What reason is there to suppress "inconvenient" truth?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by st3ck, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

You think because someone has an education they can't be ostracized, disenfranchised, or impoverished? Admittedly in the west the first 2 are more common but I feel like you don't know what those words mean if you are talking about education. Also of note with that stat, it includes those who attended but did not finish, to me that sounds like someone who could feel failed by society especially in technical subjects.

Just dropping this here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...haria-religion-faith-syria-iraq-a7193086.html
    "According to the documents, which were acquired by the Syrian opposition site Zaman al-Wasl and shared with the AP, 70 per cent of recruits were listed as having just "basic" knowledge of Sharia — the lowest possible choice. Around 24 per cent were categorized as having an "intermediate" knowledge, with just five per cent considered advanced students of Islam. Five recruits were listed as having memorized the Quran. "

so 5% at best actually knowing a reasonable amount about the religion sounds like the religion is not the driving force to me.

BurnPyro likes this.
  2. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Define "serious terrorist attack" por favor. San Bernardino. Ohio State University. Fort Hood. Nightclub in Florida. Many others. Why do u want to exclude the Boston Bombing?

I want Western Civilization to thrive, thus an attack anywhere in or against the West is noteworthy to me. Precise location is much less important than why and who.

Radical Islam is a world conquering ideology. Self preservation is at the heart of the populist wave, on each side of the pond (AKA Atlantic).

3. DarkJello

Why do u believe Muslims are the best terrorists in the modern era, as opposed to Buddhists or atheists or Mennonites or Hindus or...?

Also, loads of Americans know a "reasonable amount" of English but they get average to poor marks in an English class.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

false.

BurnPyro and SPiEkY like this.
  5. Poxpoints

Poxpoints I need me some PIE!

I usually don't bother on politics online but I just wanted to jump in here, as I feel my input could add something.

In a way I got a pretty interesting point of view on the whole issue I guess: my mom is Christian, my dad is Muslim and I'm agnostic.

In my opinion there isn't such a thing as a faith that is "right" or "wrong". If believing makes you a stronger and better person, that's awesome! If you don't believe, that's awesome too.

The problem in my opinion is the lack of proper communication. People tend to be afraid of what they don't know, and they need someone or something to blame, in recent Western history: muslim = bad.
    People in our Western society are acting like they're the main victims of terrorism and it's just not true. Don't get me wrong there are terrorist-attacks on "Western soil" (whatever that really means, I believe we live on one planet, but that's another discussion) and they're bad enough. But do you guys even look at what's happening outside of our "Western bubble"? Most people that died from terrorist attacks performed by ISIL (or whatever name they gave it this month around) are in fact muslims, and were not killed on "Western soil".

I talked with my dad about this issue; a man that has been living over 30 years in Belgium now, speaks the language, has a job and wouldn't hurt a fly. He told me lately more people are looking at him as if he's a criminal. He just accepts it and in a way understands the sentiment, but it saddens him. But let's be 100% honest, he doesn't deserve any of this. He said to me that terrorists will never be seen as muslims by the muslim community. The only ones that accept those terrorists as muslims are themselves, and they are a stupendously small minority.

It is completely unfair to judge and blame 1.6 billion (and that's a number from 2011, so probably more at this time) people, because some extremists are abusing the name of their religion.

I don't know howmany of you speak French, but for those of you who do, I'd like to end with a video from a guy from Molenbeek, Belgium:

6. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I love @Gaverion

Having reasonable Americans around is such a rare occurence.

Dagda and sok were getting lonely

7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

:(

Geressen, SPiEkY and DarkJello like this.
  8. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I'd be worried, seems like a lot of noise coming from team Trump to set up China as the next 'big evil'.

Probably Islam/terrorism has a lot of millage in it yet, but I'm guessing the narrative will move to China at some point.

Ohmin likes this.
  9. DarkJello

I don't want to be a despised minority. I doubt anyone wants that. Some want to wash the globe into 1 color, while others love the colorful differences.

Geressen likes this.
  10. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

changed 1 letter.

hehehe

11. DarkJello

Sorry... but... that was funny. Now I know for sure that something is wrong with me. :oops:

Truth is, I figured out I was unique a loooooong time ago. (March 2015). ;)

Geressen likes this.
  12. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

not gonna lie, I skip most of your posts cause they're too much effort to read

i used to, but i get lazier over time

KingJad likes this.
  13. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I see how it is.

14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

i love you

but you're way too right wing for my taste in these threads

we can still get high tho

DarkJello likes this.
  15. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

It's not my fault the only threads I can comment on are the ones where I have a right-wing opinion.

DarkJello likes this.
  16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

make a thread for your other opinions?

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

ehhhh, starting threads is for people who care about stuff

NevrGonaGivUup and DarkJello like this.
  18. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Fair enough I suppose.

19. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

fify

20. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

So....

People who know little about the Koran and the Islamic faith, which often includes disenfranchised Muslims (usually youths) that know little about their own faith? Sounds like we're in agreement, just using different words.
    (and yes, they DO target religious youth, who else are they going to recruit in Islamic countries? Christians?)