Video Games

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by IMAGIRL, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

I paid 60 on release. I've spent money in worst places. Game wasn't anything extraordinary but isn't straight up garbage either. Yeah you get overpowered way too quickly but I went through the whole thing in ~25/30 hours (ignoring like 80% of the sidequests past the midway point because seriously there's way too many of them) and enjoyed most of it.

I'd say the game, being flawed as it is, suffered more from 38 Studios going under shortly after release than being a poor product. If you see it super cheap on Steam or got it for free on PS+ ages ago, give it a shot.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah, it's not like it was hot trash or anything, I certainly had a good time with it. The combat felt darn great, I just wish it was in a package that actually rewarded that.

The whole going under deal did hurt the game, although I think it had a couple standard RPG problems with over-wrought and vacuous story. They got R.A. Salvatore to do a bunch of the story and world, and while he makes a durn good living putting out high-fantasy paperbacks, that stuff becomes a huge bog when turned into game form. The Fae people were cool as hell though -- reliving old stories as a way of life was unique and incredibly fresh.

Compared to a lot of other things on which you could spend money -- and with which you could take time -- it feels like a short sell.

3. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

FFVIA, (Final Fantasy 6 Advanced, My favorite FF game so far, I think I may like 13, but we will see.)

Leadrz likes this.
  4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I actually really like KOA:R, the main problem I had was scaling. We got out of hand pretty fast (~lvl 20), and once you got used to their attack patterns the game became a breeze. I really do wish that each area had its own scaling perimeters, and that they attacked differently based upon the area. (Wolves in the plains attacked differently, then wolves in the forests or desert regions.) Aside from that It was a pretty good game, smoother combat then most games I've played, and a gorgeous scenery that didn't take you out of the game. I mean I've played games that had some scenery that gave you a 'why is this here' moment, that just took your mind out of the game, KOA:R's does what it sis supposed to do. Fill you with wonder and engross you in the game.

38 Studios was founded by a baseball player, and funded by the state of Rhode Island. When the state was unhappy with returns, it used its ownership rights and closed shop, selling everything off to make ends-meat. It sill irks me that they funded this game so much that it needed 3 million copies to break even IIRC after a year they had like 1.2-1.4 million sold. It was what. 50-60 USD upon release. At 60 USD, they needed 180,000,000 (180 Mil) to break even.

They way they went about it still peeves me. I understand that when you invest in something you expect returns, but they company already had shown that they can make beautiful games, and at least 1 Mil players would buy, and that was their Breakout Game. Not many companies can say that. Aside from investments not being a guaranteed thing. They had one goal, money. (We didn't even break even, Firk this game, Firk this company, we're done....) I can't just go to Wall Street on a failed investment, and shut down the company whos stocks wrecked me. Not how it works. If they had a contract, that is one thing. But this company without a doubt showed promise, even with the flaws. Had they penalized the company instead of a complete takeover, and shutdown. I believe I can say with a shadow of a doubt that the company had a bright future ahead.

Leadrz likes this.
  5. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Hearthstone (TCG)
    Age of Wonders 3 (fantasy 4x)
    Talisman (w expansions) board game online

Im bouncing between these 3 atm. and keeping my eye open for updates to Darkest Dungeon

6. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

I have been on the verge about Age of Wonders 3 for a loooong time now. Can anyone tell me its strong points, things missing/annoying, compare it with CIV 5 etc?

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Fez was another fun platform game.

8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Better than Civ V in most points really. Aside of the epoch thing because AoW doesn't do that sadly.

It kind of lost a bit of the charme of AoW 2 sadly ... but purely by mechanic it is a better game by far.

9. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

If you like good art, good storyline, and amazing music.

I recommend Ori and the blind forest :)

10. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I'll check it out.

Leadrz likes this.
  11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

It looks great, I'll add it to my wishlist. It seems to me that you would like Never Alone, and Dust, An Elysian Tail.

Leadrz likes this.
  12. Scarebear

Scarebear Devotee of the Blood Owl

I am a sucker for sand box survival games. Four worthy of note.

- 7 days to die - Hands down the best zombie apocylypse survival game out there. Think minecraft and dayz epoch had a baby. Still in beta but the content patches are frequent (once every 1-2 months). Has build physics so if you don't build realistically your whole base collapses. Mini-bikes are coming in the next patch which is a real game changer.
    - Dont Starve/ Dont Starve Together - Stupidly easy to play and quite comical. Has a sanity stat and if you let it drop too low you start seeing s**t that isn't there which is a good reason to let your sanity drop low. Not a good survival strat.
    - Kenshi - Indie game. The first seven years of development was done by a lone man. After a successful kickstarter and getting greenlit the developer was able to hire some additional souls (2 others ha). What he was able to do by himself in those 7 years is amazing. The theme is samurai in a desert wasteland. It has base building and CANNIBALS. It is buggy as hell and the patches are in-frequent but still worthy of the ticket price.

