UD has gone downhill

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Theoutcast, May 12, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The problem is when you have 8 SPD in KF and 65 Hp champs in ST all over the place, it creates balance issues.

The fact is tho that with the faction bonuses, it averages out that the factions with the bonuses usually have more of that stat while paying less for that stat.

I personally don't go out of my way to make UD or KF have less DMG or SPD, I just take into account the final build of the champ when I am looking at things rather than focusing on whether or not it has more of X or Y than some other faction.

2. Sokolov

What was nerfed about him? I didn't nerf him.

3. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

Aren't you supposed to be the one with the answers? :p

4. Sokolov

Anyway, every faction seems to think I am screwing them over specifically. Maybe I should just powercreep everything by 20% or so every expansion :D

5. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

I agree that UD should not have any plant trees. These guys are totally a KF and maybe a FW theme supported group with blood crest as a theme tie in. This coming from a ST player who does not play UD. I do like the game and to see plants that are vulnerable to fire is kind of silly. UD did not really get anything useful this time around. It goes along the lines of a ST twisted frost vine, why a plant? I believe they are not talking about being screwed over in power, it is UD is off path and the plants are an example of being off path.

6. Braxzee

Braxzee I need me some PIE!

Gobo King is very awesome, I see patient UD players getting him to become a pretty spectacular champ. He is a champ that forces the opponent to change their strategy.

7. Sokolov

upload_2016-5-17_13-35-4.png

So I just did this.

These are the FF stats of the champs from this expansion.

ST has the most HP, UD has the most damage, KF has the most SPD...

Of course, I am missing 4 factions, but I don't expect this to be much different if I did those too.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    H3II likes this.
  8. Sokolov

As for the split runes, that's how it always is with Split Runes, remember when Maljaran came out some people didn't like what was in there. The fact is that it doesn't matter what happens some groups of players will complain. We had many expansions of demons/minos/beasts and this is just ONE expansion in which we departed and gave UD some vampyre chicks to introduce some variety.

It's one of those interesting things where designing for Pox has this problem of where one basically can't do anything right - there's always something to complain about:
    • Release something familiar or in flavor - "We don't need that." / "Why is everything the same?"
    • Release something new and different - "It doesn't fit." / "Why are you making the game more complicated?"
    • Nerf a rune slightly - "You call that a nerf?"
    • Nerf a rune a bit more - "You demolish the theme, it's unplayable now."
    • Listen to player feedback - "You shouldn't listen to players, they don't know what they are talking about."
    • Don't listen to player feedback - "You should listen to players more, you don't know what you are doing."
    That's not to say the feedback isn't valid, and it sounds like people in UD just want more high damage demon/mutant types, so I'll try and get more of that into future expansions (tho 29 is already in the pipeline, 30, of course, is the player created expansion, so we'll see how that is received), and of course, there's been plenty of that stuff too in recent expansions:
    • Demonic Sandclaw
    • Slitherine
    • Blood Abhorrent
    • Minotaur Thunderaxe/Mageknight/Render
    • Red-tipped Raptor
    • Bloodgoyle
    • Sheoul Monstrosity
    • Heretic Overlord
    • Vothsair Vanguard
    Incidentally, if you can tell me what your favorite runes are in terms of flavor/design, that'll also help :)

defypain, Gnomes, prymusedek and 3 others like this.
  9. potatonuts

Honestly i was actually thinking the other day that the game has improved a great deal overall, the fact that meta isn't completely dominating everything anymore shows how much more balance and variety has returned to the game.

I think a lot of the negativity comes from players developing exaggerated opinions of how strong new things are simply because they are new, some guy was asking for all summons to get a global HP reduction a single day after the release because of the Rotwrapper. Zombies have been the same for a while and have actually gotten marginally weaker over time yet that one new rune apparently caused some people to cry. I'm sure you remember a while ago Archmage was being bombarded with cries for nerfs yet it's actually been buffed slightly since then and I havn't heard anything about it in a while now.

I guess you just have to put up with the initial knee jerk response people give out when they lose to something new. I'd also wager that a good half of it is people looking for an excuse for their lost games.

All that said i felt this discussion does have some merit and a constructive direction. The fact that UD, the usually most popular Wrath faction are now the least played seems pretty significant to me.

10. potatonuts

I think we all want Vothsair to be a theme

super71 and MEATMAN like this.
  11. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

still waiting for a baby vothsair or a vothsair mage

12. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

Agree with these points

13. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Hmmm, did the rune not state that it got one of the upgrade abilities of the next 3 champs when it was first launched? Or has it always been worded the way it is?
    I just had a conversation with another player about this rune and we both thought it was different now than when it was launched. The difference being that is it got upgrade abilities it was a tad easier to get lucky to give him a good one. With it being non-basic attack abilities it makes it harder to try and give him something "good."
    If it hasn't changed then I stand corrected.

super71 likes this.
  14. Sokolov

I am pretty sure that was just a text error and it was always working the way it is currently worded - because it is supposed to work the same as Goblin Thievery.

15. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

K :cool:

16. H3II

H3II The King of Potatoes

Well that'd be amazing .. but if they remained to be faithless and with such high nora cost, i think that wont be a viable theme at all. Faithless is such a pain btw when you want to equip your champ that it harassing a font or use a spell there. Basically faithless champs are non-solo imo. And if we're discussing Vothsair, lets discuss the Vothsair Vanguard who turned to 100% shoebox rune after the nerf of Vanguard. That hurt the arrow eater theme in general. Nevertheless, Arrow eaters is one of the strongest UD themes i played.

I also think that before we consider the Vothsair theme we can definitely look into the Hekatin / Bok theme given the variety and amount of runes we have to support any synergy proposed for such a theme.

17. potatonuts

That guy WAS the Arrow Eater theme, the reason he got changed was because there weren't enough champions with Arrow Eater or Elusive to justify his Vanguard ability. The theme didn't exist without him so I that change to his ability hardly hurt the theme.

18. Sokolov

The Vanguard ability is now cheaper and easier to proc, rather than forcing you to run a full "theme" of Arrow Eaters (which isn't very useful), so the rune is actually useful.

Vothsairs COULD be a theme, but it's not going to be very good if "Arrow Eater" is their primary point of synergy.

19. H3II

H3II The King of Potatoes

so you guys think that Reg 2 and +1 Spd is comparable to +4 DMG, +2 Spd and +1 Def ? given that for almost the same cost i can get the Ireguard out ... I agree its much easier to proc but the proc is not that powerful. That's my own opinion though and i still agree that he's strong (i still run him) but the cost is a bit painful lol

20. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

does it say something about me when the only bg I was good at was my "Firk range" bg then?