Yugioh is up Bane Shift creek

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by themacca, Sep 22, 2015.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

So i decided to start playing yugioh the last few days and couldn't help but notice the balance of that game is beyond firked up. they recently introduced these things called pendulums and it seems the general consensus is that they are literally destroying the game at the moment. I know thats the common reaction (for pretty much all card games to new things) but i can totally agree with them on this, a whole bunch of new crap they've brought in is just ridiculous and the power creep that has come into that game is the worst i've seen of any card game out there.

Tweek516, IMAGIRL and Anima26 like this.
  2. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

I played it since the release of Yugi and Kaiba decks, oh and Joeys. I stopped playing it after the lvl cards emerged with all the elemental heroes, gear golems, cyber dragons and stuff. Armored Dragon and Mystic Samurai (i thnk it was called) were really cool, played with all that stuff a lot then i just stopped, it coincided with my friend who i used to duel a lot also stopping playing.

The game had already power creeped like crazy at that point. I recently played a NDS game briefly and there were all kinds of new stuff like Synchro cards or some Bane Shift and Union cards, more and more complicated stuff that does all sorts of fancy bollocks, i had no idea wtf i was doing when i tried to build a deck. Power creep to the max.

3. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

You can play yugioh for free with any and all cards at dueling network.
    You only pay for custom avatar image/such crap.
    I used to play there a lot before.

4. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

Bollocks isnt censored? Ha, good old American forums.

Morfeas likes this.
  5. themacca

The special summons are actually beyond ridiculous at this point, i had some guy use discards and special summons to win on his first turn, by the end of that turn he had 14 cards left in his deck.

Tis what i was using.

6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Yes, but aren't there still single spells/traps which can wipe the field entirely? Yu-Gi-Oh has always been about extremly powerful effects working against other extremely powerful effects. Though I don't know what's on the ever-shifting ban-list these days.

Anyway, the most fun I had with Yu-Gi-Oh was playing two Starters against each other with my brother and friends back when it first came out, though I do have a soft spot for the Gameboy games (at least those that played the actual CCG rather than some weird version of it) but a lot of that probably goes back to the similar "limited" feeling of the starters... and the fact that you don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars to eventually get a decent collection/deck by the time that fades.

7. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I mean, other than Raigeki, Mirror Force, Monster Reborn, etc.

Of course, the US release of the game condensed sets (I think the first 3 sets formed the first localized set in US, not sure though), so I can't speak to the actual original release in Japan.

Yatagarasu nonsense and Gravity Barrier(?) and that sort of thing was pretty swift to follow as well.

I do agree that the Monsters were generally relatively tame to begin with, but the spells were still bonkers, and there's not much limiting spells/traps.

8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

The Yugi deck was so much fun. I played since the beginning, stopped the moment 5Ds ended, and Zexal began. I've not seen nor played anything from Zexal or Arc-V.

List of the Yugioh games I've played, and own.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Dungeon Dice Monsters
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel
    (WC'04)
    Yu-Gi-Oh! 7 Trials to Glory: World Championship Tournament 2005
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: Nightmare Troubadour
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Aim to be Duel King!
    Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2006
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Spirit Summoner
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters: World Championship 2007
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: World Championship 2008
    Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Stardust Accelerator: World Championship 2009
    Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia
    Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2011: Over the Nexus

I still make it a habit to played a few games before bed every night. As I beat the games I alternate with Final Fantasy, and Pokemon, as well as a few other favorites (Medabots, Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia, Glory of Heracles, Kirby Superstar Ultra, Lego Batman, Lego Star Wars ECT...) FF6 is best FF.

For some reason, this post is stuck in Italics, and Bolded. Not sure why. Might as

Leadrz and Agirgis1 like this.
  9. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

i've got yugioh on my phone and i love it. my Photon Galaxy deck is legit, and my Light/Dark - Black luster deck is amazing. My most conisistant tho is probably my Red eyes dragon spam deck.

