Clairvoyance

Discussion in 'K'Thir Forest' started by RedDain, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Prami

Prami I need me some PIE!

I think this should be done anyways. Either before the match, while loading, or available to view during; all runes in each players BG should be available to view.

Contentious opinion, i know.

2. GIFTbr

GIFTbr Member

Make champios imune to abilitites its too OP prami, its a 20 nora spell dude, just for add a targed to it, its already OP.

Truth to be told, clairvoyance its a useless rune, the way it is now, add a new effect its what can make it be un-shoeboxed, but the meaning of clairboyance its to reveal runes, and for 20 nora, he dont delivery it... It need to be a realy deal break reveal to worth 20 nora only for that, and if you decreasse nora cost, that can be OP in some combos like favor and adaptive, may be it should be like revel 5+ runes, may be, even near 10 runes, to double cast it in early rounds and get your runedoc allmost fully revealed, but again, rune reveal its a game feature, you cant mess that so much, that is the reason of secondary effect.

I cant see a farsee like feature to be like impenetrable, gift of scrying add targed and have no meaning after full revealed doc, no cast: clairvoyance for sure, that is no point for the spell rune, reveal stealth champs also dont fit farsee like feature, cant be related with shirine and his HP, auto miss its OP, the attack can be a super 30 dmg.

To me i still see clairvoyance like:

Clairvoyance - Nora 20
    You reveal 5 additional runes this turn, and the next 5 damage dealt to a Kthir champion is prevented, if your already have all runes revealed, the ammount prevented increase to 10.

And now that i saw bubble of pretection for 40 nora 35 hp prevent and grintymal hym for 35 nora and 25+ hp prevent, i dont thing the additional effect so OP.

Also clairvoyance can be like this:

Clairvoyance - Nora 20
    You reveal 5 additional runes this turn, plus 2 additional runes for each champion, non ilusion you control.

But this way he still be shoebox rune...

Then if we mix it:

Clairvoyance - Nora 20
    You reveal 5 additional runes this turn, plus 2 additional runes for each champion, non ilusion you control.
    If your already have all runes revealed, the next 5 damage, plus 2 additional damage for each champion, non ilusion you control, dealt to a Kthir champion is prevented.

This way i gess i will only use after all my runes are revealed, then my pick still the 5 reveal 5 prevent, and after full reveal, 10 prevent.

3. RedDain

RedDain I need me some PIE!

Nice idea... not sure how to implement graphically or in game, but really interesting idea.

4. RedDain

No way. No way at all. Completely changes the entire game setup, completely alters the way people would approach the game.

The fact of the matter seems to be that you don't actually like PoxNora, you just like the pictures on the runes. You want to make a different game.

5. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Whether it's possible probably depends on what data is stored locally vs. data stored on the server. For instance, I can imagine programming this game in a way where your rune deck is stored locally on your computer/interface, and the server (and hence the other player) won't know what you have until you actually deploy. Alternatively, your rune deck might be stored on the server and the only thing the local computer sends to the server are commands about what to do with those runes. If it's the former, my suggestion would probably create major re-design issues. If it's the latter, then it might be as simple as recycling the coding that show your your runes and creating a separate instance of that code showing your opponents' runes and then moving it down 1/2 an inch on the screen.

I think there's value in building your decks not knowing what you'll face and in deploying your runes not knowing exactly what your opponent has (either revealed or potentially). It forces a choice between more "general" runes and more specialized runes that counter specific things. If, for example, you knew ahead of time that your opponent has no equips, then you might not ever consider your shatter champion. But if you don't know, then you've got to balance playing the shatter champion (which gives you protection against an unknown risk) against a slightly better champion without shatter. I like that choice.

But I do think that allowing people to see the other player's runes for a price might make sense, i.e. you have to give something up to get more knowledge/security about what you might be hit with next turn/after a powerturn. But there's a trade-off, which is less nora.

6. Prami

Considering that the aspects that you seem to like are all time proven to be failed and broken, i would say that only the broadest concepts in Pox Nora should be preserved.

It's something to consider Red. At the very least, every rune that has been played should be available to browse. More information needs to be given to each player, that much i doubt can find cause to deny.

There could be a text tab for starters, right next to the combat log. It could deal solely with the runes the opponent has played, in a list. Maybe somewhere down the line, they could implement a graphical display.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  7. RedDain

You must build a deck that can deal with unforeseen contingencies, and should contain enough flexibility to adapt to an unexpected situation.
    If you come into a game knowing what's in your opponent's deck, that aspect of the game essentially disappears. Gaining insight into an opponent's nora bank, or their rune pool... should cost nora.

8. RedDain

The aspects that I like are the ones that have kept this game active for 7 years. The aspects that I like are the ones that make this game an addictive menace to productivity.

The ones that I don't like are the parts that resemble checkers with fancy pictures.

Being able to browse what runes have been played? You can do that. It's called combat log. Does it work perfectly, without bugs? No. But it does work.
    Being able to see your opponent's deck before it's played? 1) That should cost nora, and should be a deck building choice you make, not an automatic feature of the game. 2) You should be able to predict what your opponent is running, to some degree or another upon seeing their first several deployments. If you cannot, you need to play/learn more.

