What was the hardest step for you to get good in PoxNora, and how did you overcome it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hfok, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

^^^ if i have X ap on 3 champs i'll attack with one to sus out the amount of damage i could do

2. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

The hardest things for me to do in Pox are PvP and Single Player. I'm good with the rest.

fattyy2k likes this.
  3. LuckyClucky

LuckyClucky The King of Potatoes

here is a few i had to learn while playing pox in my earlier days
    1.) Newsbuff got it right with knowing when to give up a font. No one likes doing this but sometimes it determines the outcome.
    2.)One of the hardest things which I see people struggle with constantly is understanding that planning is usually done during your opponents turn. When it is your turn adjust if need be and execute your plan.
    3.) Understanding that for every fraction there are things to avoid and certainways you can prepare to avoid problems.(some examples)
    - FW: always leave champs with 4 less ap than it takes to be cliffed to accomidate for domination or just pair champs up so that if dominated they will engage and they cannot be cliffed
    -ST: not standing next to champs/walls/relics or near chasm with no ap because of gale force, or play spells that target a champ because of snow blind.
    -FS: Keep champs outside of water or it will be drowned easier, make them work for it at least >.>
    -SP: if you see your opponent leaves his champ open to attacks it usually means whispers of the mind
    -IS: keep an eye out for possible rd(righteous deflection) and don't attack twice with range units, attack once and see if the attack goes through before attacking again

Gnomes, Scrijordan, Qucas and 2 others like this.
  4. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Doing math.Math is OP.

Qucas likes this.
  5. Ultima

Ultima I need me some PIE!

this. I have a bad habit of double attacking, and it hurts when they have rightous deflection up. And the math thing as well. Took me a while to realize how simple the damage calculation was.

6. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

Positioning, had to stop spaming spells so much and focus more on getting champs out aswell.
    And trying to stop giving a damn about anything in the game (This one is still a huge problem for me) but ohwell, one/2 games every 2 days does the job

Qucas and bambino like this.
  7. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

I was spamming spells as well,, big mistake,, hurting or delaying my opponent, , but when the dust settled I'd have maybe 2 champs while my opponent still had 3 or 4 min..
    now I only use spells for specific reason or when forced.

Qucas and Pattn199 like this.
  8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Gotta go with the "strategic withdrawal". Sometimes dying over a font is not worth it.

9. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Some interesting insight in this thread actually, which will probably help me improve as a player.

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Logging in.

KingJad, Pattn199, BurnPyro and 3 others like this.
  11. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

I was always terrible at this game. I still am. I got better by watching BallBaller play. He played the same deck over and over. I copied his deck completely. Its the little stuff like counting my nora or making sure my champs had 4 ap at the end of the turn that made me better too. I went from playing pantier every afternoon in uncommon league to top ten. I have tity spanked the greatest Pox players (yeah i beat tiny).

Ballballer likes this.
  12. negatorxx

negatorxx I need me some PIE!

playing conservative and letting them come to you.

Im still working on it.

13. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

tinydragon, dealt with the problem by not queing when he's in the lobby. seems to have worked pretty well.

14. Elves Rule

Elves Rule I need me some PIE!

Uhhhhhh physical amp new thing.

Ballballer likes this.
  15. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

hue hue barbs pls

16. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Noticed it, decided that I didn't care

17. dbouya

dbouya I need me some PIE!

I think what the OP says is a common problem players have and it hurts the health of the playerbase, my recommendation is to give out much more gold/points/whatever for LOSING pvp games... one big problem imo keeping people out of pvp matches is that you get a ton of gold playing singleplayer and not that much for losing pvp matches, losing pvp matches (that go longer than a minute or two to prevent exploits) should really be a lot more rewarding, we need players willing to lose pvp matches for the health of the game as a whole... I for one ended up in the same place as the OP, I played daily single player a lot because I wanted some gold, was too afraid of losing in pvp, saw there wasn't much reward for losing, ended up quitting.

I strongly disagree, TBS are almost always a LOT more taxing to play than RTS, why? Because when you're in a chess tournament sure your hands don't have to move fast but you have to concentrate really hard for a long time. The most mentally taxing video game I've ever played in my life was dominions 3. In dominions 3 multiplayer you often have 24-72hours to submit a single move but the player who often ends up winning the match is the one who can concentrate on that move for hours instead of getting frustrated and submitting their turn after only a few minutes.

In an rts you might be more likely to get carpal tunnel but you're much less likely to have as much mental fatigue, this is as it should be, compare how mentally taxing a physical sport is to something like chess (from the ancient past before video games and rts/tbs).