2vs. AI is a dire necessity.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boozha, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Today I talked to a new guy (gasp! New guy alert!), and within two days of playing he had the same question many of us had ... why no 2v2 with AI? It would be crucial in giving new players the opportunity to play with their friends or with guys they got to know on Pox.

So the essential question is: How much work would implementing a 2vs. AI be? And would it be possible to spare resources before the PS release? Or are your code monkeys already running around with their fur on fire? ...

mortal ix, Krokodil, poinl and 5 others like this.
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

As someone who has been supportive of this idea for about 4-5 years now, I didn't really plan the rest of this sentence, but I still support it anyways.

mortal ix, poinl, potatonuts and 3 others like this.
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

yeah priorities

4. jeeperz2

jeeperz2 I need me some PIE!

It would make the game pretty interesting lmao.

5. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

dude,,2v AI,, would be a very big deal,, I always use to pick games with multi-type-play. just cuz it was fun to learn together,, i can imagine many gaming buddies might do the same,,,, not to mention my wife , whos a bit of a gamer,, but she doesnt like fighting real people (shes sweet) in games, and also has a rarely used pox account has mentioned, that when we can play together against the comp shed play,,
    yea , 2vAI would be a boon to pox...do it!

also. it would be easier to teach/explain to yer buddy as u play together. .

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  6. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

I would love this feature too, co-op vs AI

7. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

Cross platform release is coming soon.

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

this meme doesn't even fit here?

go home

9. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

This is definitely on our radar to do, but basically all new features are on hold while we work on the new client and PS4 port.

This, along with Drafts (in some fashion) are 2 of the things I am pushing for post-PS4 release.

10. free20play

free20play I need me some PIE!

Big changes are coming. B I G!!

11. oyo97

oyo97 I need me some PIE!

first this then ps4 :>

12. Dreadloche

Dreadloche The King of Potatoes

+1 This would be a great feature.

About the ps4 port- will the game engine be re-coded? It's in need of a good overhaul. Often times clicking a unit then activating an attack or ability doesn't do anything. There is also a 1-2 second delay between issuing a command and having it executed. The two together make it feel like a browser game from 2006 (kappa).

How will this carry over to console?

13. Boozha

It's great to hear that, but ... is the order really correct? I guess the port and the new client are just THE thing right now, but wouldn't it be great to have the new guys start with this in the feature set? Friends make friends play, after all.

I would suggest that if the order is impossible to change, you plaster "TWO PLAYER VERSUS KI COOP COMING SOON" across every space that can possibly fit it and make it your goal right after.

14. Sokolov

There's no 2vAI if the game client doesn't even work.

NevrGonaGivUup and Qucas like this.
  15. poinl

poinl I need me some PIE!

I've had friends that may have stayed if this was implemented. I'v tried getting many a souls to join in pox with me.

16. Boozha

Of course, but that wasn't the suggestion or question either.

17. Sokolov

Then let me be more clear:

Yes, it'd be great if we could have this feature (and many others) in by the time PS4 launch occurs.

But we have to focus on the client itself first. If PS4 players cannot play the game at all, it doesn't matter what features we have. So the order MUST be Client before New Features.

18. Boozha

So there's no capacity to switch it. That's a shame, but understandable. Are you going to (consider) advertising the feature on launch and make it another priority afterwards or would that be too inflexible?

19. Sokolov

Also, while it's nice to be optimistic about features...
    1. Most features don't have the impact people think it does
      • this isn't just players, devs overestimate impact all the time as well (general rule of thumb is whatever impact you think it'll have, reduce it by 66% to 75% minimum)
    2. Promising features before they are even in development tends to lead to bad things
      • so when I say I want to make it a priority, it doesn't mean it is happening, it just means that, as one of the developers, I will be pushing to make it happen
    That said, 2vAI is technically possible already, so it might just happen before PS4 launch simply because as features go it isn't as big a deal to do as others.

poinl, mortal ix and Karamasov like this.
  20. Boozha

Yeah, since you said before that 2v2 basically cheats the game into treating two players as one player (or somesuch), I figured it shouldn't be the most complicated thing in the world to only apply that to one half.

Anyway, I am happy that you are feeling positively about that idea. Hope it goes places.