9. Prami

"Active" he says.

SOE kept the game going with the bare minimum of resources dedicated to it. Pox Nora, as it is now, is a zombie. That doesn't mean that it can't live again, but it needs to be brought back into the modern era. It's a game out of time, in every way that can be interpreted.

It is completely unreasonable to expect players to browse a combat log.

You're expectations are again, unreasonable. No one in their right mind is going to dedicate enough time to Pox Nora to be able to predict what theme their opponent is playing with. What a way to chase away prospective players. Geesh...
    Not to mention that precious few runes have anything locking them in to any one theme. What you're saying is possible, but not as hectic as Pox Nora currently is.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  10. only

only Active Member

Target champion gains Gift of Scrying. This spell is Preordained. 25? 30?

11. RedDain

If the spell has no other effect (either instantly or after all runes are revealed), then it won't be run at any cost - people will run Occuli instead.

I'd say that for 30 nora, gain 2 rune reveals (Scry) and target champ gains gift of scrying... and it might be run.

Alternatively, for 30 nora, target champ gains gift of scrying (or augury)... if all runes are revealed, then target champ gains something like a) Premonition, b) Elusive/Intimidating for one attack, c) "Spy" (see 3 opponent revealed runes)... or ?

12. RedDain

1) For someone who castigates others about language, usage, and syntax... to use "bear" instead of "bare" is embarrassing. Be embarrassed now.
    2) Yes, active. It's not folded, so it obviously never went below redline levels, business-wise.
    3) Anyone who wants to be successful/win on a regular basis MUST be able to predict. Otherwise, play parcheesi. Even in checkers, you must predict beyond the next three turns in order to be successful. In Chess, or Go, you MUST predict at least 4 or 5 moves out to have ANY chance of being competent.
    4) It is completely reasonable, and expected that players will take advantage of every opportunity to browse/research what their opponent is using. Players who do not do that, do not read rune/ability/condition descriptions..... will lose on a regular basis.
    5) Finally, a reasonable point, and one that we are currently as a player community (along with the developers and coders) are struggling with. The blurring of faction lines/abilities/themes, and the explosion of super-powered abilities and runes in the SOE era is going to have to be dealt with, and it will be difficult and painful.

13. only

only Active Member

good call on giving something if all runes are revealed. I think it depends on how do you value Preordained.

14. dsjtheman

dsjtheman I need me some PIE!

what if instead of straight damage prevention, you gave it something along the lines of how granite bracers work and is coded. the first attack made on that champ misses. that way champs with ripost or arrow throw could benefit more from the spell. (it would also have a counter with precision)

15. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

I am not entirely sure how it would work, but would it be worth the cost of the spell if, after runes are revealed, Clairvoyance revealed opposing "hidden" effects like Snowblind, Righteous Deflection, Escape Magic, and Horrific Aura? If you suspected something to be up, you could cast the spell to see for sure. Clairvoyance could reveal hidden effects for 6 turns?

Prami likes this.
  16. Prami

I was taught to, when i write, always project my thoughts as a conversation first. I was taught to write the way i speak, thus words are phonetic before spelled in my mind. It's not such an uncommon habit.
    There are too many viable combinations to predict Red. That everyone talks about a meta for their faction, that exists outside of any structured theme is evidence of this.
    Then it should be completely reasonable to expect the player base of Pox Nora to forever stay below 1-2 thousand, and probably much lower.

Golden, common ground at last. Always a good place to start.

17. RedDain

Perhaps... but it's a bad habit.

No there are not. I can usually predict to within 85% what my opponent is running after 2 deploys, and I am nowhere near "top of the curve" skillwise. Meta for faction outside structured themes is sign of a dynamic play environment in which synergies arise in unexpected places. That is a sign of a game that has extreme potential. Otherwise it is stale, scripted and boring. If I want to play adventure quest or wizard 101, then I will.

Magic the Gathering faced very similar complexity, powercreep, synergy, thematic, flavor, and Overpowered/Underpowered issues many many times, and thrived. There is no reason why PoxNora must be prostituted, no reason why depth, richness, and complexity must be sacrificed on the altar of "dumbed down vanilla that any 5 year old can play"... there are much better options out there (again, Wizard 101, AdventureQuest, and so forth).

18. Prami

You are a long term player. You can't count yourself.

How would the game seem to a new player? Impenetrable?

I agree with you, but Pox Nora is not MTG. They are completely different games. I think we can get Pox Nora down to a League of Legends accessibility state, and i don't see a reason to go lower.

Complexity is not the target, accessibility is.

19. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

How is any of this on topic Prami and Red? Please take this to PM if it is important enough to you both.

20. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

I'd be interested in seeing how many people would choose to see the other person's deck beforehand, if that were an option before setting up a game. I do think it would help newer players who haven't become as familiar with the rune encylopedia but that comes with time.