We Have Some Work To Do

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keishan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. keishan

keishan Well-Known Member

I guess I like this game a lot, because I've been around since I found this game at Gen Con, I think 2008.
    That being said I'm just a little shy of having 2 or every rune in the game. I tell you this because I want everyone to know that I want everyone playing now or in the future to have the same potential rune pool I do.
    I don't want to have an advantage. I want this game to grow again and maintain a steady flow of new players who will become part of our community.
    I think there's a few things that can be done that will help the success of Pox
    1) Marketing & Sales
    Stop selling packs of runes: people do not like to gamble when it comes to gaming. They want what they want and that's it. Ne sets should be sold by faction for a set price for 2 of each rune of that faction. Do the same for existing sets. I can't stress enough how many people walk away from a game as soon as they hear the word "pack" or "collectible"

2) Recruitment. & Growth
    Many game company's today, have learned the value of having loyal players working for the the company in a recruitment and group / tournament organizing role.
    Obviously this game is different from other table top miniature games in that its online and does not require physical space to play it. However having "staff" in the training grounds and having them coach new players through their first games, will lead to much more retention because the new user will not feel as overwhelmed, because hes being taught the game by someone who cares and therefore avoids the school of hard knocks. These same players I believe would also be invaluable on college campuses spreading the game to their peers.
    Player promoters are typically compensated with product so the investment is minimal.

3) Community & Culture
    We must build a player base that doesn't just want to win at all costs. If your playing a game, greetings should be exchanged at the start, and if 1 player is new and the other experienced, The experienced player should do his best to explain things as much as possible.

Mdude186 and Morfeas like this.
  2. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

In reference to your second point I've found that guilds form a good culture for that a lot of the time.

3. Mdude186

Mdude186 Member

I would love to see this game take a 'living card game' route, considering how many runes there are in the game it does make sense. Your goals seem noble, and as a newer/returning player I can say that I have never even considered going near PvP. I simply make fun BG's and play against the AI mostly. Still fun, but it'd be great to not go against Angles/Dooms/LEG runes galore as soon as you step foot in PvP. I have also heard older players speaking about 'farming' newer players. I think this type of attitude is super toxic to the game and new player retention.

RedScarlet and super71 like this.
  4. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Or you could just give away your runes to other players. That'll balance things out nicely. ;)

5. Spiderchap

Spiderchap Well-Known Member

...I like the random packs.

RedScarlet likes this.
  6. Chemical22

Chemical22 I need me some PIE!

I like the random packs too.

I've never spoken up about this, but I've never understood the need by players to be on an even playing field.

That actually RUINS it for me. I like the idea to be able to grow, improve and expand my collection. The fun of this game for me is collecting, growing and working with the resources I have.

If I was given every rune, I'd be bored within a month. Does anyone else feel this way?

7. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

There is that trade off of the entry barrier. I said it in another post but most people do not have an issue with the "grind" in and of itself, they like the feeling of working hard and investing into something and then seeing the fruits of the labor. This also then binds them into the game because they are invested.

Just like in a relationship, if you just give everything away very quickly, you may be quickly dropped as well, if it didn't cost you anything to get it, there is nothing stopping you from getting out.

Now of course there should be a balance and there should be ways to hook players in to start them getting invested into the game, not only that, but with the over 2000 runes we currently have, it would in general just be overwhelming.

Zenity likes this.
  8. keishan

keishan Well-Known Member

Im not suggesting players be given runes. Im suggesting runes be sold by expansion.
    Im warmachine / warhammer you buy specific troops for your army, not random packs. People having access or the ability to acquire the runes you want or need does not impact game play or overall challenge of the game

9. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

same. i like the trading/collectible model and enjoy gambling on packs.