Banned Runes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iPox, Sep 6, 2015.

1. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

Could we bring back the banned Runes?
    It's sad to have Runes in the game that cannot be played.

Here some suggestions, and please discuss them and add some easy-to-implement suggestions of your own!

Last Stand
    Target champion gains Faithless, Skirmisher, Solitary, Encroached,Defender of Chaos 2, and +10 HP,
    and Short Lived 1.
    Reason: Last Stand is a heroic but hopeless battle.

Temple of Brutality
    All Champions within 6 Spaces have Escalating Rage.
    Reason: Based on the flavour text: 'The very sight of the temple often brings viewers into hysterical rage.'

Energy Overload
    ???

Nora Freeze
    For three turns, Nora cannot be spent.
    Reason: Fits the very nice visuals. While not banned, this Rune deserves a remake.

TheBulwark, Dagda, JellyBerry and 8 others like this.
  2. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Temple of Brutaility could just reduce the percentage damage increase to 25%.

mw24 likes this.
  3. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Wouldnt that last stand pretty much just be use=lose. Also please for the love of god no overload or freeze back in the game temple and last stand were bad but Firk those 2 spells

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

iPox wants to use trickrunes?

Spidey sense tingling

mw24, EnigmaXIII, Anima26 and 5 others like this.
  5. iPox

iPox Forum Royalty

@themacca: Nora Freeze has awesome visuals. Nora Freeze and Energy Overload don't have to come back as Nora Freeze or Energy Overload, but I think they deserve to come back in some form.
    Take the Temple of Brutality suggestion as an example. It does something that fits the flavour, but it doesn't work the way it used to. That could and should be done to Nora Freeze and Energy Overload as well.
    The suggested Nora Freeze change would result in something more like Confusion than the old Nora Freeze (and it couldn't be chained because you cannot cast a second Nora Freeze due to its own effect).

For the "use=lose" part: The change might result in a niche Rune, but so what? Better some slightly underpowered Rune than a banned Rune.

newsbuff, Ifem21, JellyBerry and 2 others like this.
  6. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Not a fan of taking an ability from one of the few unique yetis, but if it's for a greater good...

Goyo likes this.
  7. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Deploy a champ. Cast nora freeze. Troll your way to a win skipping along from font to font.

Lushiris likes this.
  8. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Ipox's happiness is inversely proportional to game balance. We need to make Ipox sadder not happier.

9. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

Many ST runes need deep rework, IMO nora freeze is behind theme stuff in the line.

Ipox does like to find "flaws" in the mechanics, but I doubt he deliberately tried to create one with his suggestion; creating balanced mechanics is just that hard.

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Actually, a lot of what iPox ends up doing is unintended interactions or outright bugs. I don't consider it exploiting, but he does things that are not the normal use case in many cases.

EnigmaXIII and Leadrz like this.
  11. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Solitary was removed from the game so doubt that will be on Last Stand.

12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It technically would still be on there. Whether it works or not would be a different story, but it could.

Still, I wouldn't return Last Stand without removing Solitary, but it's one of those spells that has one purpose and that purpose is something we haven't liked to see in the game, so would probably deserve a rework.

13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

What about a hidden spell that causes something when it would be killed.

Last Stand: 35-40 Nora
    "For 2 turns, if this champions HP would fall below 0 it's HP is instead set to 1. When this effect ends the champion is destroyed and damage is dealt to all adjacent champions equal to 50% of the damage taken during its duration. This effect is hidden until triggered."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  14. Ragic

Is there any defining difference between the type or power of an ability if it's on a champ, equip, relic or spell. Iow is there any fundamental difference in the rune types other than how they enter the board.

15. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

When did he use bugs? Usually it was just really odd, unforeseeable interactions, wasn't it?

16. Ragic

You caught me mid edit. Ever hit post when you meant to hit cancel? It was one of those. So since I don't know how to remove a post completely I just swapped in a random question I was always curious about.

17. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Heh it happens :p

18. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

IPox,
    Your reputation works against you.
    - Sincerely, Sir Hagfish.

Pattn199 likes this.
  19. Ragic

The dude breaks Blizzard games. Poxnora is the kiddy pool for him.

20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

He does?