's meta for example, maybe the top 10 would have more meaning. Maybe people would actually have to outplay their opponents on a regular basis to maintain their rankings instead of spamming the most op runes to win the games like what's being done currently.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  6. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Ive played 5 unranked games in 6 months. I doubt it.

The last 3 times I played against moga was with fs, ud, and fw in that order.

7. cantha

cantha The King of Potatoes

Don't think it's possible to compare the skill of old/new players simply because pox changed a lot durning all those years.

Back in the days we used to have much fewer runes to toy around with. Yea sure, there were always 'crème de la crème' players who rarely lost no matter what they played. Most of them were famed for playing specific bg or faction though. I'll never forget kthx and his sacred temple/tad font rushing bg, or how molecl started using varu howlers, how lepakko used to turn a certain loss into one turn KO, or playing vs really old school Festering Wounds attrition vs Dezhem or Strings (or annoying skele bg before that). They surely had the skills, but it was mostly their playstyle and impact on the whole game that got them so recognized in the first place. Everybody seems to remember Hashinshin fondly, he was a good player, but truth be told he was just a SP zealot that made rediculous posts on the forums.

It's hard for me to judge if newer players could compete with the old guard. It seems like nowdays, even though there's so much more runes in pox, the individual players creativity is somehow crippled (for one reason or the other).
    I'm quite sure that someone is gonna pick up the torch and become a new legend sooner or later, that's how things were always working around here.

8. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- It is quite fashionable so I guess its my turn to say ..

"No one good is playing is why Im not Battlemastah...cuz if I was it wouldn't mean anything anyway cuz they all baddies...but Im not bad cuz Im good....and Im good not cuz I have rank..but because I don't have a rank...cuz Im good. got it?"

9. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Speak of old players and they shall appear!

cantha likes this.
  10. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

not your rank, it's who you win against. Devils is around so just see who beats him these days if you wanna know

11. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

and draw wins don't count :)

SPiEkY likes this.
  12. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

There are plenty of creative and somewhat original bgs being played, just not in limited because meta bgs destroy everything else. Rune power> skill at the moment. I stopped making random bgs recently because of this, now I just play meta for the most part.

13. heroex7777

heroex7777 Lord of ST

wat? kf doesnt count? :)

14. redChapel

redChapel The King of Potatoes

Watching molecl and Revenancer got me into playing SL. xConboyx is also another player that disappeared, he'd only run the most expensive units and would always seem to pull out a win. Good times.

15. cantha

cantha The King of Potatoes

I think you missed the meritum. I wasnt talking about funky, weird, 'creative' battlegroups you build to satisfy your fantasy craves. I was talking about finding out something that works so well together that you create a whole new level of gameplay. Back then we didn't have themes, so every bg was - as you call it - 'meta'. The only bgs that resembled themes back then were mogas (which clever people turned into necromoga) and later on skeezicks. We kind of had to rely purely on rune-to-rune interaction, finding those interactions was half the fun. Nowdays it's quite hard to find hidden synergy since everything is quite obvious from the get go, what you see is what you get, you automatically place a rune as belonging to specific set of runes in a faction/theme. Sadly it is like that with most newly released runes. You probably still can find something new (like crown of petals on nymph in a elf bg) but it just doesn't have the same impact as it used to.

16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

You don't seem to get it through your thick skull that top 10 =/= 10 strongest players in the ranked pool.

And it's easy to talk down to you since you are extremely ignorant on finesse in this game and don't have a chance to beat me.

Crying that KF is OP is easy. Getting good is hard.

17. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I'm top 10 therefore I am the bestalltime.

#BowDowPeasants

18. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

I am assuming top 10 = top 10 current winrates. Being better than members of the top 10 doesn't help you much if their runes are stronger because rune power>skill right now.

I beat you the first time I ever played you before I even had any legend runes wtf? Tinydragon and Devilsrath are the best players playing right now in my eyes and I still have a chance to beat them when I play them, idk what you're talking about.

So your saying kf is fine? and that the kf players ranked higher than you are just better than you? and you are trying to get good? Oh ok.

19. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

I have seen you play, your garbage.

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

Garbage in comparison to tiny or devilsrath? Sure. Not compared to anyone else besides them currently playing unless you know some players I don't know about.