Bowmage @ PCR5

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by Karmavore, Dec 2, 2014.

?

Which buff to bowmage is most desired

1. Choice 1

37.5%
  2. Choice 2

18.8%
  3. Choice 3

43.8%
  1. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

I would disagree on what is auto. Illuminate is amazing and in a deck full of low atk but high DoT champs like archers, illuminate would be a better choice than flanking (also get bonus nora for it). Also there is no illuminate in archer decks currently. In a general meta deck I would agree flanking would probably be the better choice. Strike I will admit is now a poor choice with illuminate also in the same path.
    The second path is designed to allow him to be adaptable to what is in the meta. If alt damage is an issue (archer decks really only have physical and magical damage outside of DoTs) then Adept Arcanist makes allot of sense. If mass summon decks like Zombies are all over the place, sever summons is an amazing choice. I can say almost every game I play, I face some kind of summoned champ and since the archer theme has no summons, this would also be a great choice. Magic blast is the best general choice though if you dont have alt damage issues or arnt always facing lots of summons but this path still gives real options which is more than can be said for most champs in the game.

All that being said, I am interested in what you come up with.

2. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

xezno, I am inclined to agree with Entrepidus on this one.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  3. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

I see the Bowmage as being Pox Nora's take on the Arcane Archer from D&D. His flavor text clearly indicates that he was an Archer, first, before becoming equal parts Wizard.

At 4-5 RNG, he would have a Sentinel area second only to Stitched Monolith (and K'ento while Silent Contemplation is active). That wouldn't last long, though, as access to Arrowsinger (Archery Bale) and Archer Commander makes him top dog. A KF/ST split (to splice Rangers with Archers for Elven Prodigy, Combined Arms, etc.) adds Keeneye Crown to the mix. I'd be surprised if he wasn't accused of wall hacks by the end of his first day on the playground. With this in mind, I've composed one kit for Sentinel and and another for Flanking while filling out upgrades with some of the more popular abilities from earlier in the thread. (The math was done quickly, so assume my numbers are off a few Nora here or there.)

(Sentinel) Bowmage - [10 DMG | 6 SPD | 2-3 RNG | 1 DEF | 44 HP]
    (Archer) Path 1 = Aim | Opportunistic | Pin Down
    (Wizard) Path 2 = Chain Lightning | Magic Blast | Radiant Blow
    Base = Attack: Arrow | Imbue Stun | Farshot 2 | Sentinel
    (Default upgrades = Opportunistic + Magic Blast)

Estimated Cost: 73N - 75N - 77N (before +1 DMG, -2/-2 RNG, +1 DEF, +4 HP)

Given the potential for Sentinel abuse with base 4-5 RNG, I've reduced him to 2-3 RNG and bumped his DEF/HP to compensate. This places him slightly behind other Sentinel champions while still allowing him to surpass their range over the course of a match. Most of the upgrade options in this kit extend his attack range without affecting Sentinel.
    • Aim/Farshot 2 allows for an Archer-like periodic 15 DMG taps at 2-6 RNG through either Imbue Stun or Radiant Blow, both of which convert to (ampable!) alt-damage and pack CC
    • Chain Lightning serves as a strictly Wizard-like attack ability that pairs well with Pin Down due not benefiting from Aim/Opportunistic
    • I liked, and kept, Magic Blast as a natural pair to Opportunistic for those wanting to use him as a more traditional double-tapper
    His cost range should be roughly the same (or less) after accounting for stat adjustments.

(Flanking) Bowmage - [8 DMG | 6 SPD | 5-6 RNG | 0 DEF | 40 HP]
    (Archer) Path 1 = Declare Target | Piercing Shot 2 | Strike
    (Wizard) Path 2 = Flamestrike 2 | Illuminate | Lightning Skewer
    Base = Attack: Arrow | Imbue Stun | Precision | Flanking
    (Default upgrades = Strike + Illuminate)

Estimated Cost: 75N - 76N - 81N (before -1 DMG and +1/+1 RNG)
    I felt that the Sentinel/Flanking/Magic Blast trio was a tad too effective to include in one kit (especially with Precision!) and Sentinel/Flanking is already covered by Firk Psy-Sentry. This kit taps his base damage, bumps his attack range and boasts flexibility over area control.
    • Declare Target is a solid replacement for Commander: Archer that doesn't shut out his Wizard brethren
    • Piercing Shot 2 provides more reliable damage on top of Flanking
    • Illuminate/Strike are budget options for keeping costs low while still being able to trigger Flanking
    • Flamestrike 2 expands his attack to 1-6 RNG while providing alt-damage and a melee option vs ranged hate
    • Lightning Skewer is, again, the token Wizard attack ability that compensates for choosing Declare Target over Piercing Shot 2/Strike
    This kit should also have roughly the same cost range after stat adjustments

----------

In both kits, I the Archer path included an active damage ability (Aim/Piercing Shot 2), a (semi-)passive damage ability (Opportunistic/Strike) and utility (Pin Down/Declare Target). The Wizard paths followed a Fire (Radiant Blow/Flamestrike), Lighting (Chain Lightning/Lightning Skewer) and Magic (Magic Blast/Illuminate) theme. This seemed like the best way to represent an equal mastery over archery and wizardry.

