We need TV ads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zero, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Zero

Zero Active Member

I'm curious to know if 200 average online is enough to sustain the game for at least short-term. I'm not sure how many is enough at minimum to sustain the game.

2. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Then they cannot answer. To answer that question is to make a promise, and then people get upset because they didn't quite follow through, and then they lose players, and everything goes downhill. You have to understand, as a company, there are things that it is simply not smart to do, regardless of how much it would appease us as a community. Giving dates is something that no gaming comany does readily.

Take Riot Games for example. When they are forced to go back on a promised release date, they give all of their players free boosts and RP because if they don't, they straight up lose players. A 1 day delay can make people hate them. I have seen death threats because of delayed updates. It is not pretty.

Players are entitled, selfish, strict, ruthless and mean. DoGs is playing the smart game in not responding to people who demand answers from them because honestly, it's not safe to, and they don't really owe us any.

Senshu and mortal ix like this.
  3. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Yes, rather answer all questions ominously and vaguely. What do players need information for?

Or rather, which players, if this bullshit goes on? I am not playing much and less by every day DOG does nothing visible at all.

4. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I was looking forward to a good read given the length of your post, but then you had to go and say something like this. I choose to assume the patronizing tone was unintended, but please remove your foot from your mouth

BurnPyro and Boozha like this.
  5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Experience in alienating has community.

6. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

So basically, you were trolling. Noted.

7. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I've just lost a considerable amount of respect for you. Apparently I was "baited" by what I now understand to be an intentionally underhanded comment. Considering that I do have experience in this industry across multiple specialties, I'm wondering if perhaps you need to pull the other foot from your mouth, now.

But hey, what do I know? I couldn't possibly comprehend what it means to be respectful of others through objective neutrality. Please excuse my obvious lack of experience. . .

BurnPyro likes this.
  8. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Then why haven't you made a "we are currently here" map of Pox state? sokolov had one.

Do i really have to make it for you? if i do you better make it a sticky thread

Boozha likes this.
  9. AmmonReros

AmmonReros I need me some PIE!

@Zero : Just because you named Clash of Clans as a game that made TV ads and because I have been a part of Supercell:
    They got sponsored with some money to become big, and they did, so big in fact that they kicked Sony Online Entertainment from #1 spot on world wide ranking concerning money making with flashgames. They earned MILLIONS the first few months after that but also spent millions over the year to expand their business.
    I know they started CoC with only a small team of like 6, quickly making it a dozen and I think now 40ish people in the project and of course more around the world that advertise the product even more in the various countries. Desert Owl Games just cant do that though. Especially as comparing the two games is not something you can do as CoC was made for the mobile market. And it just tore that down. Pox works on another already established gaming system and wont get teh support that Supercell had for their plans with filling the gap in the tablet market.

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Who knew that Senshu actually had a spine.

One held up by a title and misplaced confidence. But still, surprising.

11. Boozha

If thats a spine I don't want one

12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Oh boozhy two shoes

13. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Can you really call him on all this blame and disrespect? Look at this community.

"Nerf X, the mods don't listen."
    "Buff Y, the mods are idiots."
    "This is a stupid idea and it's killing the game"
    "I pretend to know about how much money DoGs is making, and feel entitled to correct them on their business plan"
    "Troll post troll post troll post"
    "You tell us nothing, fix the game."
    "We know the problems, just fix it in like 5 minutes."
    "Tell me the answer I want to hear, not the one that's honest."
    "Clearly you're lazy because we don't know exactly what you're doing internally."
    "I don't understand the issue, but I know that I have the answers."

This community is FILLED with trolls. When a mod trolls someone once after months of provoking, then yeah, I don't condone it, but I can understand it. But when a community member trolls somebody else, do you lose all respect for them? No, you respect them all the more. You make threads praising them. You hold their opinions on high. And half of these people haven't even played the game in months. When someone, who is an actual employee of this company, who's job it is to work on this game, tells you an answer you dislike? All hell breaks loose.

We all love this game, and we all want it to do well, but the hard truth of the matter is that you are entitled to nothing, regardless of the amount of money you've spent, the amount of time you've put in, the support you've given, none of it matters.

