What are some underused spells in your faction that are/could be pretty good

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

My faction SP

1) Crescendo (costs 35 nora)- I've always really liked this spell. Its basically chain lightning for SP, but does less damage to the primary target and has a longer area range. It requires much more skill to use than chain lightning and is a little bit cheaper

2) Devour (costs 25 nora)- this spell sacrifices your target champ and heals your other champs on the board for the sacrificed champ's nora cost divided evenly among them. This spell is iffy, because it has very limited uses. I ran it awhile ago when chop decks and fw attrition were prevalent and made some people cry though. That sacrifice of a basically dead champ ends up healing all your champs for like 20 hp. Cast it on the champ that the blocks are targeting and laaaaaaugh when the opponent rages. Its basically divine favor 3 if they have a skull of decay out. Get the globe and the whole thing costs a pittance. This spell is extremely dependent on what the current meta environment is like. I havent run it since those old days.

3) Distract (20 nora)- Aoe 3 distract that lasts for 4 turns. Also very dependent on the meta, but can be extremely useful. Distacts both players' champs in the area. It makes no khan do players cry delicious tears.

4) Onus of Kiergana (40 nora)- probably the coolest spell in ghe entire game. Unfortunately, its only really viable in rush decks

5) Ritual of Binding (30 nora)- probably my favorite spell in the game. I used to run it alllll the time and beat tiny and many other players solely due to it. It makes any deck a potential shrine kill deck. It prevents the shrine from transfiguring or activating abilities for 6 turns. It also works on avatars as well, and prevents them from attacking or activating abilities.

6) Shattered Fonts (30 nora)- Ive always wanted to find a place for this spell in my deck, but its just so dang situational. "All champs in a straight line within 5 spaces of each font take 12 damage. If the font is friendly, champions affected lose all ap." Talk about surprise damage from across the freaking map. I feel like it could also be semi-easy to position opposing champs to get hit at a friendly or neutral font. I might try it some more later down the road.

7) Spellthief Resurrection (35 nora)- I ran this for a little bit when the stupid essence drain+ride down combo was everywhere. Managed to make a lot of people ragequit with this spell.

8) Spontaneous Congregation (25 nora) - i feel like this spell should be broken in moga. I cant run it unfortunately because it would be way too hard to keep track of everything on my shítty laptop.

9) Cultural Contamination (20 nora)- this spell will have to be changed down the road....i mean cmon. It gives a moga deck the kanen racial. This means that a tap from thrower = every moga next to the target getting a free attack. Its only slightly kept in line by the fact that ghern have no good ranged units really. (Side note: please make some good ranged ghern that dont have ammunition) But yeah, itll probs need a nora increase sometime

SaintKiwi, Gnomes, Tweek516 and 4 others like this.
  2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I actually like this one as is. Could just be me tho.

I could see this becoming similar to a Sacrifice/Desperate Heal. Unfortunately Wrath factions aren't really supposed to have access to mass healing. Tho Witches, and SP Shamans kinda threw that out the window. So I don't know.

This one is actually pretty damn useful I've found. I assume that as Passive champs become less prevalent I'll find less use for it. If I need a rune to fill a spot in my bg, this one is usually it.

I don't really have opinions on the rest. I like the thread. +1

3. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Yeah i agree with everything you said hahaha. Im not saying these spells need a buff necessarily; Im saying that they can be better than people think.

4. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

I feel like most good FS spells are well known already, but Murky Depths might be a sleeper rune for decks with water. Stealth is applied on your turn so you can add it as a layer of protection to your ranged units.

Also, all units that are stealthed when the timer runs out will be permanently stealthed (because the not-in-water clause won't be checked once the hidden:water condition has been removed). You have to wait 8 turns for it, but perma-stealth is pretty handy.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Absorb Magic. Unlimited duration 30 nora counter spell that can snipe some really powerful effects. It's just slightly less universal than Snow Blind, which is a problem, but your opponent also can't really get a read on it and then counter-target.

Weaken is also not bad.

People already know about Hungry Hands.

6. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

I run one Crescendo for sure. It's damage potential is great. Also Sonic damage is almost never countered by immunities or eater abilities. Good spell to finish champs.

