Ugh...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Whats the problem?

3. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

Yeah, that seems to be pretty true.

4. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm atheist, my wife is Methodist. I go to church with her to help with our kids because they're too difficult to handle alone. On Sunday, the church announced that they are going through a change to try to keep "current". Basically they want to continue attracting members. I suspect they'll be successful, but not in the way they believe.

They believe that their change will reduce the number of people that are raised with religion that become atheist or agnostic later in life. While they may be mildly successful in this, I suspect they will instead succeed in drawing members away from other churches that are more traditional.

5. doubtofbuddha

What change?

6. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

My view on religion and churches was summed up by my dad a few years ago.

He was talking to the vicar/priest (I don't know the titles) about God. After a long talk, he replied "That sounds amazing. If only it was true."

I would truly love to believe, but I just can't. So if you are religious, good for you.

IMAGIRL and DarkJello like this.
  7. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Knowledge and intelligence and wisdom and such are tops. But people that are too impressed with their own accomplishments are walking on thin ice. So education is fantastic, while "education"' is not. I personally prefer that church signs only contain a positive message. The sign is kinda wonky/curious.

SPiEkY likes this.
  8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

They didn't give details. I think it will be updated music, treats, and whatever else they think of to attract youth.

9. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

10. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

What were you doing in such a shady part of town? Do you live in the boonies or something?

11. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

As a non religious person I agree with jello here, the fact that "education" is placed in inverted commas leaves room to understand that the priest isn't talking about education in general but about something that he dislikes in the education system. What that may be, I don't know, and I guess I wouldn't agree, but at least I would try to listen.

DarkJello likes this.
  12. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Word, my Brother.
    The simple explanation of what the sign means is this:
    By "education" they mean breakthroughs in technology and people becoming more reliant on themselves than God. For instance, Doctors have done some amazing things with medicine. People's life spans are up and they have cures for a lot of things. Many people ONLY credit this to science and man, leaving God, the creator of man and his intelligence, out of the equation. Therefore, the more technological man gets, the "older and more worn out" the thought God becomes. Many people already think that there is no way a "primitive" old book containing interesting stories could be true, especially in our day and age with all the unreal technology and fast paced lives we have. Unfortunately, that is a twisted, polluted, and marred way of thinking. Please remember, regardless if you are atheist, Christian, Muslim, or whatever else, you can't explain this world's creation without God, regardless if you've ever put that much thought into it or not. Science horrifically, pitifully, and epicly fails to explain this world's origin DESPITE its incredible scientific knowledge and inventions.

13. Bondman007

That's an interesting religion you have there. I would love to talk with you anytime about why you just can't believe there is a God. Send me a message anytime!

14. doubtofbuddha

Unsubscribing from this thread. Good luck to you all.

JellyBerry likes this.
  15. Bondman007

Mainly talking about how the more man gets "educated" the more he sees no reason to believe in God. He becomes self reliant and has no use for a divine being. Again, the problem with mankind in general is that we get "educated beyond our intelligence." We begin leaving our brains at the door and leave thinking behind. I dare challenge ANYONE out there to convince me there is no God by the simple existence of this world. you and me. Haven't met one yet that could.

Furthermore, the main reason many people simply choose not to believe in our Almighty God is because then they have to admit there is something greater than them out there and that they must now eat their pride. However, when one does do this and understand that God loves each of us so much that He gave His very life for us, it is completely gratifying, fulfilling, and amazing to know we are loved that much. Without that though, what hope do you have? In a doctor? Scientist? Teacher? Good luck with that...

16. DarkJello

The scientific method is wonderful and super and uber and great. Objective measurements are the best way to measure the world, and improve/learn/grow. Faith and/or God and/or spirituality is somewhere between extremely difficult or impossible to measure. So the scientific method, for all its benefits, cannot always help with answering the question of life the universe and everything. "42" is still probably the best answer to some questions.

I long for a day when humannity routinely travels the stars, because that will be so wicked awesome radical! But our weaknesses as a species, IMO, will NEVER disappear. I do believe we will eventually get to a place of MUCH less foolishness and willful ignorance. (Eventually). That day is beyond the horizon, but attainable. Technology is a two-edged sword, just like fire or guns or medicine or... To quote a "dark" hero: It's not who we are underneath, but what we do that defines us. So I see religion as an important dam against ubiquitous vices. Religion has been misused a TON too. Nothing is guaranteed. Personally, I find it very beneficial in my life. If nothing else, it keeps me busy doing neutral and/or good activities and that leaves me less time to fudge up. God is good, usually.

Hopefully that made sense. Questions welcome. Have a good one guys.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  17. DarkJello

You too man. I shared some of my thoughts too. This thread has me thinking about the movie Contact, with Jodie Foster. Love that flick.

18. Heart

Heart I need me some PIE!

Be happy.

If you can find happiness in god, so be it.
    If you can find happiness elsewhere, so be it.

Just remember, never NEVER let your happiness, get in the way of another's.

19. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I wasn't talking about that, people that need a god to understand why thing happens will obviously lose faith as science finds more and more answers, gods explaining physic ocurrences is the crudest form of religion. But, some need a god to provide a moral standard (what's good and what's bad) that they cannot find elsewhere, and the set of values of the church (or whatever) fits them and makes them happy, and I don't see nothing bad in it and I think that sistematic discouraging of religious values is something that's bad and can make people upset. If there is something in the education system that is unfairly biased against the moral values that many people follow, I can understand why the complain of this priest. If the problem is just how the advancement of the science makes people less reliant on magic explanations to things, then I have nothing else to disscuss.

20. DarkJello

I concur with your pithy wisdom. Well said.