*special mention*
    - Dwarf Fortress - Said to be the hardest and most difficult learning curve of any game ever made. Definately the most complex game ever made.With the amount of nerds pox attracts there are sure to be a few DF players kicking around. A game of where death = FUN. And you will die. Doom is always around the corner in DF. Vanilla DF is ASCII graphics which I simply cannot look at for hours on end. There are graphics replacers to make it look nicer which i recommend. It is also FREE.
    When a dwarf dies in DF his friends can be so sad that they can throw a tantrum possibly inflicting harm on their fellow dwarves. If the tantruming dwarf kills another dwarf the deceased dwarf's friends can also tantrum. Called a tantrum spiral it can quickly wipe out your population.
    Cats are a strange pet in DF. Necessary to keep vermin out of your larder but they have this one nuance. Other animals in the game can be adopted by a lonely dwarf but not cats. They are the ones that adopt dwarves. Left unchecked cats can breed and snowball (a cat that belongs to a dwarf can not be butchered for meat) resulting in a cat-splosion. It will ruin your game due to the fps drop. What? ASCII graphics game can drop my fps? Yeah there is a LOT going on.
    To list the features or even scratch the surface of the weird s**t that can happen would take volumes so I'll leave it at that.

13. Scarebear

Also @kalasle I was once a purple c4 fairy long long ago. Haven't played ps2 in over a year. I play heroes and generals for my combined arms fix nowadays.

14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah man, good times. I started out doing a lot of LA stuff, wanting to be an Infil; ended up playing a ton of HA (by the time I stopped playing I had Auraxium medals on almost every Heavy weapon). Flying was splendid, one of those things people thought was hard and so spawned its own little community. Air duels, in-depth YT videos, recognizing the names of most folks you kill -- very different feel from the rest of public PS2. What server you play on?

15. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

You should try UnReal World if you haven't already, sounds right up your alley. I consider it the grandfather of the genre. I mean, it's a 23 years old game still being worked on.

16. Boozha

I did play Dwarf Fortress for a bit. It will eat your soul, and your mind, and your body.

Makes you feel incredibly 1337 though.

17. Scarebear

Cant remember the server names. Started off on the oceanic server. When the population dropped there I moved to a U.S server. I think it was Miller. Damn ping made it a bit harder to kill fools so I quit soon after those boosts were introduced. I was an average pilot and not eligible for the 'kool kids club'. I would pretty much play anything else as the battle warranted though. I would only jump on HA if there was a lasher farm from high ground :D.

Weird that I have never heard of this. My gaming life goes back to the 386 and my first console was an atari 2600. I will check it out.

You may become a soul-less husk but the most important thing is FUN.

18. Ragic

never played Civ

when you zoom out the map it goes from your typical hexgrid map to a hand drawn Tolkien style map that you can still see units move on. very cool. need more? of the 4x games ive played aow3 has the best tactical combat. some fights can get poxnoraish in their unit interactions. its a bit lacking in the diplomacy aspect but the framework is there. youre main hero has a race and class and 3 magic/empire specializations. there are plenty of viable and unique combinations to play.

on a strategic level you don't get the sense of developing battle fronts as you would in say Warlock. That's probably due to the use of stacks. you have to get proficient at scouting or the game can feel like cat and mouse (movement is usually larger than sight range). ive played both defensively and offensively with good results on Lord difficulty. King and higher it feels like you have to be aggressive and lucky. But you can tweak everything in the random scenario generator to get the game flow youre looking for.

19. Boozha

Trying Tigran Necromancer against three lords currently. Well, formerly three lords, now there's only one goblin rogue left, and damn those Shadow Elementals are OP. Disease? Immune! Frost? Resistant! Physical? Resistant! Darkness? Immune! And why not add projectile protection! And going through walls! And being an Elemental so firk-all effects work on it! And 14 resistance so even banish doesn't work! And shadowstep! And ONE HUNDRED HP!

Slowly figuring out how to smother them in magic bolts by mystics and sun disks by sphinges.

Oh, and I had to save-scum a bit, too, but I don't even feel bad.

20. Ragic

orc warlord expansionist shadowborn mastery