I never fully understood how to use Onus of Kiergana. It literally just makes you lose. Please enlighten me.

KF Spells

Life Shield: With all the champion targeting spells out there this is a very viable option for counters. Its just hard for me to make any room for it.

Mirror Trap: Creates copies of a target opponent champion until the other original champ is destroyed for 60 nora. This a good spell for the price because you could copy stuff like Dwarven King or other high cost champs. Also if you cast Escape Magic on the copy before the original dies you can keep the copy. This combo is obviously situational. But again not sure what to make room for to add it.

Nothing else comes to mind ATM.

7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I've always liked Scold in SP, personally. Otherwise Crescendo is one of my favorites as well. I think Contamination actually sees a fair bit of play though, but I could be mistaken.

In FS, Bog Trap is often under-rated. It's crap in mirror matches and against flying, but that's not as common as it first seems. Reckless Command is also a lot better (in Jellies at least) than I first thought as well.

Just ran out of time, so maybe will come back to mention some more later.

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

I like this thread. Ill be home in an hour or two and will post my IS ones.
    Edit:

Converging Portals - 45 Nora - Completely random which is why most people will never run it. It has great strategic value however. In a standoff with your opponent and have some spare nora? Cast on your units and have a chance to teleport into the opposing font with Full AP. Need to get rid of some units between you and their shrine? Just teleport them out of the way. The downside of course is that you have no control where anything goes so it can screw you just as quickly as win you the game.

Gravity Flux -
    35 Nora - Most people will never look at the spell outside of a deck trying to use Geomancer. One thing to note though is that it moves both your units and the opponents so it operates like an AoE Grappling Hook. Cast in between your units and theirs and it will pull them 2 spaces closer to the middle effectively saving you 4 AP. Be careful though, it interacts strangely with 2x2 champs.

Groble Bombardment - 45 Nora - AoE 2, 8 damage spell that deals 12 damage to the middle square and knocks the middle square back 1 space. Also summons a 4 defense 17 HP champion (with banner) that has Rock Defiance and Calcify. Efficiency wise its hard to find better.

Suppress - 40 Nora - Target champion is Distracted and Pacified for 2 rounds. Unlike other control spells you cant really cleanse it because the Pacify will still be there. Pacify means that the champ will still be able to run around but if you have a very angry Aspect of Violence or a super champ that your opponent has invested in you can just laugh at it while it cant attack.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Baskitkase likes this.
  9. Firk

Firk I need me some PIE!

I would say speed trap if it was 5 nora cheaper Divine dispersal if it was 10 nora cheaper

10. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Because Eriluun's Favor taught us nothing.

Netherzen likes this.
  11. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

I run Distract 1x in almost every SP deck right now. Also agree w everything except Spelllthief Resurrection (I think it's just too situational to ever really be worth it). Crescendo and Ritual of Binding really catch people off guard and can secure some crazy wins.

12. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Sp

Reckless summoning- Messes up opposing battle plans, gets you an extra moga for only 40 nora.
    State of confusion- Probably my favorite sp spell an incredible debuff spell that costs only 35 nora and is useful for taking out annoying tanks.

Forglar

Blood of the swamp- 25 nora for a global heal for half the damage taken, put it on a high hp champ for infinite lol's.
    Expanded reach- For 10 nora has huge benefits allowing longer spell casting, I always find myself needing one extra spaceto cast a spell and this give me that.
    Forced reconstruction- My favorite spell for right before I lose my high nora costing champs, it always comes as a surprise and more often than not gets me the last damage I need for a kill.

Forsaken wastes

Black ops- Highly underused and can help in counter strategy against opponents, would be more useful if the combat log wasn't filled with utter Bane Shift.
    Darkweave- More dmz zone for 20 nora doesn't allow many opposing aoe spells to be cast.
    Dead zone voodoo- Used to be my favorite spell when it was a bit cheaper and on bloodbinder count, now it's okay but very good against rushy opponents. I still use it now and then when ud is played a lot in the meta.
    Drain the earth- More dead magic zone for a ridiculously cheap cost.
    Reflesh- Huge heal spell when I play zombies the area of effect makes it so useful.
    Snuff- Probably my favorite sleeper rune in fw, almost always gives the 15 nora refund when playing zombies, slows champs down so my zombies can smack them, doesn't allow heals or any helpful buffs, small damage reduction which is very helpful in dread bgs. Incredibly versatile spell.
    Spell trap- I don't know why it's not used more, 20 nora, small cooldown, 10 damage to shrine or avatar, this spell is abuse waiting to happen. Been using it a bit every now and then and always catch people off guard with it in my tariff bgs.

