Clairvoyance

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by RedDain, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

you mean the next champion that enters play? I like it. :)

The next thing to address is cost.

2. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

That way the rune will not be used, just the champ with that abilitie...

Premonition for 20 nora its OP, i just read all game abilities in http://www.poxpulse.com/ability and nothing new came to me, i gess the better way to have clairboyance back to ranked match, its to add 2 effects, one before full reveal and another after it, or people will just wait to reveal all runes to use it.

Clairvoyance - Nora 20
    You reveal 3 additional runes this turn, and the next 5 damage dealt to a Kthir Elven champion, from a basic attack is prevented, if your already have all runes revealed, the ammount prevented increase to 10.

I should have one of it in my bg.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. Prami

Damage prevention from this spell is a bad idea.

4. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Too complicated.

5. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

Clairvoyance - Nora 20
    You reveal 3 additional runes this turn, and the next 5 damage dealt to a Kthir champion,
    if your already have all runes revealed, the ammount prevented increase to 10.

Less complicated, but a little more userfull than it should for 20 nora. And yet not userfull like Erilluns Favor (+1 spd for 10 turn) for 30 nora...

6. RedDain

Explain why. There are multiple forms of damage prevention in the game as a whole and several forms of damage prevention in KF specifically. The amount of damage prevented in the suggested change is quite small, and there is no global effect (like grintmaw hymn), no eater effect (like protection)... it is quite small, and of course the suggested changes need to be inspected for balance, potential abuse, and cost... but you simply state, as a "known fact" that this is a bad idea... why? Because you say so? Because it does not fit your model? That's no reason at all... that's just your tendency toward reflexive argumentation.

At the moment there are a couple of variations on the change theme...

First version: Clairvoyance gains Preordained and either target champ or next champ deployed gains gift of scrying or augury for 3 rounds. Once all runes are revealed, the next champ deployed or target champ gains "See the next attack coming" and takes no damage from next attack (or next attack misses).

Second version: Clairvoyance gains Preordained, next deployed champ or target champ gains scry/augury... Once all runes are revealed, next deployed champ gains premonition.

7. Prami

Because, if we just splash abilities and themes around all factions, then they lose their identities. Not even mentioning that damage mitigation via Grintmaw Hymn/Bubble of Protection are terrible abilities/effects that offer little to no feedback to the player.

I have a feeling that you are one of the player-council members. I am quickly losing interest in this game. I have a feeling that it's moving in a direction i won't like at all, but, I reserve judgement for the big patches. For the record, i don't like how the secrecy of the player-council has cast a sinister tone over the entire forums. Ideas are no longer being discussed freely, they are being discussed against those who people know have influence over what goes into the game. It's awkward & unpleasant.

All this game has left is charm, aesthetic appeal. If it loses that, then it has nothing.

P.S. To my knowledge, there is no outright damage protection in KF. None at all.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  8. RedDain

1) I am not and have never been a council member of any kind. You're paranoid and silly.
    2) Many, many ideas are being discussed freely in almost every forum... again, you're paranoid and silly.
    3) Outright damage protection? Lifeshield? Protection? Divert? Those don't count?????

9. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

after all thats been said, i would support change made with a damage prevention clause. that would be flavorful and wouldnt (to me) feel like a waste of nora. are you wanting it to be a hidden effect like protection or divert?

10. RedDain

I think it should not be hidden, if the damage clause is what arises from discussion.

11. Prami

1.) That's exactly my point. Since it wasn't announced it makes things awkward and unpleasant. I keep on mixing you up with Nid though, so there's that. There's still the question as to whether you're simply an alt. account of Nid, since there's no system in place to prevent it.
    2.) See #1
    3.) Those aren't outright damage protection. Lifeshield blocks a spell, divert changes the receiver, and protection gives the receiver eater of the damage type received. None of those give an invisible shield that gives no feedback to the player, except in the combat log (even then, not adequately).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  12. RedDain

So make it have an animation, like bubble of protection, and a condition icon. Let me be clear, I am not adamant that damage mitigation is the way to go on this... but I don't think that damage mitigation is out of faction -- there are several variants of damage mitigation that are strongly flavorful in KF. However, there are multiple ways to change the spell that give it more of a use. I agree that care should be taken, given the propensity for both devs and players to overbuff things and make more "omgwtf goodstuff" runes that are 2x autoinclude. I do not want that. I just would like to see the rune gain more use, a) because it expands the possibilities for making new and interesting decks, and 2) because I like the casting animation

13. Prami

Bubble of Protection still doesn't tell either player how much the shield will protect for, with each attack.

That's another thing. Given that there are 2000+ runes within 8 factions (250+ runes for each faction), letting players include 2 copies of most runes seems less than optimal for a diverse game. I'm warming to the idea of stricter rune limits for BG's. Maybe something like up to 4 L, 6 E, 10 R, and unlimited Uncommons & Commons. That wouldn't address the 2x copy issue though, so IDK what would be ideal.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  14. RedDain

I think that display/interface issues are slightly off track with respect to effects and abilities.
    Objecting to an effect/ability/condition change on flavor grounds is reasonable (although at this point there are so many abilities shared across factions that it's almost a meaningless objection).
    Objecting based on powerlevel is reasonable, and I think most important.
    Objecting based on the fact that other effects that are similar are poorly displayed? Not so much.

15. Prami

I still feel that damage mitigation in the way of Grintmaw Hymn belongs in IS. I feel that IS should be the shield/DEF faction & KF should be the squishier healing faction, and that FS should fall somewhere in-between, with a focus on magic (instead of innate defenses).

That there are other issues with this sort of damage mitigation, makes it something that is worth discussing here.

16. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

While we are at it, I´ll just drop by to give my 2 cents on what "faction identity" should look like. In my mind, we have 4 different kind of roles in Pox, per say: Tank, Damage Dealer, Support and Harass - what gets left aside is really non important, at least in my view. With that in mind, this is how I think the 4 factions in each side would look like:
    Protectorate:
    IS: Tank
    ST: Damage Dealer
    KF: Support
    FS: Harass

Wrath:
    SL: Tank
    UD: Damage Dealer
    FW: Support
    FS: Harass

Thought I´d give my 2 cents because this is a topic I´m very interested in (faction roles and what not).
    To the Clairvoiance discussion I have nothing to add, since I didnt read the whole thread.
    Carry on.

17. Prami

This feels too general to me. With 250+ runes in every faction, there will of course be units to fit every role (general roles), within every faction. Spells are different though, and they carry much more faction identity than champions.

18. TinyPickle

TinyPickle The King of Potatoes

How about > the next deployed champ gets +2ap?

19. Prami

I still like Premonition better.

20. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

An interesting new ability would be for the spell to show the other player's revealed runes. No idea on Nora Cost, duration, # of runes, whether it should be revealed, all runes, unrevealed, etc.