Why do laser rifles have recoil?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JazzMan1221, Jul 17, 2017.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

If the laser rifle is doing damage because of the force of the impact by the laser, the rifle would have an equal force pushing back on the one firing. If the laser rifle is doing damage because it is emitting a strong enough beam of light to burn the target, then there should be no recoil.

Tweek516 likes this.
  2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

.... that sounds like a horribly inefficient way to produce light.

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

The most intense form of natural light is from a gamma burst. Obviously laser rifles have a gbm (gamma burst module). They're efficient because they're made in New Chinatown, Mars colony.

Nerd

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Geressen likes this.
  4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I think we can conclude that laser rifles would or would not have knockback in different circumstances
    • if hitting with the kinetic force equal to a bullet = yes
    • if hitting with nearly no force but dammaging through heat absorbtion/transfer = no/ not noticable to user.

of course the second would be more easily deflected and shielded against than the later to some degree

are we agreed?
    If so shall I make a thread about chloroplasts/ fotosynthesis in animals in science fiction and its feasability as a modification of human or animal cells/organisms?

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

That just turns people into Moss Man.

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

you did not answer my question and jumped the gun on a thread I have not made yet.