Ironfist

Divine reprisal- I tend to run this in my construct or groble bgs since they start with low damage output but have high hp, the spell is very effective and helps deter attacks and helps against range bs. I know your all saying well what about righteous deflection, well that doesn't counter melee also now does it.
    Glorious charge- This in combination with macademize leads to many incredible power turns, the extra mobility also helps skirting around opposing champs for that last 5 damage on the enemy avatar.
    Speed trap- My favorite spell when k'thir abuse is around.
    Suppress- Could see it being a bit cheaper but super effective against super champs and in ironfist adaptive bgs.
    Valiant sacrifice- Very underused spell, great healing potential to save a key champ and a heal for the shrine is awesome late game after all those scrys.

I don't feel like doing the other factions right now.

13. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I wonder if blackops could be reprogrammed as a global condition on the left side of the screen like decay etc. with the opposing player's nora # given when you hover over it. It doesn't really matter if your opponent knows that you know how much nora he has.

14. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Rapid Assault is pretty good

Ifem21 and IMAGIRL like this.
  15. skarpox

skarpox The King of Potatoes

Spontaneous Growth, this little spell adds 10 HP to your max and makes the ground vegetation. It was a very useful spell in KF Ranger decks when Domain Vegetation, Camouflage, and Hidden Vegetation was more rampant in the beginning of Pox. This spell was cast with the old Germination Engine, making these type spells really useful for this old vegetation theme. Now, it could be useful. Adding 10 more max HP to any champion is worthwhile. However, no one uses it.

16. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

alot of the worthless spells need to be changed or just removed from the game.

17. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Unbending Force is one of my favorite IS spells. Most opponents can be easily baited into wasting an entire turn's worth of resources trying to kill something, only to end up having it survive anyway. It's not dispellable either, which gives it an edge over Impervious and RD. Best used on a Warcry unit or something squishy that the opponent will over-extend to try and kill. It makes for great turnarounds, and is completely unexpected.

Increase Gravity is another spell I find underrated. It's basically IS's version of Planar Dissonance. Stopping all forms of relocation for only 20 nora is a steal IMO. It also has the handy side effect of grounding all Flying champions, which can be pretty hilarious if the opponent carelessly positions something over a chasm.

Also, I know it's not from IS, but I have to give a shoutout to Obelus from FW. While cleanse may be fairly common, FW has plenty of Defile sources, meaning anything you cast Obelus on will be taking 14 loss of life for every ability and basic attack they use. Any time I play FW, I make sure to include Obelus; it's another of those spells that people never think about, and I love surprise stuff like that.

Baskitkase, Netherzen and IMAGIRL like this.
  18. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

Holy Light - Underused. It's a good spell, but due to it's cost and situational use it's not run as often as spells you can drop whenever you want. When Delim got Fanatical Devotee I was running it because of all the Greenhouses.

Mercy - Only used in IS/FW Chopping Blocks. If IS ever gets a way to efficiently use this spell it'll probably get nerfed.

Obelus is spell that punishes you for moving fast. Recently played against a noob who used it on my Borderguard Elite and I lost 42 hp (which killed it) because I used Hold the Line, Defensive Strike, and attack without paying attention >.>

IMAGIRL likes this.
  19. JellyBerry

JellyBerry Forum Royalty

Arctic Wail - 25 Nora!? Lonx decks. Fun.

Razor Ice - Don't see it enough. Helps a lot in decks like Ferren which lack damage in certain occasions or anything ranged. Worth trickling with.

Humble/Lockdown - Could be very strong depending on what's being used. Well timed spot distract for 4 turns can be pretty cool. Lockdown would be dope against certain factions and specific situations, but it does look very strong at it's current cost.

ST has too many things to mess around with.

20. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I once lost to Razor Ice, completely countered my mirrored shield. Very underrated spell.