Patience is hard. I get it, I really do, but it's a long road, and the progress is slow, and we can't see the ending, not even the Greens can. If you can't deal with that, then please take your anger somewhere else. I am so sorry for the pain and frustration you've all been feeling, but complaining gets us nowhere. Try to understand that the developers are not peers of yours. They do not have to listen to the community at all, but they choose to, and we should be grateful for that.

Everyone is doing their best.

Gaedel and Korahn2610 like this.
  14. Boozha

Yes, if they do not want a community they do not have to listen to it. If they do want a community they do have to listen to it. Stop being so servile.

15. Dolphinllc

Dolphinllc Member

A caveat - my background is in business, community design on small mmorpgs and freeware not profitable gaming.

As much as I have spoke out about how I view the attitude of the Greens, and I may question them from time to time - I do not doubt that they have planned several year down the road. Generally, whenever one starts a new business venture, you generally don't plan on being solvent within the first few years - that's part of the business plan. Trust me, you don't buy a game the size of Pox without having a business plan. The banks won't give you a loan without it.

When I read the post of Senshu's I didn't freak out - it totally makes sense that since we are not part of Desert Owl Games that there is no way we can comprehend their plan aside from wild conjecture based on what limited knowledge we have. Do I think transparency would go a long way towards community morale? Yes, but again - thats their plan. I personally think in a venture such as this that the players should be treated more as Stock Holders, with future expansions being the dividends and their investing their money into the company being buying packs. But again - its not my plan to make.

Was it an ad that brought me to PN? Yes, I think it was on mudconnector.com or ign.com or something like that - just a static banner off to the side no fancy flash or anything advertising a turn based strategy game.

16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

There is a difference between "trolling" and "talking down to the community and pretending your idiocy was a bait". Especially when you're a new guy on the block.

There's also this thing about double standards, authority figures and crime vs time. Food for thought.

17. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the problem you run into there, boozy darling, is that you cannot listen to this community.

try. right now.

what do you get? maybe (hopefully) it's different from what i get, because i get a bunch of people screaming NERF BUFF BUGFIX DON'TFIX WAI NUX ADVERTISE KILL OR DIE (there's more but i didn't plan on entering nanowrimo this year so i'm not gonna go the distance)

there's nothing concrete to latch onto. you can't just say "they never listen to the community" because that breaks down *hard*. there are too many branches inside our larger pox family, what is generally meant by "they never listen to the community" is "they never listen to me and people that agree with me"

normally we see that come out strong in factionalism.

i'd go on, but it's getting sorta sidetracked.

SENSHU. BABY. HEY.

you know how i said earlier in this post there was nothing to latch onto? if the playerbase has A cups, the devs have, i dunno, something really inappropriate but also much smaller than that.

i'm not gonna ask for deadlines. i don't give a Bane Shift about deadlines. i don't actually think any of us understand all of the Bane Shift you guys wanna do. there's a lot of it, i'm told. but as a playerbase we need to see a direction. even if it's just a stickied thread that says "these are the things that are currently being worked on", and the things change hourly i really don't care.

what it comes down to here is that we don't know. a lot of really devoted players do not know what is happening. they don't know if they're being heard, or how important they are. radio silence on your part doesn't help because that feels like they're being blown off. and because they don't know and they're starting to feel frustrated, they're questioning you more and more. and more and more, people are starting to agree because they realize that they don't know either.

so i dunno (heh). maybe it'll all be fine and these guys will continue whining, shitposting, and blasting their way through threads til the end of time just as a force of habit. maybe they'll eventually go away, after convincing most others to leave.

maybe it would be really easy for you to take some time out and tell the passengers where the ship is headed. i don't, for me, care all that much on the individual stops on the way so long as you have a good plan for the overall journey, but since we can't see that we need something to go on and something to trust.

#my2cents#teamwaffle

and burn? for the love of god, give it a rest.
    meet at my place tho?

Dolphinllc, Oldmaster, SPiEkY and 3 others like this.
  18. Boozha

Leave it to Dagda to make a riot simply not fun. Spoilsport. I somewhat agree, but I think transparency is universally agreed upon. Thus your second paragraph; that plan would certainly make me a happier panda than I am now.

19. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

@Dagda but I had the song. And the lyrics. And some of it rhymed and was funny. I claimed to be determined and all that.

The lyrics..

Also y u gotta be all bout that usa. Private planes are such a hassle.

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

actually if you guys can somehow can make mobile version of pox devs can increase playerbase. Only problem is that it's difficult to implement