4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I'm fine with either of these.

5. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Bane Shift, sorry guys I was late on this! Voting open.

6. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Let it be know before the voting begins, I voted for Entre's suggestion, I do like the others. But i loved what he put forward. Also, 2 votes for choice 1 where casted before the voting began, therfore do not count.

7. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Also thank for everyone for participating, I really appreciate the thought and enthusiasm put forward.

<3

I'll be doing this most likely for all future Lege buffs.

8. splitstax

splitstax Well-Known Member

For Option 2, with Flanking and Piercing Shot, this Archer is OP. That give s him a 19-damage strike every two turns, which is going to get Piercing Shot nerfed (just like Hawk Attack) two weeks after release. Those are two much. Also, Flanking plus Declare Target gives him a major powerturn ability every 3 rounds combined with Imbue Stun and makes any enemy champ a dead duck having just suffered a 26 damage strike with declare target and left stunned in case your other champs cant get to him that round. That also is a bad combo, bad being too much. These kinds of kit sets cause people to complain OP and Balance. We should tone it down some more.

9. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

i voted for number 1 it looks like fun and not too op i hope

10. Leadrz

Leadrz I need me some PIE!

All for 3

11. xezno

xezno I need me some PIE!

How I came to my decision:

1 - +2 magic damage, +1 dmg, +1 Adept Arcanist
    2 - +1 Precision base, +1 for range, +1 Illuminate
    3 - +1 lightning dmg, +1 Precision base, +1 dmg

Vote went to number 1 however all three choices are great. Really wanted to see something other than physical damage otherwise I might have voted for number 2. Adept Arcanist with physical base would have been great though however Magic Damage is a huge bonus in KF.

12. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Voted for number 1 because it is just too awesome. Imbue Stun, Punish and Adept Arcanist <3. I mean, the only other thing I could possibly want would be Flanking or Illuminate, which is why choice no. 2 tempted me for a bit, but that I can easily get from someplace else.
    I really love how he can gain various damage types through Adept Arcanist (though it doesn't have to be exactly through that).

EDIT: might be wrong here, but I am concerned about no. 1 being possibly too strong.

13. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

I agree with sirus no 1 might be a little strong thats why i wanted him to have 8 dmg
    I think that #3 is the most reasonable one it kinda obvious shame i really like aim on bowmage but change lightning storm to lightning blast or make it attack magic arrow and magic blast

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  14. Entrepidus

Flanking is only triggered by basic attacks which prevents it from stacking with Piercing Shot 2. The purpose of choosing it is to allow for a single 14 DMG attack every other turn when Flanking isn't active for 13 DMG attacks. Note that Imbue Stun also triggers from basic attacks so it would stack with Flanking but not Piercing Shot 2.

I was careful about picking abilities that wouldn't pile up to unreasonable amounts of damage. Splitting damage boosts amongst basic and non-basic attacks was the best way to do this.

15. DarkJello

DarkJello I need me some PIE!

Voted for #3, since it is coolness.

I like #1 the best, which means it is probably OP. Fear it will be nerfed by ruffians. Not gonna let it break my heart.

16. Entrepidus

I'm just not a fan of the kit for Choice 1 or Adept Arcanist (on him), in general. Also, as pointed out earlier in the thread, it overlaps with Arrowsinger (and Elven Archer, to an extent).

The damage conversion aspect of Imbue Stun loses value with a Magical base attack. Paralyze/Farshot 2 feels somewhat auto (although Punish is tempting) to allow (low cost) sniping for 13+ DMG at 4-8+ RNG every other turn. I say Paralyze (over Stun) because it's cheaper CC and does more to address the kit's weakness to melee champs.

Overall, Choice 1 feels the least like an Archer/Wizard of the giving voting options. I much prefer Xirone's alternative (Choice 3), granted I obviously voted for my own submission ;P

17. Ujelly

Ujelly I need me some PIE!

Would love to see him as a niche archer rune instead of a good stuff rune

18. TinyPickle

TinyPickle The King of Potatoes

Actually I rather have declare target on elven strategist if he were to lose relocate: opponent and surge.

19. Karmavore

Karmavore MEDIUMALLTIME

Relocate isn't going, I'm not really looking forward stripping what he's been since release.

20. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

@Karmavore feel free to edit in whichever upgrades you think should be the default ones.