10. themacca

11. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Ah, the good old days of Yugioh. When I was a lad, around 9 or 10, I had a bunch of schoolyard chums I'd play with. None of our decks were particularly good, just random crap we got from the odd pack/box we wheedled out of our parents. We'd play in this dank corner of the school building at recess; huddled up there against the wall, crouching over the same space, the teachers must have always thought we were doing drugs or something lol.

I actually had a pretty sizable collection at one point; when I started to take the game more seriously I became quite obsessive about it, trying to fill in every last space in my binder sheets. At its peak, I think I had around 6000 cards, all filed and organized by expansion set and number. By the time the whole Chaos Emperor Dragon/Yata Garasu phase hit, I had won several local tournaments; nothing major though, I was never THAT good, but I continued playing well into the synchro era.

After that, there were too many new changes and meta shifts for me to bother keeping up (not to mention I was getting more focused on real life stuff). I ended up selling my entire collection for $1700 on ebay; hardly a fair price IMO, but the game was already beginning to become less popular at that point, so I figured I should take what I could get and consider myself lucky.

I'll never forget my favorite deck, which I affectionately called the Ghandipants deck (a portmanteau of Ghandi and Spongebob Squarepants, named thus due to its tendency to play extremely passive and yet be as annoying as possible). It was a deck-out/mill deck that used Cyber Jar, Morphing Jars, Needle Worms, and Shallow Grave among other things to empty the opponent's entire deck in a few rounds. Worked extremely well in fact, until the Jar trio hit the ban list, never to return. But god, was that deck ever fun lol. So...........much..........nerd..........rage.

In any case, I haven't played in ages, and I don't plan to any time soon either. IMO Yugioh is the perfect example of a game that is well past its time.

12. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

That wrote play, though.

MtG has headed off this problem a couple different ways, depending on the formats, to varying levels of effectiveness. Standard is slog right now, Modern has identity problems because the meta-game is all over the place (along with a restricted list that sets up an arbitrary turn-4 rule), and Legacy is still about Blue. I think Magic won't face Yugioh's problems though, because MtG has more robust core mechanics.

13. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

This is when I played and then about 3 years ago my roommates picked the game back up and got me into it. I ended up playing inzektors (the theme in the vid dmr linked) and a few different dragon themes that were mediocre at the time. We played for 5 or 6 months before retiring again. Then when they released new toon monsters a few months ago one of my roommates wanted to get back in because he loved that archetype. I looked at the banlist, saw that raigeki was at 1 and said no thank you.

Oh, and if you think inzektors were bad you should look up what an on release dragon ruler deck looked like. I legit went undefeated in devpro with that deck because it was so stupidly broken.

Anima26 likes this.
  14. themacca

Man have you seen heiratics? they're probably up there as one of teh most insane archtype. videos of people OTKing people everywhere with them, its so bloody easy to just get an easy 15 summons in a single turn with them.

15. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Just -_-

Leadrz likes this.
  16. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Yeah he finishes it off with the Des Koala effect.

Leadrz likes this.
  17. Morfeas

Morfeas I need me some PIE!

Yugioh is in its worst state since release, according to the top European players. Personally, I act as if everything after 5D's doesn't exist - collection wise and deck building wise. I got 40 decks completed my friends and family use so we can play together, balanced as much as possible and I can honestly say it's incredible fun. Firk competitive.

18. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Please note that the morphing jars are all bannnnned

19. SkeletonKing

SkeletonKing The King of Potatoes

Why would that be censored? It's not even a real word.

Your mom thought my bollocks were bollocks.

...See, it means nothing. o_O

20. Nebron

Nebron I need me some PIE!

Hieratics was one of the dragon themes I ran but they honestly weren't that good. They had a lot of otk potential but the deck was pretty easy to shut down and if they managed to survive your burst you were completely screwed. They got really good when people started using a dragon ruler hybrid deck but pure hieratics were never more than a high tier 2 deck. For yugioh you'll find that every deck (that competes) has the ability to summon a bunch of stuff in a single turn but the top decks are ones that can do that while still keeping hand presence and don't really care if you bomb their field.