Company hikes price 5,000% for cancer fighting drug

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sokolov, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

So you would be against a single payer system like Canada then? Or insurance in general even (car, home, medical)?

Just trying to understand your POV here.

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

No, I love insurance, I just don't think it should be a reason to tolerate ridiculous profit spans on medical companies. The money still has to come out of someone's pocket, and that someone probably isn't rich.

Ohmin likes this.
  3. Sokolov

Would you say then that healthcare shouldn't be like normal businesses and more subject to price caps and other market controls by the government?

4. Boozha

Yep. Not very surprising, maybe, since I'm actually left, other than US democrats

5. Sokolov

Except that it does appear they might be doing something. They are currently investigated for restricting distribution so that other companies can't get the samples they need to develop generic variants.

6. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

With the iPhone comparison:

I think that people would be willing to pay whatever price for health, the question is whether they should.

Luxuries can cost whatever, they're luxuries and not needed. But when it comes to things that are needed, hiking the price becomes immoral, you know that the patient doesn't have a choice in the matter.

I'm lucky to live in the UK where we get free healthcare (thank God). I think free healthcare should be available in all countries developed enough to provide it.

Boozha likes this.
  7. Boozha

It's as hilarious as sad that countries like Brazil and Cuba treat US tourists without even charging them anything while the US can't even sort it out for their own citizens.

8. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

But doctorz$ must make moneyz$

9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty