Worms Ground Zero

Discussion in 'Forsaken Wastes' started by kalasle, Sep 5, 2015.

1. flador

flador The King of Potatoes

So you run colossus with lord and (swarm?) I've been maining worms (granted I'm new and am just starting to almost win some games with it; still figuring out the playstyle I guess...) and run mine with vivify, becuase with 7 speed it basically guaruntees 2 attack per turn. Though I only run one and I hardly find myself playing him at all... What do you run Eye with? I haven't been able to afford any yet, and I don't see what would make him a valuable replacement for bloodworms.

2. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Lord/Torrent on one, Lord/Swarm on the other. Having the extra lords matters a lot, because that's a source of guaranteed growth.

Surge/Vitality. His range makes him a million times better than Bloodworm, and Vitality gives him an easy 8-10 AP a round.

3. flador

Interesting... I'll have to pick them up then, and maybe another colossus too.

Could you explain why you don't run a sacrificial dagger? I feel like the healing it brings to the table fits the worms well, since putrids can benefit a lot from the extra health and are often getting kills anyway, and it sounds like eye would make great use of it as well. Also what is snuff for? I get that its cheap and all, but when you're already running hungry dead does it really contribute a lot?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  4. M4DD4WG

M4DD4WG Well-Known Member

Would you mind posting what champ upgrades you use for your current bg when you have time Kalasle?

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Blood Fiend -- Exert 3, Siphon
    Bile Zombie -- Init 1, Explo 3
    Carrion Colossus -- Torrent/Swarm, Lord
    Dusk Creeper -- Empowered: Speed, Shroud
    Eye of Serkan -- Vitality, Surge
    Phantasmal Creeper -- Hex, Commander
    Putrid Creeper -- Scour, Creeping Harvest (there are a lot of ways to go on just about every other champ, but this is the one thing where I will say without question anything else is a mistake: Putrid Creeper must take Creeping Harvest)
    Reflecting -- Fellowship, Leech
    Rotmaw -- Assault, Zeal
    Twilight -- Evasive, Chains

6. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Anyone playing worms?Anyone got a bg to post?

7. flador

Yep. Still my favorite bg (though knockback constructs has been a lot of fun lately).
    [​IMG]
    This is what I've been running. The new buff to Propagate: Carrionling makes running Ravenous Torrent on Carrion Colossus absolutely amazing, and enervating collar on an eye that's trailing a colossus is quite strong (the carrionlings can just donate their AP), but it also works well on a well placed mindtheif or phantasmal creeper for zoning. I'm considering dropping a bile zombie for another Dusk Creeper, as shroud and improve range make it an incredibly valuable support unit, and sonic damage can come in handy.

Netherzen likes this.
  8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I would really not think of dropping a Bile myself. If you do experiment with a single Bile, post your results! How does the new Prop play out? Haven't gotten a chance to use it.

9. Djangoguy

Djangoguy The King of Potatoes

Don't you guys already tested Necrowave and 1x Zombie? How it works?

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Haven't tested it, might, but expect it to be significantly worse.

11. Netherzen

This is what i am running currently.
    Its kinda weird.Playing with some non-popular stuff.
    can of worms.JPG

Xirone likes this.
  12. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Damn double Bile Zombies being dropped 10 spaces from the shrine! :oops:

Netherzen likes this.
  13. Netherzen

Allahu Akbar

Xirone likes this.
  14. Netherzen

I run rotmaw with zeal and shatter.
    And twilight with defender and life siphon.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

As of the Visions mid-term, here's what I'm running:

upload_2016-1-25_12-5-24.png

With the changes to Propagate, I think Colossus is a higher priority deploy than Putrid, which feels weird to say. Repurpose does not feel as worth it any more at 40 nora, it will likely get cut. Atelier is only for testing right now, but it's already won me a game by itself. I'm unsure about leaving the equipment set like it is, but I haven't gotten punished for it yet.

The basic approach is this: establish a stale-mate line by deploying the following champions: Carrion Colossus, Dusk Creeper, and Eye of Serkan, roughly in that order. Those three champions combined can put enough presence on the front to keep the opponent wary of moving forward. Flesh out the rest of the team as seems appropriate for growth, aiming to get Phantasmal as the next deploy. Putrid Creeper works wonders if you can get him out, but he should come in fifth for priority. From there, the deck relies on space control and then playing to the distance. Essence Drain and Mobi set up kills. The big thing is to remain safe near your deployment zone -- that's been the hardest lesson for me to constantly relearn, to just be really, really patient. Every champion should be at most a turn away from friendly deployment space; every death should make the SDZ stick.

The deck is still under construction, and some things might leave to make space, but it's feeling good-ish.

Netherzen and Woffleet like this.
  16. Netherzen

New edition:
    do the worm.JPG

New New edition:
    worm.JPG

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  17. flador

I see Blinky is back. Any reason you feel she's better now? I haven't gotten a chance to play since the midterm (been really busy with school). Gonna do a few games tonight to try out the new Colossus!

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Loss of Flight dropped her cost down to sub-80. That's good enough to run, because it's a sub-80 Lord, and that means you can potentially use her to pick up kills with Ping, which increases SDZ. That's kinda neat. She isn't super great, but mediocre, runnable units with weird, in-theme utility is the stuff on which worms thrive.

The new Colossus is amazing. He's 2x auto easy, and is now probably my highest-priority deploy in most situations.

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I've taken another look at Bloodworm, and dropping down to 77 nora puts him in the running. With Surge, Siphon, Multi, and 7 SPD he can pump out a lot of damage and has great threat range. Only running 1 right now, but he shows promise.

I've been watching some worms games by other players, and noticed that a lot of people seem lost once they hit high-expansion with worms; they'll get some good buildup, the mid-game will go well, and then they fumble it. Awkward play at that point doesn't always lead to defeat, but it sometimes does. Maybe I'll make a post about how to play out that stage of the game with worms. It's a lot easier to throw away than it may seem! Essentially, don't deploy directly into the enemy, and don't think you've won; don't just toss out Bile Zombies and expect everything to magically work itself out. High-expansion worms are terrifying, and get unique and powerful tools, but you still need to work to use them. Stay inside your deployment zone, deployment important champions at a safe distance from the enemy, and rubber-band back and forth to control tempo and spacing; drop Bile Zombies as power spells.

Netherzen likes this.
  20. flador

Bloodworm paired with a dusk creeper is a really lethal combo. I can't think of a good reason to run two though, Eye of Serkan is better in most situations. I usually didn't find myself using more than one bile zombie per game, so I've been running one comfortably for a while now, keeping Polluted Martyr instead because propagate is so strong now and he makes an excellent emergency deploy when you can't quite afford a colossus. Out of curiosity, what did you drop for the bloodworm?